Painted Stunt TK bucket and the CRL

This has probably been discussed already, but I didn't immediately see anything in a quick search, so...

The CRL does not explicitly mention anything about painting a stunt TK bucket (from what I see).  The materials list at the beginning of the CRL imply the use of white fiberglass/ABS/PVC/HIPS/etc. 

Is a painted stunt bucket approvable?  Keeping in mind that the finish and color are going to be different than the material used for the rest of the armor - much like the screen used suits.

I saw a related question on FB and I didn't know how to fully answer. Someone wanted to know if people purposely paint their buckets a slightly different shade of white to better match screen used suits. I assumed this would jeopardize approval if the shade was too different as the CRL tends to go for "what the costume was intended to look like". 

Thanks

This has probably been discussed already, but I didn't immediately see anything in a quick search, so...

The CRL does not explicitly mention anything about painting a stunt TK bucket (from what I see).  The materials list at the beginning of the CRL imply the use of white fiberglass/ABS/PVC/HIPS/etc. 

Is a painted stunt bucket approvable?  Keeping in mind that the finish and color are going to be different than the material used for the rest of the armor - much like the screen used suits.

I saw a related question on FB and I didn't know how to fully answer. Someone wanted to know if people purposely paint their buckets a slightly different shade of white to better match screen used suits. I assumed this would jeopardize approval if the shade was too different as the CRL tends to go for "what the costume was intended to look like". 

Thanks

Hi Greg,

I’ve cleared a couple of my fully spray painted helmets with mild weathering/chipping. Can’t see any issues with it as long as it is representative of what we see on screen.

08e3abd3fc48c5afa1e3ce9028f7709f.jpg

Now, I wouldn’t go as far as trying to clear a “as they look now” type helmet, like the below. This is just too weathered to troop (in my opinion):

831920719948130cb95baeaf181b6541.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Now, I wouldn’t go as far as trying to clear a “as they look now” type helmet, like the below. This is just too weathered to troop (in my opinion):

I don't know, some of those screen shots from the Tantive IV sequence... . :)

Thanks Dan!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The original screen used helmets were painted white, but sometimes what is used as a movie prop does not carry over to something that is going to be trooped in a bunch. If you do not mind to keep touching up paint chips on the helmet every now and then go for it. 

Edited by viewoptic