Esb handgaurds. Thread / cotton size.

Hi all. It's probably been asked before but could anyone please give me some advice on the cotton or thread used on the ESB handgaurds. I know many use an elastic strap method and just use the black stitching to look accurate. Any pointers on the correct cotton / thread size would be much appreciated. 

I used standard sewing cotton and just sewed around until I got the appearance of references.

ESBholes.jpg.63dc8fa291f5e387bf980b1982f286a4.jpggallery_14191_5_153470.thumb.jpg.9cbc726dbfb67d2961002009cf43713b.jpgESBTK1.thumb.jpg.d16baeec25e32687a253eba1794e1742.jpgESB_troopers_Leia.jpg.822b853d5bd873ec4e22719985a93ffe.jpg

• Like 1

I ordered heavy-duty nylon upholstery thread to use on my current ESB build as I figure it will hold up well.  It's arriving tomorrow, and if you don't mind waiting a week or so if you like I can send you a couple of meters (no charge), just PM me with your shipping info.

JxXY7Jj.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

I'm just about to make up some fabric gloves (sweaty digits in rubber is not so pleasant!)

What method do you guys use for attaching the guards to your gloves? Do you use the drilled holes to stitch to your gloves, or some other method?

Thanks,
Rich

1 hour ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

I'm just about to make up some fabric gloves (sweaty digits in rubber is not so pleasant!)

What method do you guys use for attaching the guards to your gloves? Do you use the drilled holes to stitch to your gloves, or some other method?

Thanks,
Rich

Drilled holes and stitched is my preferred way, more accurate too ;) 

ESBholes.jpg.46dd1638c28bdc96c18bff006550155a.jpg

EAhiROm.jpg?1   1tVcp3M.jpg?2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Cool. Thanks Glen.
Are they stitched at every set of holes?
Those pics look like some of the holes have no thread!?

I stitch mine at all the holes, I would say someone in the wardrobe department found a few holes sufficient.

9BG1uIM.jpg

RS also stitch all of theirs 

ESB-Gloves.jpg.285971470222bee5a0e3b9821f82cb34.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrickyT81 said:

Probably a naive question, would it not Ben black elastic looped round the fingers?

Probably It would be ok for Basic depending on your GML. For EIB an elastic strap  over the palm is allowed if wearing rubber gloves.

Hand Plates
These shall be clam shell, or snowtrooper-style hand plates and not the trapezoidal design seen in A New Hope. The hand plates shall be mounted securely over the back of the glove.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
If rubber gloves are worn the hand plates are affixed via an elastic strap over the palm.
If silk or satin gloves are worn, the hand plates have the correct visible stitching pattern using black cotton, with a five point/star pattern, equally spread out with 2 on each side and 1 in the middle front, and needs to be double stitched at each point.

:salute:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrickyT81 said:

Probably a naive question, would it not Ben black elastic looped round the fingers?

You can see from the angles of the stitches that they don't appear wide enough to go around the fingers, having them stitched would have been one less thing to put.

Here's an none stitched version for those who like elastic hoop around the palm, badly trimmed too ;)

gallery_14191_5_65054.thumb.jpg.032ee3b7f4648b51405544451a354e34.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, CallMeMrTibbles said:

I'm just about to make up some fabric gloves (sweaty digits in rubber is not so pleasant),

If you are not in a hurry, I still have a ton of the black heavy-duty nylon upholstery thread if you need some (no charge).  Just PM me.

• Like 2