TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

I adjusted the arm straps and they are currently drying. I will post a pic tomorrow.

I am about ready to glue the sniper plate on to the shin. Want to make sure placement looks good before I do though. Anyone see any issues? Is the small gap under the front ok? I can place big magnets to make that a bit smaller if so.

8D4vSxa.jpg

l7bPg4e.jpg

HuIAb6V.jpg

ZtubNwa.jpg

Thanks,

M

I glued on my sniper plate and so with that the legs are complete! (minus painting the ammo belt rivets)

On to the torso and getting the strapping set. I am going to go with the double snap method I think even though it may be a bit easier to follow the RS video and do it that way.

Question: I know there are certain rivets and screws that need to go in even if they are not "functional" if I am doing the double snap. I think it is just the 3 rivets on the Left side of the torso and kidney, and then the 3 screws on the top and bottom of the chest and torso in the front? Am I missing any others? Is it worth just following the original strapping method and then going back after and adding in double snaps in certain areas?

Here are pics of the legs.

U6MS3I4.jpg

aGLcoS4.jpg

ZM6R8r6.jpg

9yQhaYz.jpg

Thanks,

M

vor 24 Minuten schrieb TK Monkus:

Question: I know there are certain rivets and screws that need to go in even if they are not "functional" if I am doing the double snap. I think it is just the 3 rivets on the Left side of the torso and kidney, and then the 3 screws on the top and bottom of the chest and torso in the front? Am I missing any others? Is it worth just following the original strapping method and then going back after and adding in double snaps in certain areas?

Most of the screws for the original strapping are not needed. So you can skip the brackets entirely if you want to. In case you still want those screws, feel free to go ahead and use the brackets to install the small screws for the torso (3 sets of two screws for the chest, ab, back, upper and lower kidney and top of the butt plate). 

I first tried the original strapping, then removed everything aside from the screws and installed the snaps. In my experience, you could skip installing the original strapping if you do not plan on keeping it. Feel free to only add the screws in case you're interested in having that small extra, without the need to go as far as adding the elastic. 

vBh3tOD.jpg

The set-up that I use from the inside. 

Hope this helped!

Edited by Morgi
Added picture
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morgi said:

Most of the screws for the original strapping are not needed. So you can skip the brackets entirely if you want to. In case you still want those screws, feel free to go ahead and use the brackets to install the small screws for the torso (3 sets of two screws for the chest, ab, back, upper and lower kidney and top of the butt plate). 

I first tried the original strapping, then removed everything aside from the screws and installed the snaps. In my experience, you could skip installing the original strapping if you do not plan on keeping it. Feel free to only add the screws in case you're interested in having that small extra, without the need to go as far as adding the elastic. 

Hope this helped!

Thank you, that is helpful. I think I will just go the route of the double snap without adding the original strapping. If I need to in the future I can always go back and add what I need.

Thanks,

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TK Monkus said:

Thank you, that is helpful. I think I will just go the route of the double snap without adding the original strapping. If I need to in the future I can always go back and add what I need.

Thanks,

M

There have been some that even using the double snaps and elastic have added all the screws and brackets so it appears screen original from the outside, I don't I prefer not to add screws as you do run a risk of cracking across the screw holes, if you are going to add screws in these lips of the armor it is good to use a strip of ABS behind for extra strength.

You can use any method of strapping on the inside, just remember from the outside you want to have the 6 rivets ab/kidney, the "Han" snap upper right corner of the Ab, the two butt plate snaps and the single rivet bottom of the cod :duim:

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 2:25 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

There have been some that even using the double snaps and elastic have added all the screws and brackets so it appears screen original from the outside, I don't I prefer not to add screws as you do run a risk of cracking across the screw holes, if you are going to add screws in these lips of the armor it is good to use a strip of ABS behind for extra strength.

You can use any method of strapping on the inside, just remember from the outside you want to have the 6 rivets ab/kidney, the "Han" snap upper right corner of the Ab, the two butt plate snaps and the single rivet bottom of the cod :duim:

Thank you Glen! I think I will leave off the screws for now and just do those that you mentioned need to be on there. 

M

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am trying to make the strapping pieces and having trouble with the snaps.

I am following @justjoseph63 tutorial and doing the double snap method. 

