Shoulder Bell Pieces

The idea is to use a heat source to soften the plastic just enough to allow you to slightly reshape it. Frankly I'd be suprised if a blow dryer actually got hot enough to do the job, but then again I don't use blow dryers. You could use a heat gun like the type used for removing paint, or a no-cost alternative is to dip the shoulder bell in boiling water long enough for it to soften enough (but not too long) for reshaping.

The idea is to use a heat source to soften the plastic just enough to allow you to slightly reshape it. Frankly I'd be suprised if a blow dryer actually got hot enough to do the job, but then again I don't use blow dryers. You could use a heat gun like the type used for removing paint, or a no-cost alternative is to dip the shoulder bell in boiling water long enough for it to soften enough (but not too long) for reshaping.

Ok thanks. I'm just worried I'll ruin it in the process. Once I get it soft enough, what do I use to reform it?

I've always used the hair dryer to shape my ABS .. it's never a big reshaping, but it worked quite well every time I used it .. for example, I've used it on my AP shoulder strap to shape it in an arc .. just pretty much strapped the ABS around any cylindrical object (bottle of wine should do it, then, I heat them up! Waited a bitfor them to be warm enough, and then, cold bath to freeze the shape!

They will come back .. but since I'm pushing it around smaller object in general, when extending back they'll stay pretty much in the middle and that's the shape I'm looking at.

For the trimming, yeah, for me, it's always been dremel and sand paper .. any grit that works for you!

• 3 weeks later...

i got a 2 temp heat gun. but on the bells, i used a piece of abs and rivoted the elastic to it. did that on each end, then abs glued the pieces with elastic rivoted on them to the inside lower edges. that keeps the bells pulled right up against my bicep pieces and arms. works totally great.

a freind used snap method, and theyre always poppin loose, mine will never do that, unless the abs glue breaks loose.

you DONT understand what i meant. i made shim pieces, and rivoted the elastic to THOSE, then glued the shims in place. NO rivot, except in the shim pice only connecting the elastic.

if ya like, i can try to take a pic of it if that helps to clear up your misconception of what i was saying.

I used snaps and never had them pop really. I did a rivet method as you describe but have had rivets rip out. Go figure :-p

You can always use two snaps instead of one. Have this on my current rig and have found it much more robust.