Shears E-11 Blaster Build 2021 (Doopydoos + T-Jay's)

Shears

Hey all --

Very excited to start my first-ever build thread. I'm a total beginner to this, so please feel free to chime in with any suggestions/corrections as I work my way through this. 

I bought the Doopy's kit and the @T-Jay completion set back in 2016, but unfortunately life got in the way. I'm finally finding the time to tackle this after doing quite a bit of research. I've really enjoyed @Altair's build seen here, as well as the overall guidance from the @FISD E-11 Reference Team seen here and hope to base mine off of their work (with a few additional mods). 

Below are all the pieces I'm starting out with. Despite having been with me for several cross-country moves, all of the pieces are miraculously accounted for! Resin freshly rinsed and ready to roll!

2081467999_allpieces.jpg.7b062dfb96b13b4054a89f77cbd5b10a.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on your first build, hopefully one of many.

Some great info available on this forum, looks like you have already been doing some research which his a great start. Good luck with the build

Looks like you are set to go, Thomas!  Take your time, ask lots of questions, and be sure to post up lots of photos (especially if you have an issue).  We are here to help every step of the way!

Hi Thomas, great to see you starting your own build thread here.

Looking at that first picture, it reminds me of the good times: resin instead of 3D parts:duim:

Guessing this will be one of the very last DoopyDoo's builds as it seems like the production is discontinued - at least we haven't seen any kits from DD shipped during the last 18 months. :blush:

But who knows, maybe it is just a little break...

Good luck for your build and keep the photos coming.

Oh, your Completion Set was from 2016 so better skip the Haribos.  ;)

Over time, some improvements were made to the Completion Sets.

Early sets for example had issues with the aluminum stripe snapping while bending it. Because of that, I changed to a different supplier and from then it worked fine.

Not sure if your aluminum stripe is affected by that, but if you post a sharp closeup photo of one end, I might be able to tell and possibly replace it with the newer version.

Also I am not sure, if the green stuff and the CA glue might have become useless over the years. Please check that as well.

And in case we end up with a 2nd shipment, you could consider to grab some of the later additions from the current version (like the rotary switch or the crosshair lens and so on).

Just drop me a PM for that if you want. :)

@T-Jay Thanks! I think i'll definitely take you up on this. I love some of the stuff in the new version of the completion set -- especially those Hengstlers -- I'll put in an order when I get a little further along and take stock of what I plan to do. 

• Like 1

First night was pretty straightforward (and pretty messy).

Cleaned out the holes in the barrel -- Started with my smallest drill bit to get a pilot hole in the center of each one, then switched to my largest bit clear most of the material out. From there I used the routing tool in my Dremel to clean off the sides. Some of these might benefit from some finer sanding, but I'm saving that for another day.

I realize most of the holes I drilled out here will be obscured anyway, but I really wanted to get a feel for the resin in a low-pressure place. 

Also pictured is the canned air -- super helpful in clearing dust/flakes from the barrel and making sure I could see what I'm doing. 

1149462846_barrelandduster.jpg.b0d655424a82691fa126a3a0faf0ed85.jpg

• Like 1

As a side note -- i've had to scale down the size of my photos here because my max upload size is 80kb... Is this some user error, or is there a way for me to increase that so I can post larger pics?
Thanks!

Cool! Looking forward to this build. Seeing a Doopy kit these days is quite rare. And you have Tino's completion set to top it off.

Good thing you have not lost any parts during your moves. There are so many fun mods you can do to make this kit look top notch. Best of luck. Will be following.

Did a bit of work on the handle today

Used the dremel to shave off the resin screw

T0ovCe2.jpg

Got it nice and smooth

xPebqQM.jpg

Found the center point and drilled the hole:

ZXwoDtx.jpg

Screw in. Easy! Question: should I leave this "turnable" or would anybody recommend gluing it in there?

j0MlXaK.jpg

Next I looked at the screw on the bottom. Seemed pretty like another quick win, so I went for it

lgeEP4g.jpg

After routing out the hole I put it in backwards to make sure I had cleared enough material for it to fit in

oPahbaGb.jpg

And there we go, its in. 
5Mik1AM.jpg

I know the progress here is minimal, but I've got to say that it feels pretty good to have just a few things done on the handle here. I'm feeling much more comfortable with the material and ready to get into the nitty gritty of it. 