See below what tools I have, maybe I just need different ones? I am using line 24snaps.

uhPLgtK.jpg

I saw @gmrhodes13 thread as well about setting them using a screw driver and I tried that way and still isn't really working, although that was the only way I was able to get to where I am at now. I used a Philips screw driver to try and open them up then tried using the tools I had, which did nothing, so tried using a bolt that fit inside to flatten everything and while one looks ok, the rest didn't really turn out (see pic). I can sometimes get one of them to snap together, but don't think it should require that much effort to snap them so I think I am either doing something wrong, or need some different tools. I am open to any suggestions.

4xOo9H7.jpg

Thanks,

M

I find those snap setters don't work very well, the ideal tools which come in some kits of snaps I found is these (only image I could find) not sure if you can make it out but the tip has raised sections around the tip which help split the post (a bit like the Philips head screwdriver), not sure if you can find these tools locally

s-l400.jpg.31c7e17d906f6b46c7fc0e847e4d01f5.jpg

When I used the screwdriver I did have to use a bolt to flatten the split post or they wouldn't fit properly into the other side

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I find those snap setters don't work very well, the ideal tools which come in some kits of snaps I found is these (only image I could find) not sure if you can make it out but the tip has raised sections around the tip which help split the post (a bit like the Philips head screwdriver), not sure if you can find these tools locally

s-l400.jpg.31c7e17d906f6b46c7fc0e847e4d01f5.jpg

When I used the screwdriver I did have to use a bolt to flatten the split post or they wouldn't fit properly into the other side

Thanks Glen. I will check around and see if I can find one locally otherwise will try and order one.

• Like 1

Made some progress on the strapping and rivets.

Thanks to @gmrhodes13 I was able to find a tool that worked to set my snaps. I use the Phillips head to split and then the snap tool for the rest, as Glen mentioned, and it works great.

aFs7sum.jpg

I added the 3 rivets to the side of the ab with the straps and added the holes to the side of the kidney, but decided to get my strapping set before attaching the rivets to the kidney.

0SDBpOP.jpg?1

5R0wwJ4.jpg

I also added the cod rivet and strap.

KljBD5l.jpg

IqEtMNp.jpg

And have the strap bases drying on the kidney and butt plate with the straps waiting to be attached. I am not using elastic as I hope this will help to pull the sides of the butt plate in as they looked like they were flaring out, although that was just with tape, when test fitting. 

8UyOAVd.jpg

hMcIgA9.jpg

7lXvut5.jpg

Once those are dry I will get the strapping on for the back and kidney connection.

If anyone see's anything that looks off please let me know. Thanks again Glen for the tip on the tool, very helpful.

Thanks,

M

Edited by TK Monkus
  • Like 1

Glad to be of help, good to see you making progress.

Just on your ab/kidney rivets, a bit late now but the are very close to the edge, shouldn't affect basic approval or perhaps EIB bit would come up in a Centurion review. 

Comparison's 

0SDBpOP.jpg?1

gallery_12157_16_12210.jpg

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

A fix would be glue pieces of plastic behind the holes, fill with ABS paste, then sand and polish, here's a thread if you want to tackle the modification

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Glad to be of help, good to see you making progress.

Just on your ab/kidney rivets, a bit late now but the are very close to the edge, shouldn't affect basic approval or perhaps EIB bit would come up in a Centurion review. 

Comparison's 

0SDBpOP.jpg?1

gallery_12157_16_12210.jpg

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

A fix would be glue pieces of plastic behind the holes, fill with ABS paste, then sand and polish, here's a thread if you want to tackle the modification

Thanks Glen. As I am shooting for Centurion I should make those changes now, so thank you for the heads up. Do you think I can I pry the current rivets open and re use them or do I need to find some new ones?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

Do you think I can I pry the current rivets open and re use them or do I need to find some new ones?

I have tried to open a few in the past to change elastic, some have opened ok but some I found the posts will snap when opening, worth a try though.

• Like 1

Hey Matt I had a similar problem getting those Ab rivets just right the first time except I was too far in :lol:.  Here's a link to my build where I fixed the holes using some circular plugs and Kmans ABS Paste tutorial.  My TK Build 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 1:20 AM, Hesikaya said:

Hey Matt I had a similar problem getting those Ab rivets just right the first time except I was too far in :lol:.  Here's a link to my build where I fixed the holes using some circular plugs and Kmans ABS Paste tutorial.  My TK Build 

Hey Scott,

Thanks for that. I think I will try a mixture of yours and using Kmans paste tutorial. I don't think I have a tool that I can cut out the circles with so may just do as Glen mentioned and secure a small piece of ABS onto the back and fill the hole with the paste.

