Howdy

Greetings from Australia,

I have been lurking for a week or so now and thought I would register and say hello!

New to the whole 501st world, already introduced myself to my local garrison on their forums. Love watching troop videos on the web, looks like a lot of fun.

Already reached out to Armor Masters for an ESB Stormtrooper setup rough costing as they are seemingly one of the best for the taller aspiring trooper.

Looking forward to one day getting out there.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Holocron
  • Like 3

Hello once again Steve, glad to see you made your way here and doing your research, here's a helpful thread full of links to other resources

Also keep a check on the requirements for Stormtrooper ESB approval, CRL (costume reference library) is here https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_esb

It is very easy to convert from an ESB to ANH version so you can gain approval for two versions with the same costume, a second helmet, different hand plates and holster and you are nearly there, some info in this spreadsheet on the differences https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

As well as info on our DSG forum in the member section you can also read through the Join Us section of the legion info area: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Join_Us

Good luck with the research, looking forward to seeing a build from you soon. 

• Like 2

Hey Howdy Hey there Steve!

Glad you've made it over to the FISD. You are correct this is a lot of fun. All the smiles you can bring whilst being an anonymous cog in the imperial machine are well with the investment in your costume and time. And as Glenn already mentioned you can get double duty out of that costume with just a couple add ons.

Good luck sir. I look forward to your build beginning.

Sent from my sorrosuub C1 comm link device using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Steve, welcome to FISD. Glen has given you a lot of very important information, so, you have a good starting point.:jc_doublethumbup:

If you have more questions, we are here to help. One question, a thousand questions..., don't worry, we love questions!!!!:salute:

Keep us updated!!!:duim:

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words and guidance. Nice to know about the double duty with some minor changes.

Looking forward to the journey.

One question for you all, how hot does it get in a trooper costume, I expect it to get hot but hopefully not oven like haha

Edited by Holocron
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

Esb stormtrooper, great choice!
Recently had my esb tk (my first build) approved, and waiting on my first troop.

I'm a taller guy too (6'4" / 193cm), and I got my armour from RWA, a UK based armour maker. Wherever you get your armour from, have a good chat with the supplier first to make sure you get the best size parts for your frame. I made some mistakes meaning I had to replace some parts or work a bit harder to make them fit. Plenty of folks on here that can advise as well (ask lots first before ordering!).

All the best with your outfit mate

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Holocron said:

One question for you all, how hot does it get in a trooper costume, I expect it to get hot but hopefully not oven like haha

Well it can get warm here and hottest troop in my TK was 39C. You do get hot but any slight breeze can help, also a compression undersuit helps keep cooler than using cotton, FYI Kmart have compressiom tops and pants in sporting area currently @$15 each from memory.

Most of us run fans in our helmets to stop fogging, it does also trick the mind into thinking you are a little cooler feeling the breeze on your face.

I'd say come to Supanova convention next weekend and say hi but it's just been canned, covid restrictions strike again :(

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Holocron said:

Welcome, Steve!  I have trooped in 98 degree (36 Celsius) with no major issues.  Depending on the type of under suit you get, they will wick away excess moisture and help keep you cool.  Another important thing to think about is installing small fans in your helmet... these definitely help!  Keeping hydrated is a MUST.

Good thinking on AM for your armor.  I have trooped in mine for years with no issues (cracking or yellowing).

As others have mentioned, we are here to help every step of the way, so always feel free to ask whatever you need to.  Best of luck on your white armor journey!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Well it can get warm here and hottest troop in my TK was 39C. You do get hot but any slight breeze can help, also a compression undersuit helps keep cooler than using cotton, FYI Kmart have compressiom tops and pants in sporting area currently @$15 each from memory.

Most of us run fans in our helmets to stop fogging, it does also trick the mind into thinking you are a little cooler feeling the breeze on your face.

I know great minds think alike, lol, but how do you always manage to stay one minute ahead of me, Glen?  :laugh1::laugh1:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I'd say come to Supanova convention next weekend and say hi but it's just been canned, covid restrictions strike again :(

Nooooooooooooooo

Maybe next time. ☹️

I know one of our snowies used an ice pack with harness at times as they get particularly hot, but I've not needed one so far.

Cold can be almost as bad, I remember a wedding late in the afternoon with photos next to a lake, cold breeze whipped right through the and could feel it in my bones, a second cotton undersuit was purchased the very next day, wearing both helps those cold events

10 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

I know great minds think alike, lol, but how do you always manage to stay one minute ahead of me, Glen?  :laugh1::laugh1:

That's what she said :laugh1::laugh1:

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Steve, great to see another Aussie hit the forums. You are in good hands here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, Steve and welcome to a wonderful new world. Enjoy the exploring, the researching and the valuable advice and suggestions you will get. You’re in for a great journey and look forward to officially welcoming you into the 501st at some point. Good luck!

G’day Steve

You’re in good hands with Glenn and the WA crew. I’m over in Melbourne, but give us a hoy if you need any advice or help

I bought my compression stuff from Aldi. Obvo it doesn’t get as hot here, but it does the job and at the price point its cheap enough to buy a couple of sets

Cheers

Rudi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words.

Great to see so many friendly people.

Thanks for all your tips, I am sure I'll have many more questions in the future.

Got a reply from Dave C at davesdarksidedepot@gmail.com (armor masters), lots of helpful info about the kits with time frames and costs.

The excitement is building :)

• Like 5

Ahh the joys of work taking my time away from this fun haha

Talking with Dave from AM, I am leaning towards his Armor commission build which he offers.

Has anyone done this method before? I am also interested in the fan kit option he has for the helmet and the Thermo Detonator clips with screws.

Also didn't know there were options to add electronics in the helmet for voice and hearing, amazing haha, Has anyone tried these or done something similar?

Looking around at the E-11's, are the one offered by RS propmasters approvable?

Dave's work is solid, so you wont have any problems there. One thing to note is commission builds frequently need resizing to fit perfectly because there is only so much you can do without having the trooper there with you when working on accurate size. Dave will ask for a series of measurements to get it as close as possible, but what you miss out on ultimately is the experience of building it yourself.

There is a whole bunch of satisfaction that comes with assembling your own kit, I cant stress that enough.

Helmet fans make a difference for sure, and there are several systems available including what I make locally in Australia, so shoot me a PM if Glen can't help you out locally, and I'll give you some info on what I can offer.

As to hearing and mic/amp systems, many of us use these, I have hearing assist and run a microphone and Aker Amp for volume, which works well in crowds like conventions etc. @ukswrath makes some excellent products so check out his threads for price and availability.

Icomm units add modulation, static bursts to the amp set up but can be a little synonymous with malfunctioning after about 12 months.

What was the RS blaster worth?, you may have better options with high end resin printed blaster these days as the old Doopy Doos kit which many of us have are very hard to come by now.

20 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

What was the RS blaster worth?, you may have better options with high end resin printed blaster these days as the old Doopy Doos kit which many of us have are very hard to come by now.

The two options they have for ESB are

https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/snowtrooper/snowtrooper-blasters/blaster-e-11-empire-strikes-back-style-stuntbackground/

https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/snowtrooper/snowtrooper-blasters/blaster-e-11-empire-strikes-back-style-hero/

• 2 weeks later...

Order placed with AM. :D

Went for ESB version with the bucket breeze, Ukswrath voice and hearing, E-11 hasbro conversion blaster with boots, undersuit and neck seal.

Here we go!!

Edited by Holocron