Edited by Shears
  • Like 3

As a side note....

Big thanks to @Chemi for the imgur link. Made linking things here a lot easier! When I went to register for an account it said I already had one (though I had no memory of making it). I went through the password recovery process and was able to access an account I apparently made back in 2015. There was only one photo (see below) that I had apparently uploaded to post somewhere.

What you're looking at is a painting I made during at a "fun-datory" work holiday party the week of TFA's release. Obviously my mind was elsewhere and I couldn't be bothered with holiday cheer - I remember the instructor not being amused. Figured this crew would enjoy!

oLxXvsXb.jpg

Edited by Shears
  • Like 1

Nice work so far. For the grip side screw, I like things to be turnable. If the screw already sits fairly snug and you can turn it then that is good. If it is a bit loose you could drill a wider hole and insert a tube that you can tighten the screw into . 

• Like 1

Routed out the stock today.

hDPrbWn.jpg

Based on some feedback I had seen in other posts I tried to get as close as possible to where the indent line was. Successfully did the trick without cracking anything

rpyGhFY.jpg

I did get pretty thin on the side, as you can see by the translucence here.

NHZGHJy.jpg

Fortified with some green stuff right away

LzS0Qbg.jpg

Maybe I routed out too much, but the aluminum tube seems to be rattling around in there. Do you guys glue it down, or use anything to secure it in that area against the holes? 

You did a great job hollowing that folding stock. :jc_doublethumbup:

For the rattling of the tube, you can of course glue it in place.

I would just consider to postpone this step after you have done the paintwork.

Otherwise it could get hard to reach the inside of that folding stock.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 5:05 AM, T-Jay said:

You did a great job hollowing that folding stock. :jc_doublethumbup:

For the rattling of the tube, you can of course glue it in place.

I would just consider to postpone this step after you have done the paintwork.

Otherwise it could get hard to reach the inside of that folding stock.

Good call! I'm holding off on gluing anything until i've painted -- I haven't entirely figured out my plan for that yet, but its in the works. Speaking of which, i haven't really considered what 'hardware' and screws i'm going to have to take out before painting. Will definitely have to pay attention to the reference photos.

• Like 1

The stock looks nice! Well done hollowing it out. Glue  it in for sure if it rattles but wait to do this as Tino pointed out. It would be a difficult task to get even coats of paint in those hard to reach areas.

I went for quick wins this weekend. Seems like small stuff, but its all adding up!

Sanded off the of the resin on the bold , haven't yet carved out the ABS, but hey, it's progress. 

gDXXFaI.jpg

Also got these two guys in. 

c3lKIOe.jpg

Popped in the big grub.

YJWRZIM.jpg

Another quick sand & screw:

lJo4aYd.jpg

Hard to tell in the pic, but on the scope I got the shiny ones sitting flat and the three darker guys sitting above.

VpX7Aif.jpg

Lastly, I took out some space in the stock. Tried to keep leave the bit that should remain. Any tips here? I've seen this step discussed a bit in other threads. 

ry8bDee.jpg

• Like 2

Nice progress! The little details can sometimes take long to get right. For the scope screws, you are correct to have the 3 screws sitting above. the 2 slotted heads are actually recessed or sitting behind that mounting disc on the real scopes. So you could sink them in a bit more. Also the real scopes had a black filler on those 2 holes so on most real scopes the 2 slotted heads are not visible. You don't have to replicate that black filler but just showing it for reference.

E6sftrP.jpg

For the stock, that is a tricky area to clear out and get the inner parts reveal look. If you have any, use small metal files to shape the opening better and if you take too much off use the green stuff to rebuild where you want it. I also used a small wood chisel tool set to carve away the resin. It makes the job easier. The files will help you get better defined edges for the open space look. 

• Like 1