TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

Biceps are glued an drying.

While those are drying I have my forearms sized so my hand just grazes the edges of the wrist area as I put them on. 

There is a part on both back sides that I have marked that I think can be trimmed down. Can I trim that? ( see pic below) There is no return edge on the top inside forearm but I have left a little bit on the outside to make the armor look more full. All return edge has been removed from both wrist ends. Also which arm has the cover strip cut at an angle? Is it the left?

ubm4nUE.jpg

drying biceps

Left Forearm

G5GhW7R.jpg

QAax1M4.jpg

can I trim that?

RQcJhBk.jpg

yRsp5Z4.jpg

Right Forearm

WOED7lU.jpg

s3DaT35.jpg

25J2xPj.jpg

Thanks,

M

I have no issue with the taller piece sticking up, as the shoulder bell will cover it when wearing your armor, but I would suggest rounding it out as seen below.  That point on the return edge could cause some discomfort. ;)

ju9OqHI.jpg     jrF2GCJ.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I have no issue with the taller piece sticking up, as the shoulder bell will cover it when wearing your armor, but I would suggest rounding it out as seen below.  That point on the return edge could cause some discomfort. ;)

ju9OqHI.jpg     jrF2GCJ.jpg

Thanks Joseph will do.

On the forearms, can I trim these areas where the markings are?

s3DaT35.jpg

G5GhW7R.jpg

Thank you,

M

11 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

Thanks Joseph will do.

On the forearms, can I trim these areas where the markings are?

s3DaT35.jpg

G5GhW7R.jpg

Yes you can, here is one of Joseph's images from his return edge thread

6eXuxQX.jpg?1

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tat2trooper said:

You could move them to the back and trim from the front since there can be no return edge at wrist area of forearm.

You have to be careful doing this as you can run the risk on the front of trimming too close to the inset squares on the sides. If you look at this image you can see exactly how far it would bring the front down so I'd stick with trimming the rear.

G5GhW7R.thumb.jpg.2c7069e181d6b103c9a8199dea5b913d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tat2trooper said:

You could move them to the back and trim from the front since there can be no return edge at wrist area of forearm.

26 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You have to be careful doing this as you can run the risk on the front of trimming too close to the inset squares on the sides. If you look at this image you can see exactly how far it would bring the front down so I'd stick with trimming the rear.

G5GhW7R.thumb.jpg.2c7069e181d6b103c9a8199dea5b913d.jpg

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the options but think I will just cut from the top as I don't want to mess up those outer dimples.

M

• Like 2

I cut those edges off the forearms and because of that I needed to remove the return edge at the tops as well, so I have removed all the return edge on all parts of the forearms.

I have a fitting question. 

My wrist side is as tight as I think I can make it and still get my hands through, however the upper part seems like it is still pretty big and can be sized down? See the pics below. You can see the left inner side sits flush with my arm at the bottom, that evens out if my arm is in pretty much any other position.  Also once the cover strips are on it will get a more "circular" shape which will create a little bit more space I think. If you need any additional pics let me know and I will post.

qMOfwxe.jpg

return edge gone

Right forearm

cJivzjx.jpg

sRUNsdN.jpg

Left forearm

UXsEomj.jpg

90yiPNS.jpg

Thank you,

M

The right forearm looks great!  It may be the camera angle, but the left one doesn't look nearly as round shaped.  If so, you may need to heat bend them a bit** to get the same shape as the right one.  It may also help to use interior cover strips*** that are a bit wider than the outside ones to help retain that shape.  They don't have to be pretty (no one sees them anyway) and they won't affect approval at any level.

REokvBp.jpg     AJsRKMg.jpg   SvuzYpW.jpg

**I suggest the hot water method as opposed to heat guns.  Trust me.

***When you get to the lower leg armor, I HIGHLY suggest using interior cover strips on the inside of the fronts.  Those areas get a lot of wear and tear from opening/closing them, and having that strip will reinforce the seam.  ;)

• Like 1

Hey trooper.

