TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Probably a reflection of light,  the inside stay white and also the rim, although this was just rubbed off black paint showing the original color underneath ;) 

Thanks Glen. For some reason that first pic you sent didn't come through, but those others are great. 

Thanks,

M

• Like 1

The helmet is fully assembled!

@TKSpartan I know you had recommended lowering the brow to fit more into a stunt build (which I know is correct), but if it is ok and will still pass I would like to keep the lower brow. I just like the look better.

I am going to probably try and get something other than the yellow foam at some point but it works for now. I am also going to try and get some mesh for the frown. The lens is not permanently secured yet. I will probably do a mix of what @justjoseph63 recommends with the SUGRU and what the RS videos recommend after I paint. Now off to start painting!

Question: Is it normal to not really be able to look at the ground while you have the helmet on, or should it be tight enough that when you tilt your head down you should see the ground without having to hold the helmet in place?

dInBi5m.jpg

xOm6hA9.jpg

@justjoseph63 lens attachment 

Thanks,

M

Grey paint on. I did about 3 coats on each part (2 on the ear). I figure the black line will clean up the edges of the areas as they are a bit unkept as of now. I think the teeth look ok, but if anyone sees any areas that need cleaning please point them out.

XCe3WND.jpg

1LLzHRl.jpg

uuHuhwG.jpg

tViJWxy.jpg

D7VxYHz.jpg

Epo4u8h.jpg

Thanks,

M

Regarding the helmet padding

9 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

Question: Is it normal to not really be able to look at the ground while you have the helmet on, or should it be tight enough that when you tilt your head down you should see the ground without having to hold the helmet in place?

Example-  On my first build I added pretty thick padding in the top, but it sat pretty high and I found I was constantly tilting my bucket forward just to be able to see.  I removed it (which lowered the helmet) and my field of vision was greatly increased.  I now only use padding on the sides, which is just snug enough to make sure the helmet turns when I turn my head.  

The lower your eyes sit the less you can see.  Our field of vision is not that great to begin with, so limiting what you can see can be dangerous at times (think small kids running up to you, steps, curbs, etc.

96ApnSd.png?1

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

The helmet is fully assembled!

@TKSpartan I know you had recommended lowering the brow to fit more into a stunt build (which I know is correct), but if it is ok and will still pass I would like to keep the lower brow. I just like the look better.

It is not a blocker in any level mate, it would be noted just like a suggestion . :salute:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Regarding the helmet padding

Example-  On my first build I added pretty thick padding in the top, but it sat pretty high and I found I was constantly tilting my bucket forward just to be able to see.  I removed it (which lowered the helmet) and my field of vision was greatly increased.  I now only use padding on the sides, which is just snug enough to make sure the helmet turns when I turn my head.  

The lower your eyes sit the less you can see.  Our field of vision is not that great to begin with, so limiting what you can see can be dangerous at times (think small kids running up to you, steps, curbs, etc.

96ApnSd.png?1

Thanks Joseph. I moved the current padding more towards the back and it seemed to help lower the helmet which as you said makes it look better and I can see better. Will probably play with it some more.

Thanks,

M

• Like 1

I added the black outlines and painted the vocoder. Apparently I do not have steady hands haha. It was not easy and there were many wipe aways and retries. I think it came out ok, but think I need to go back and do them again. They look a bit thick to me and think I need to redo the outline of the tears as it looks like there is more of an inward curve? I do think the vocoder came out alright though. See pics below.

oAGZvFO.jpg

GwoYR5i.jpg

FHahWmN.jpg

jiQZHjt.jpg

NPWy5WY.jpg

Thanks,

M

They look ok for width. Note the bottom corners of the traps are sharp not rounded ;) 

origBrside1.jpg.8ff3c1345d3fa37b021538afe1ff0c40.jpg DaveMANH06.jpg.ddce08733f69722a6540b4e6e6a7c084.jpg

This ear is a little wider on the front compared to the rear, the other side looks fine.  Note again the bottom inside edge is sharp not rounded 

jiQZHjt.jpg

DaveMANH08.jpg.6d082793bc19d806cbdb6b08c0a1848d.jpg

I found taping the outside helps to keep lines straight as well as gives a good guide, may be worth a try.

