Dremel Bit Recommendations

Hello,

I am helping my brother with his clone armor and we are both very new to costuming. I have noooooo idea what I need to use to cut the helmet or armor (Imperial Surplus). The bit we used was a simple disk, tried it out on the extra material we were given and it snapped in half. Our Dremel kit was a basic Harbor Freight one. Again, neither of us have ever made anything like this before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I mainly use 3 different tips, I use 3 dremels as I hate swapping them out when I'm in the groove

Drum roller

71bHr0n20eL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp

Deburring 

49dc9c6c193b43329f434e6ddf4c5164?v=8e576

Quick change cutting disk

61DByimJeKL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I used all 3 when trimming a resin helmet BUT I also had to use some small files and sandpaper in harder to get in cormers

• Like 1

Hello Gracie!!!

Well, I use the discs that you can see in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkRtw_xqcw&t=30s

I have used the plastic ones and the metal ones to cut ABS, both work fine and never broke.

I only use them to remove the excess. For delicate areas, it is better to use round-tipped scissors or similar.

This thread can help you too (Supply list for your OT TK build ....): 

Hi Gracie, welcome to FISD.

If I can make a suggestion, an additional tool you can use to trim some pieces is this kind of scissors :

wGV37D5.jpg?2

At least to me, it has worked great.  :salute:

I don't like Dremels on plastic, I find it tends to melt not cut.

For ABS armour I either used score and snap, or for curves lexan scissors.  If I need to clean up I used either files or sand paper.  You also don't need to go crazy with sanding, just a quick pass with something int the 180-320 region to take off any sharp bits.

The lexan scissors can be a bit hard going on the hands so some metal snips might be a pretty good choice!

• Like 3