Lower Ab Extension missing on some armor

JasonG

Hi folks, 

Worked on my armor a little this weekend and noticed something about the lower ab part on several screenshots from Rogue one and from some of the armor displayed at Rogue One Celebration Europe.

For reference, this is the part I'm talking about:

wbT59yE.png

I was trimming my ab parts and needed a guide or a reference to look at. So this is the photo I looked at:

dQpBz7g.png

This extension piece seems to be missing all together on this armor simply because you can see the undersuit behind the belt.

Also looks like it's missing here:

GCtACB6.png

But here.....it looks like it is present:

G861oI4.png

There are actually very few photos of this part clearly visible because of the belt. I've also seen this part missing on at least a few stills from the Mandolorian.

So my question is, what is this for, is it needed at all, and does anyone recommend keeping it or not? I taped the back and front ab parts together and it jabbed me a little when I tried to sit (not that you should be sitting in armor anyway, right?) 

Honestly, I'd prefer to trim it off unless its something that is absolutely needed. If it's there to make the belt sit more inline with the ribs on the ab part, I might make a smaller lip to help with that. Seems like you'd also have a little more freedom and not such a problem with the cod part drooping and saggy trooper butt if that part.

I don't see this area specifically called out in the CRL, unless I'm just not understanding the part they are talking about. 

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Ah OK. Still, though, it's missing on the other armor. I can post screenshots from The Mandolorian, Solo, and displays of the armor with it also missing. I guess the point is its missing and I'd like to figure out why and if even need that part. 

You're attaching your belt to that part? Like.....gluing it or something? 

I wouldn't go off the Hot Toys figure you want to try use screen sources as not all figures are 100%

Here is another side view with no section on the rear, BUT it would help to have it there to attach the belt too. As we see with other TK's of this type some modifications have been made because of the wearers height

large.Rogue-One-Ultimate-Visual-Guide-b0

Here you see some on the the side but none at the back

large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-390

On the front I would think you are better keeping it for attaching the cod and belt. Most of the front images of troopers the belts appear to stay pretty rigid which I would think is because of this section behind being attached too.

Yeah it does look more like this part is missing on the back more so on the front. And I guess it would only be for keeping the belt in place on the front.

My armor has a tall 3 inch lip on the bottom of the ab piece almost as tall as a belt. I'd like to take that down some to maybe an inch. 

Are people gluing their belt there or velcro or snaps? Or does it just stay in place because of the teeth on the top of the belt?

I had planned on getting to my belt later this week, so I gotta figure this part out.

Thanks for the additional info and screenshots. 

• Like 1

I have my belt front permanently attached to the strip onnthe bottom of the ab plate, and snap plates onnthe inside where my cod attaches. I still have the rear strip but it's cut out the width of the center kidney plate. My back closes differently from what others have done. I have an interior plate that snaps in to close the torso, and the seperat ab plate velcro over it. My butt plate has straps that snap it to the lower strips on either side. And the back of my belt velcro over it and attaches at the sides over lapping the front belt ends.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, JasonG said:

Yeah it does look more like this part is missing on the back more so on the front. And I guess it would only be for keeping the belt in place on the front.

My armor has a tall 3 inch lip on the bottom of the ab piece almost as tall as a belt. I'd like to take that down some to maybe an inch. 

Are people gluing their belt there or velcro or snaps? Or does it just stay in place because of the teeth on the top of the belt?

I had planned on getting to my belt later this week, so I gotta figure this part out.

Thanks for the additional info and screenshots. 

Always a good idea to look through some of the build threads.

Although I have not build a R1 as yet I believe I would add most of my pieces by snaps and elastic, when you look through a lot of the screen references with running and bending you see the thighs and cod bend and hit the belt quite a lot, this could be part of the reason some of the behind material had been cut out as you see a lot in the mandalorian, reused armor modified, I can see some damage if everything is stiff and glued.

large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-127large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-412large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-388

Here are a couple of pics pulled from builds

iT6ndqk.jpgWtwX3FN.jpg

lBTy2iR.jpg

fvC3Hhc.jpg

Gr9GoLV.jpg

Ah yeah..... I see what you mean. When I taped my ab part around me and walked up the stairs in my house, it definitely seems like pieces would be hitting each other if I had my thigh parts on. From the pictures it looks like there would be some stress on that lower part if it's too rigid. 

That's helpful. I looked through some of the build threads but no one really mentioned them. I saw one other person asking what that area was for but then ended up leaving most of it. 

I think I have a good idea of what I want to do then. 

Thank you so much everyone for the input and help. 

• Like 1