XYDIU's TFA FOTK Build Thread (KB Props 2021)

XYDIU

Alright, not much done over the past couple of days, but I did fully attach the ab boxes to the abdomen:

EDCRIlz.jpg?1

Ab Boxes attached

One thing to note is that I saw (after taking that photo) that the 4th box and 5th box were a bit high compared to the others so I adjusted them a bit to be more properly aligned. 

A few more angles from above:

3nRHo9O.jpg?2

142kkKm.jpg?2

One of the other things I completed was getting the forearm boxes able to be glued to the forearms by using an excess piece of ABS like Mario (@/TKSpartan) suggested:

mOEwPnP.jpg?1

Unfortunately, it was a bit too close to the edge (the ABS "riser") that it sat too high when on top of the forearm plate. But since I used E6000 I was easily able to pull it off and reapply it with the correct distance. I simply did this by marking where it should be, placing it a bit in front of that line (inside) and then letting it get a bit tacky. I followed this up with then clamping it to the forearm plates so that it would sit in the exact spot it needs when I glue them together:

eP194cO.jpg?2
Forearm risers (underneath the boxes) being glued into approximate place (Forearm boxes are not being glued in this pic)

I also proceeded to lay out the belt boxes and match them together in anticipation for the belt kit that arrived today:

c5Aj47Q.jpg?1
Boxes on top of each other (In order)

i14mwzp.jpg?1
Boxes next to each other (In order)

Belt kit: 
7nX18Li.jpg?1
Belt kit from Belts of the First Order

I shall assemble this in the upcoming days, after this weekend (fourth of july.) 

Until then, there should be a slight slowing of updates, as I am waiting for the gaskets to arrive before I continue onto the biceps, shins, and thighs. 

More to come~

• Like 4

• XYDIU changed the title to XYDIU's TFA FOTK Build Thread (KB Props 2021)
9 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Looking good Jacob. great job ! :jc_doublethumbup: I hope to advance this weekend with the AB boxes too  :56pullhair: 

Thank you. Looking forward to your progress. 

• Like 1

Looking good Jacob. great job ! :jc_doublethumbup: I hope to advance this weekend with the AB boxes too  :56pullhair: 

Make that 3! I’ve been on hiatus due to work, but mine are trimmed and ready for attachment. Glad we can all learn from one another!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

So no real progress has been made for the past week or two, but I have recieved my gloves and my belt pouches:

hMzp1w2.jpg?1

Gloves are from Endor Finders and the pouches are from TrooperBay. I also ordered my undersuit, and that is on the way, but currently traveling "overseas." A further update is also my gaskets are expected to ship this upcoming thursday, so hopefully I'll be able to finish the trimming and gluing in a week or two. Anyways, more to come later!

• Like 4

Minor update:

Got the undersuit today in the mail: 
kj7ualx.jpg?1

I bought it from Stormtrooper undersuit, but just as a note for future patrons (from them), I bought a medium, which according to their size chart would fit someone up to about 5' 8" and probably weigh around up to 160 lbs or so. I am 5' 4", weigh about 135 lbs, but this was quite a tight fit on me. So I would recommend ordering at least a size up or so just to make sure. 

Also: Is anyone aware if Justin Morrison (as per the FOTK vendor guide) makes (or still makes) Metal holsters? I need one for functionality but am unsure what his email is or other contact. I see the facebook page links to his personal facebook, and was unsure if that was the proper contact. The other links seems to either 404 (facebook group) and the email link leads to just outlook.com. Would greatly appreciate it if I could get that email or whatnot. Thank you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XYDIU said:

Minor update:

Got the undersuit today in the mail: 
kj7ualx.jpg?1

I bought it from Stormtrooper undersuit, but just as a note for future patrons (from them), I bought a medium, which according to their size chart would fit someone up to about 5' 8" and probably weigh around up to 160 lbs or so. I am 5' 4", weigh about 135 lbs, but this was quite a tight fit on me. So I would recommend ordering at least a size up or so just to make sure. 

Also: Is anyone aware if Justin Morrison (as per the FOTK vendor guide) makes (or still makes) Metal holsters? I need one for functionality but am unsure what his email is or other contact. I see the facebook page links to his personal facebook, and was unsure if that was the proper contact. The other links seems to either 404 (facebook group) and the email link leads to just outlook.com. Would greatly appreciate it if I could get that email or whatnot. Thank you.

I've sent Justin a message for you, will let you know once he responds Jacob.

• Like 1

Ok Justin said to message him directly through messenger or email him on

justinleemorrison@outlook.com

he is still making the parts listed and more.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Alright got the holster and hardware ordered. Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, XYDIU said:

Alright got the holster and hardware ordered. Thanks again!

:jc_doublethumbup:

9 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Thank you !!  :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm finally back. The gaskets arrived last night. I test fit them and everything fit well. 

7M1n0qq.jpg?1
Gaskets before I opened them all.

Today I went ahead and then glued the strip for the biceps, after fitting and measuring based on what I needed to size it to with the gaskets on. I also check the size on the forearms and with the gaskets there really isn't too much room to size it down. Therefore I decided that I can put some foam inside on the outside "side" and use that to fill the space where my forearm is inside. 

xvyTcFh.jpg?1
Biceps being glued. 