Looks like your steaming through. :-)

Just out of interest, are you following the tutorial videos by RS Prop Masters themselves? They guide you through every part, cut line, coverstrips, measurements of the originals. They will really help you match up all of the correct parts and maximise the end result of this beautiful suit. :-)

The right forearm looks great!  It may be the camera angle, but the left one doesn't look nearly as round shaped.  If so, you may need to heat bend them a bit** to get the same shape as the right one.  It may also help to use interior cover strips*** that are a bit wider than the outside ones to help retain that shape.  They don't have to be pretty (no one sees them anyway) and they won't affect approval at any level.

***When you get to the lower leg armor, I HIGHLY suggest using interior cover strips on the inside of the fronts.  Those areas get a lot of wear and tear from opening/closing them, and having that strip will reinforce the seam.  

I’d definitely recommend trying the internal
Cover strips before resorting to hot water. Despite what people who have had success with it may tell you - using hot water to bend the parts is very much a lottery, at least in my experience. I’ve had it work with no issues, and I’ve had it ruin parts completely. T’s very difficult to do with any degree of accuracy and think it should only be suggested as a last resort.

I had a similar issue with my external cover strips not sticking on the forearms. Fitting internal strips first completely solved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

***When you get to the lower leg armor, I HIGHLY suggest using interior cover strips on the inside of the fronts.  Those areas get a lot of wear and tear from opening/closing them, and having that strip will reinforce the seam.  ;)

Thanks Joseph.

Both pictures you posted are of the right forearm, did you mean the left or are both maybe off? Here are a couple different angles of both sides. And then pictures with an internal cover strip clamped in. Sorry the clamps make it a bit difficult to see. The left inner side is a bit oddly shaped because there is more taken off the bottom side as there was no ridge there so I took more for sizing. I marked where I could maybe cut to make that scoop more symmetrical, but don't know if the would work as I would then be taking off some of that inside ridge.

I will definitely keep in mind to add the inner cover strip on the shins. Should I also do that to the thighs? 

aNqQ5th.jpg

sIHoxMH.jpg

58EB0Un.jpg

Right Forearm 

DUWhrao.jpg

elbow side

DxMRw1w.jpg

wrist side

X74mwd3.jpg

inside

Left Forearm

ekvf613.jpg

elbow side upper as clamps made it hard to see

GsIEvk2.jpg

elbow side lower

QvstHxD.jpg

wrist side

7q7l3OL.jpg

inside where I could potentially cut scoop?

Thanks,

M

Edited by TK Monkus

6 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hey trooper.

Looks like your steaming through. :-)

Just out of interest, are you following the tutorial videos by RS Prop Masters themselves? They guide you through every part, cut line, coverstrips, measurements of the originals. They will really help you match up all of the correct parts and maximise the end result of this beautiful suit. :-)

Hey Dan. I am, although there sizing still seems a bit big for me. I am trying to fit the suit to me which since I am skinny think will be a bit less than what their measurements are. Should I cut to those and just add padding inside? Obviously a bit late on the arms parts if so...

Thanks,

M

6 hours ago, Short4ATrooper said:

I’d definitely recommend trying the internal
Cover strips before resorting to hot water. Despite what people who have had success with it may tell you - using hot water to bend the parts is very much a lottery, at least in my experience. I’ve had it work with no issues, and I’ve had it ruin parts completely. T’s very difficult to do with any degree of accuracy and think it should only be suggested as a last resort.

I had a similar issue with my external cover strips not sticking on the forearms. Fitting internal strips first completely solved the issue.

Thanks Charlie. I will be trying the internal cover strips. Can I do a hot water bath with cover strips on, or would they need to come off first?

Thanks,

M

1 hour ago, TK Monkus said:

Hey Dan. I am, although there sizing still seems a bit big for me. I am trying to fit the suit to me which since I am skinny think will be a bit less than what their measurements are. Should I cut to those and just add padding inside? Obviously a bit late on the arms parts if so...

Thanks,

M

You should be sizing it to yourself.  Many tutorials will show the measurements they are working with for who they are building for as a way to show how to do it.  You can use that as a guide so you know if something is not right such as if your measurements have been a little smaller each step of the way and suddenly you've got a piece that measures wildly larger than the thread your reading / watching. 

