Are thin areas of helmet a concern?

I bought a ROTK helmet from 850 Armorworks, who make it using the rotocast resin process. Apparently this can leave some thin spots along sharp corners. The plastic is thin enough that it's almost clear, and you can see light through these areas in the picture.

hOGMcZj.jpg

The eyes and frown are no big deal once I cut them out, but could the ears and mic tip areas crack over time? Looking for others' experience with helmet durability and guidance on whether I should reinforce those spots. Thanks!

It’s possible! My Anovos ANH bucket developed a crack near the left mic tip at a thin spot.

Many of us reinforce the insides with, basically, plastidip (or truck bed liner) and cloth.

• Like 2

I've only had one resin helmet with a thin area, I added some fiberglass resin and matting to the area, NOTE only add a small amount of hardener as during the curing stage it can put out some heat. You could also use JB Weld or some other type of kneadable glue or even bondo (automotive filler) but again with any 2part system watch out for heat transference ;) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harbinger said:

It’s possible! My Anovos ANH bucket developed a crack near the left mic tip at a thin spot.

Many of us reinforce the insides with, basically, plastidip (or truck bed liner) and cloth.

How does that work? Do you spray the liner and press on the fabric when it's still wet or something?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Moredhel said:

How does that work? Do you spray the liner and press on the fabric when it's still wet or something?

Depends. The plastidip + cloth method I’d need to dig up some info as I used a spray-on truckbed liner, thick stuff with some texture, so didn't need it.

As wook mentioned many use velcro and/or adhesive-backed foam sheets.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, Moredhel said:

I bought a ROTK helmet from 850 Armorworks, who make it using the rotocast resin process. Apparently this can leave some thin spots along sharp corners. The plastic is thin enough that it's almost clear, and you can see light through these areas in the picture.

The eyes and frown are no big deal once I cut them out, but could the ears and mic tip areas crack over time? Looking for others' experience with helmet durability and guidance on whether I should reinforce those spots. Thanks!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they "slush-cast", not rotocast. Rotocasting involves a big ol' machine that rotates the helmet in an 'orbit' that evenly distributes the resin.

il_570xN.2916304013_n9u7.jpg

If it was actually rotocast, you wouldn't have this problem (or not as bad at least). I haven't seen 850 post a photo of a rotocast machine in their shop either, so I'm pretty sure they slush cast by hand... Some extra resin and chopped fiberglass should set you right and isn't too difficult to add, and the mic tip area and around the neckline are common areas that crack. But at a minimum, I personally would do some truck bedliner to black out the interior anyways.

Edited by TheRascalKing