In other news, I ordered the holster back about 10 days ago, but should be nearing being done and will be shipped soon, probably. And the helmet (and the F-11D Heavy blaster I ordered in this gap) will be done within a week or so, and should be on the way soon. 

One thing I was going to do today but was running into issues was the forearms. Mainly I am having a hard time getting it to sit still while it sets, as I can't get the magnets nor clamps in there due to it's weird angle. I was thinking about gluing it down, then having tape ready on it to tape it down while it glues, but I am unsure if that is the best method. Any advice on that? 

Other than all of that, I will start updating daily from this point on until it is done, unless I am waiting on something else to ship in meantime and I somehow finish everything else. 

More updates soon.

15 minutes ago, XYDIU said:

One thing I was going to do today but was running into issues was the forearms. Mainly I am having a hard time getting it to sit still while it sets, as I can't get the magnets nor clamps in there due to it's weird angle. I was thinking about gluing it down, then having tape ready on it to tape it down while it glues, but I am unsure if that is the best method. Any advice on that? 

Hi Jacob, which part of the forearm is exactly the one you are having problem? 

19 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Jacob, which part of the forearm is exactly the one you are having problem? 

It's mainly gluing the top plate to the rest of it. I am doing it one side at a time, but it seems hard to get it to sit still and make contact while setting. Like it will slide around a bunch, and I cannot get any clamps nor magnets in there due to the angle of the area gluing. 

4 hours ago, XYDIU said:

It's mainly gluing the top plate to the rest of it. I am doing it one side at a time, but it seems hard to get it to sit still and make contact while setting. Like it will slide around a bunch, and I cannot get any clamps nor magnets in there due to the angle of the area gluing. 

This is what I did.

Use a mix of systems.  Wood pieces, clamps , rectangular magnets and you can add some painters tape.

69qItfE.jpg?1

pDPItvG.jpg?1

Hope this can help you mate! 

18 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

This is what I did.

Use a mix of systems.  Wood pieces, clamps , rectangular magnets and you can add some painters tape.

69qItfE.jpg?1

pDPItvG.jpg?1

Hope this can help you mate! 

Thank you, it was of a certain help. I also decided for extra support to use tape as well. 

Speaking of:

Today I was able to get the other side of the biceps glued: 
8Mxtj3I.jpg?1

Biceps glued

And I glued one side of each of the forearms together, so I can make sure that they glue properly:

EvSpEFg.jpg?1
Forearms being glued

I did so because one of the forearms is a bit wider than it should be, that was just how it came, so I didn't want to risk it coming apart or not sitting properly. I made sure to glue everywhere except for near the front, so in this case about where the forearm box starts. Right now it is just the inside sides being glued and tomorrow I will do the others, after I check to make sure it worked on this side. After I glue that I will do a proper test fit with my gaskets and gloves. 

As well as, tomorrow I will probably start on the shins and properly measure and trim down the thighs too. 

More to come.

• Like 1

Time consuming but best to get everything sitting just right even if it takes a few days ;) 

• Like 1

Just a quick question:

After I took the clamps and all off the biceps, all glued, I taped up one to where I need it to be (when I close it with velcro. Question is that are these supposed to be this wide before closing them?
U7SeF89.jpg?2

Left is the one not taped and the right is. I know I glued the right pieces together, and it does come together fine, but the one I taped actually had a part of the glued seam pop up so I need to fix that. Besides that it just seems like a lot of distance to cover. Note I did not trim anything beyond the edges (nothing off the closure seam (it fits well with my gaskets.) Just curious. 

Thanks.

You generally don't use velcro there they are just glued together.

You want them to fit your arms without being too loose or too tight, I actually have some foam inside mine as if I trimmed them to match my skinny arms they would have looked too small.

gallery_14191_71_36469.jpg

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-rt-arm-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You generally don't use velcro there they are just glued together.

You want them to fit your arms without being too loose or too tight, I actually have some foam inside mine as if I trimmed them to match my skinny arms they would have looked too small.

gallery_14191_71_36469.jpg

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-rt-arm-

Right that makes sense. Also, what kind of foam did you use? I was planning on doing so as well with the forearms. 

Just now, XYDIU said:

Right that makes sense. Also, what kind of foam did you use? I was planning on doing so as well with the forearms. 

I just used some cheap furniture foam, yellow type, it's not too hard and not too soft, allows for some flex/movement

• Like 1

Update for today: 

Just finished up gluing the biceps and the forearms: 

V6oeOYO.jpg?1

Biceps getting their interior seam glued ( as well as part of a popped seam for the one on top.)

CuAkAHI.jpg?1

Forearms being glued.

Didn't get really anything done except that, as I didn't have too much time today, but tomorrow I will test fit them all, with the gaskets and gloves, to see how it looks, as well as then try to trim down to size the shins and thighs. 

More updates to come~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I just used some cheap furniture foam, yellow type, it's not too hard and not too soft, allows for some flex/movement

Ah got-cha. I was thinking of that, but unsure if that kind was ok to be exposed to the weather and all.