TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

So I kitted up and boy do I still have some work to do. I posted in the pre approval forum to see what needs to be done and if I can pass at least for basic :) 

gRjpWcz.jpg

Thanks,

M

Edited by TK Monkus
  • Like 5

I posted this in the pre approval thread also but just in case see below on trimming the tops of my thighs.

I put on my torso and thighs to see how much I would need to cut off the thighs, and it looks like there is a good amount. I stood in a stance where each leg would have the most overlap. I have marked where I think I'll need to cut and hopefully you can see the marks and these will look alright. I then put it on again to see if the marks were in a good spot and the left side looks ok but the right seemed like I needed to go further so I marked further then tried again. Second time I tried them on it looked like the original line I made would actually work so I think I will cut to that line first as I can always cut more if I need. I also think I'll cut out the mobility cuts on the bottom. See pics below for where I am thinking of cutting. Honestly a bit nervous as I don't want to ruin my thighs :/ 

Left Side

TlNC1uQ.jpg

tCuxyXL.jpg

vkIhSyO.jpg

9chLaYF.jpg

htrqCFO.jpg

Right Side

tBT6hHK.jpg

vyIFTzH.jpg

QitIqjI.jpg

swdqchV.jpg

First try

U1dTK8z.jpg

Second try (first line is from the first try, second line was the "fix")

hQ9oHE4.jpg

Mobility cuts

6rC1Khl.jpg

KyvYEal.jpg

Thanks,

M

Just in case I haven't posted these (I forget sometimes, so many posts ;) ), some great builds for those with a shorter height, may give you some comparison for trimming 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38842-fragarocks-rs-stunt-build-not-to-scale/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42868-sha-shas-wtf-anh-stunt-build-complete/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Just in case I haven't posted these (I forget sometimes, so many posts ;) ), some great builds for those with a shorter height, may give you some comparison for trimming 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38842-fragarocks-rs-stunt-build-not-to-scale/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42868-sha-shas-wtf-anh-stunt-build-complete/

These are helpful thank you! I am not planning on trimming the fronts at all, but do I need to add the return edge back on to the sides/back of the thighs, or is it ok to fade out of the return on the front to none on the sides/back?

Thanks,

M

Once again posting this here in addition to the pre approval to keep it all in my build thread.

I trimmed the tops of my thighs and there is now no overlap! There is also far less noise when I walk haha. I have also found cinching my belt tighter helps to keep things where they should be.

I still need to deal with the butt plate snap area. I am thinking of heat gunning it so it sits more "flat" if that makes sense? That is the only area where there is still some rub, but when I hold it where it should be (pointing more towards the cod then towards the ground) there is no rub. When I bend it there is a point that shows in the side. I will circle it in the pic below, but can I just heat that flat again or will that pose a problem and potentially crack? See pics below (excuse the back pick. I am holding the phone over my head to get the shot in a mirror)

dl0xvyg.jpg

NTcTmFC.jpg

b94RUTU.jpg

Butt plate as currently is

CvtRgXL.jpg

Where I think it needs to be 

pY3v4Bq.jpg

Thanks,

M

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

These are helpful thank you! I am not planning on trimming the fronts at all, but do I need to add the return edge back on to the sides/back of the thighs, or is it ok to fade out of the return on the front to none on the sides/back?

You don't need to have a return edge there but can add them if you want too, they just help to fill up the area when you have thin legs. They are screen accurate to have but the DO's shouldn't require them for higher level approval

gallery_12157_59_37348.jpg

gallery_12157_59_4049.jpg

If needed here's an older thread with how to add a return edge with heat iron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

Where I think it needs to be 

pY3v4Bq.jpg

You may need to remove some of the return end on the butt plate as you can see when you bend it the return edge pushes outwards. Again be careful with a heat gun, practice with scraps, you can go from just moving to molten mess in the blink of and eye, it's also a good idea to have small blocks of wood handy which you can place either side if you get any unevenness in the plastic once heated.

I removed all my return edge from the bottom of the butt plate as I had seen the original armor had cracking there, this would happen when it was bent and cause strain on those areas. Once again if you don't have any return edge it shouldn't be an issue for higher approval.

gallery_12157_59_17433.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You may need to remove some of the return end on the butt plate as you can see when you bend it the return edge pushes outwards. Again be careful with a heat gun, practice with scraps, you can go from just moving to molten mess in the blink of and eye, it's also a good idea to have small blocks of wood handy which you can place either side if you get any unevenness in the plastic once heated.

I removed all my return edge from the bottom of the butt plate as I had seen the original armor had cracking there, this would happen when it was bent and cause strain on those areas. Once again if you don't have any return edge it shouldn't be an issue for higher approval.

gallery_12157_59_17433.jpg

Thanks Glen!

M

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Well I did my first "troop" at Celebration and it was a blast!! I had such an amazing time and met many great people from the 501st. It was awesome to walk around in my armor, but it also helped me find a few other issues that need to be addressed. With Celebration behind us I now want to get my EIB application in, but I have a couple things to fix first. See below some cool shots from the weekend, but they also highlight the issues I am having. 

First issue is my backplate. I normally had it tucked "inside" the kidney but was told it looked better out, as well as it didn't make noise like it does when tucked in from scraping. After looking through pictures I see that when it is outside the kidney there is a huge gap that you can see through and does not look good at all. This was one reason I initially had it tucked in, but I think it is an issue that just needs addressing. I think this should sit almost flush against my back?

Question: Can I trim the bottom of my backplate or is there a better solution? It is really the corners, but it could all probably come up a little bit.

Second issue is my sides. Both sides of my ab and kidney still are not lining up. I cinched the belt fairly tight and that helped a little, but they still sit unevenly. I am not sure what the issue is. We thought maybe the thighs (when they were butting into the buttplate) may have been a cause, but those have been trimmed and there is still a mismatch.

Question: Maybe I need additional strapping on the inside to hold these level on both sides?

If you need any other pictures just ask and I can try and find some, or just suit up and take more.

3V1SPbL.jpg?1

M4xkTk4.jpg

8voMdhT.jpg

o8CfhEA.jpg

Thanks,

M

• Like 4