Polishing Kidney Shims - Dremel Buffer?

I'm trying to polish up my kidney shims and wanted to ask some polishing advice.  I dropped a bit of weight over the last year and needed to bring the shims in a bit.  Its done, and now I've got to clean them up.  I'm using Novus to give it the proper shine, but I wanted to ask if anyone's used the buffer on their Dremel to polish their shims or their armor.  I'd like to speed up the process a bit, but I obviously don't want to damage the armor.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

I'm trying to polish up my kidney shims and wanted to ask some polishing advice.  I dropped a bit of weight over the last year and needed to bring the shims in a bit.  Its done, and now I've got to clean them up.  I'm using Novus to give it the proper shine, but I wanted to ask if anyone's used the buffer on their Dremel to polish their shims or their armor.  I'd like to speed up the process a bit, but I obviously don't want to damage the armor.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Dave, first of all congratulations for your weight goal ! I think I need a bit drop off weight too. :laugh1:

for polishing my armor I have used car polish , some soft fabric and physicals power , why this?, using a Dremel could cause the plastic to melt a bit in some places , I think you could try some test in a scratch piece of abs plastic first. :salute:

• Like 3

I try not to use any electrical buffers as you can burn the plastic if too fast or heavy, normally for hard scratches I'd use a automotive cutting compound and hand rub, for lighter scratches or dull surfaces Novus works the best

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

I think you could try some test in a scratch piece of abs plastic first. :salute:

Ya know.... if you're gonna use common sense.....:laugh1:

That's a good idea and I wish I'd thought of it.  I've gotten pretty adept with the dremel and it comes with the buffing insert, so I'm going to scuff up a piece of scrap ABS and see what the tolerances are.  I'll post a how to if it works.

thanks all!

• Like 1

What also works really well is the 3M Headlight Restoration kit (Home depot or Amazon for under $20). Using a cordless or corded drill take the kit supplied buffing pad and liquid polish and buff your cover strip area, and the rest of the armor.  Regardless what you use slow polishing works best, prevents plastic melting as mentioned above. 

• Like 2