Thanks,

M

I was able to remove all the ab rivets and even managed to save one to use. Now I will sand the back down and need to head to the store to get some acetone to make some ABS paste. Should I fill where the indentation is on the front with paste as well?

x67DEuQ.jpg

KvTXoVw.jpg

ml7WMj0.jpg

Question: I am guessing I will need to move the kidney rivets as well? I did these at the same time but thankfully the kidney had not been attached yet so I can pull the rivets out easily.

K6a5ZNf.jpg

Thanks,

M

This might help when it comes to applying the ABS paste: 

Whilst you're at it, it might not be a bad idea to fill the dents in the front as well, because that way you can just sand everything smooth at once. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb TK Monkus:

Question: I am guessing I will need to move the kidney rivets as well?

I'm no DO, so it might be better to listen to them, but at least to me those seem okay ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Morgi said:

This might help when it comes to applying the ABS paste: 

Whilst you're at it, it might not be a bad idea to fill the dents in the front as well, because that way you can just sand everything smooth at once. 

I'm no DO, so it might be better to listen to them, but at least to me those seem okay ;)

Thanks Luca! That link is very helpful

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, TK Monkus said:

Question: I am guessing I will need to move the kidney rivets as well? I did these at the same time but thankfully the kidney had not been attached yet so I can pull the rivets out easily.

Hi Matt, glad to see you were able to remove the rivets with no damage to the plastic.

As you can see in the bellow  comparison, and this is not the best new I would like to give you but  It looks like you will need to relocate the kidney rivets too.

zHwL4Mz.jpg

• Like 3

I made my ABS paste and filled in the holes following @kman tutorial on how to make it, @Morgi tutorial about how to apply it, and this link by @Ensi about how to shine. Thanks guys!

Unusnz3.jpg

hTGj9Vx.jpg

GzFIkm9.jpg

kGvMrQv.jpg

wuf3Ue7.jpg

I am not 100% happy, although pretty happy as I thought this would be a total disaster, with the result as you can still see rings where the holes were. Should I paint over that with white paint? I tested the paint on a piece of scrap and the colors are slightly different as the armor is more of a cream.  I did multiple layers of ABS paste and sanding and every time I sanded the rings came back. Do I just need to do even more layers?

Thanks,

Edited by TK Monkus

I also marked up where the new holes should go and would like to just double check they are correct this time so I do not have to do this again...ever.

The dots would be where the hole is drilled following this guide.

IWbG4OS.jpg?1

OYDf9Gl.jpg

wOu2uDw.jpg

Once I paired the Ab and Kidney I noticed in order to line them up, I may need to trim the corner off the top. Is that ok to do? See pictures below and red line about where I would trim.

HsUTDsR.jpg

kzq7VgW.jpg

Thanks,

M

9 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

Once I paired the Ab and Kidney I noticed in order to line them up, I may need to trim the corner off the top. Is that ok to do? See pictures below and red line about where I would trim.

Hi, Matt

Great work with the ABS repair.  :duim:

Would you mind to add a photo  but aligning the Ab top section with the kidney please ?   It would be prefearable to see the complete pieces Top to bottom.  Thanks.

UnPvmDT.jpg?2  

2 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi, Matt

Great work with the ABS repair.  :duim:

Would you mind to add a photo  but aligning the Ab top section with the kidney please ?   It would be prefearable to see the complete pieces Top to bottom.  Thanks.

UnPvmDT.jpg?2  

Hey Mario,

Thank you!

See below a pic with the tops aligned best I could. Is that what you were looking for?

IwQNYMW.jpg

Thanks,

M

23 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

Hey Mario,

Thank you!

See below a pic with the tops aligned best I could. Is that what you were looking for?

Great !! That's exactly.

What I would do is to trim the lower section return edge a little more as below. 

Lul0Mcd.jpg?1

Littel return edge References

kE47y4q.jpg

RcLW3Gj.jpg

Check the distance and mark with pencil before to check again,

7R4bYpE.jpg?1

:salute:

• Like 3