If it's too big it's not only going to look funny but be cumbersome to wear.   Besides, you don't want to look like you're wearing your Daddy's armor. :smiley-sw013:

You should be sizing it to yourself.  Many tutorials will show the measurements they are working with for who they are building for as a way to show how to do it.  You can use that as a guide so you know if something is not right such as if your measurements have been a little smaller each step of the way and suddenly you've got a piece that measures wildly larger than the thread your reading / watching. 

If it's too big it's not only going to look funny but be cumbersome to wear.   Besides, you don't want to look like you're wearing your Daddy's armor. :smiley-sw013:

No I do not want to look like I’m wearing daddy’s armor :)

Thanks, I am pretty much using a couple videos and a bunch of different threads as a guide and then trying to combine all that to help in my build. Since this is my first time doing this it can be a lot at times haha.

M

Thanks,
M

Hiya,

No worries, trooper. I only suggested it as they are the original sizes of the screen used suits and they show all the return edge sizes, where to cut the joins etc. However, if their sizes are too big for you, you don’t have much choice.

As the front of the forearms, thighs and shins need to be the same anyway (only the back is adjusted if you need to make the parts smaller), I’d certainly try following the RS tutorials for the fronts. That should allow you the nearest look for this suit. You can then size down by trimming more from the backs of those parts.

As you were, trooper. :-)
  • Like 1

The forearms should have just enough room to get your ungloved hand through (you can tuck those in afterward).  If you have the extra ABS (think scraps) I suggest using them on all your seams.  Like I mentioned, they don't have to be pretty, just functional.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hiya,

No worries, trooper. I only suggested it as they are the original sizes of the screen used suits and they show all the return edge sizes, where to cut the joins etc. However, if their sizes are too big for you, you don’t have much choice.

As the front of the forearms, thighs and shins need to be the same anyway (only the back is adjusted if you need to make the parts smaller), I’d certainly try following the RS tutorials for the fronts. That should allow you the nearest look for this suit. You can then size down by trimming more from the backs of those parts.

As you were, trooper. :-)

Thanks Dan,

Yes I will keep watching their vids as they are very helpful!

M

Edited by TK Monkus

7 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

The forearms should have just enough room to get your ungloved hand through (you can tuck those in afterward).  If you have the extra ABS (think scraps) I suggest using them on all your seams.  Like I mentioned, they don't have to be pretty, just functional.

Thanks Joseph. I will put internal cover strips for sure.

Do I need to trim my left scoop or is it ok to leave as is? My current fit on both forearms is as you said, just big enough on the wrist side to slide my hand in. It kind of seems like the elbow side has a bit extra room though, is that ok?

7q7l3OL.jpg

Thanks,

M

I taped everything up to do test fits and put on my undersuit top. See below the pics. This being the first time I put on a somewhat complete set, not just test fitting one piece, got me pretty giddy inside! I felt like I had pretty good range of motion. I know movement isn't supposed to be amazing but you can see in a couple of the pictures it looks like I am flexing, that is the point where the forearm and bicep armor start to touch. I can bend a little bit more after that but need to put a little force into it, is that all normal? I posed as if I was holding a blaster (still waiting on mine to arrive) and it felt like I could do that and that was about when the armor would start to touch. You can kind of see in the picture where I am holding my arm out that there is a little room at the elbow side of the forearms, is that an ok amount? The final spot of where the armor sits may change a little, but I tried to tape it all about where I thought it should go and where it gave me a good range of motion still. 

Let me know what you think and if all looks good I will start by gluing the interior over strips to the forearms. If any additional pics are needed let me know and I will post them.

While I wait I am going to trim out all the return edge on the bottom of my shoulder bells.

Right Side

4LKbbSo.jpg

PocIW47.jpg

1xu05aK.jpg

k7xbV1a.jpg

Left Side

iitbKrG.jpg

o5G6nrV.jpg

zjwJ8HI.jpg

v3hmCN3.jpg

Both sides on

EyM5Neo.jpg