If you are not happy with the second coat you could go over with a permanent marker, bit easier to keep straight compared to a brush ;) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

They look ok for width. Note the bottom corners of the traps are sharp not rounded ;) 

origBrside1.jpg.8ff3c1345d3fa37b021538afe1ff0c40.jpg DaveMANH06.jpg.ddce08733f69722a6540b4e6e6a7c084.jpg

This ear is a little wider on the front compared to the rear, the other side looks fine.  Note again the bottom inside edge is sharp not rounded 

jiQZHjt.jpg

DaveMANH08.jpg.6d082793bc19d806cbdb6b08c0a1848d.jpg

I found taping the outside helps to keep lines straight as well as gives a good guide, may be worth a try.

If you are not happy with the second coat you could go over with a permanent marker, bit easier to keep straight compared to a brush ;) 

Thanks Glen! Will modify and post back.

Thanks,

M

• Like 1

While I am waiting for some paint to dry figured I could attach my holster to my belt. I saw it needs to be about 20mm from the edge of the belt and about 25mm gap from the bottom. RS has marked some points on the back already, but they are a bit off those numbers. The distance from the edge is about 35mm. How strict are the numbers here? Do I need to have it exactly 20mm from the edge or is that 35mm point ok? I will also need to cut the tops of the holster straps down as when it is 25mm from the bottom they stick out. Just want to make sure my numbers are correct before making any holes or cutting. It will then be secured with snaps on the back and a rivet on the front. See pics below.

v31tNi1.jpg

9daX7yx.jpg

5D0fY2c.jpg

Thanks,

M

Rubbed off the black outlines and had them repainted by my cousin who is an artist. Very happy with how she did! I also touched up my left ear.

I ordered stencils for my tube stripes and they came with ones for the traps and tears as well so I will hopefully get those on tonight.

YBPFwUM.jpg

mjHiNmt.jpg

QRUFmpx.jpg

hBLG7j7.jpg

Thanks,

M

• Like 1

Put the first coat of blue on the tube stripes. I followed the recommendation of @justjoseph63  and @gmrhodes13 and did a couple coats of white first. I'll let this sit overnight then put on the 2nd coat tomorrow. I also painted my ab buttons. I painted them so they dont go all the way to the bottom of the button, but how do they look? Do they need any added or taken away? I think they look pretty good.

6P3COU3.jpg

Oo1Fxpv.jpg

7lbtttg.jpg

9VUmH5V.jpg

0FvJfpW.jpg

LsZxVHt.jpg

kgcgzEz.jpg

Thanks,

M

Stripes are coming along well.

May be the photo but looks as if your last blue ab button is slightly bigger than the others, be entirely up to the DO's though. I find once dry you can go around the edges with wooden pop-stick or scrap of abs plastic and you can scrape away any excess paint around the edges.

LsZxVHt.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Stripes are coming along well.

May be the photo but looks as if your last blue ab button is slightly bigger than the others, be entirely up to the DO's though. I find once dry you can go around the edges with wooden pop-stick or scrap of abs plastic and you can scrape away any excess paint around the edges.

LsZxVHt.jpg

Thanks Glen, I think it may just be the pic but I may try and scrape a bit off.

• Like 1

I put the second coat of blue on this morning and just pulled off the stencils. It looked almost perfect! There were a few spots where some of the blue came up with the stencil, but after minor touch ups I think it looks awesome!

This means my bucket is now complete, which means my suit is now complete! I will let the touch ups dry a bit then do a full suit up for my 501st submission pics. Very exciting! This has been quite a journey. I know it is not done yet as I have some tweaks to make here and there and will tackle those, but it feels good to have a presentable suit in time for Celebration! (and hopefully by then those tweaks will have been made as well). Thank you to everyone who has helped along the way, especially @gmrhodes13 @TKSpartan and @justjoseph63 . I will post up pics once I do my suit up, but for the tweaks and fixes should I post those here or make a new thread?

fZkarlO.jpg

yVS6Yrv.jpg

t3oSdRJ.jpg

Thanks,

• Like 3

Great work, came out a treat :d uim:

Many post updates in their build threads even after finishing their build 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Wow, congrats on finishing up your build! Can’t wait to see you you fully kitted up for your submission pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Caleb!