TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

4 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

I also have thin arms so hopefully this helps hold it in place so there is no wobble.

On my RS set I had to add some pieces of foam inside to help keep them central, you don't want to make them too narrow or they will look odd against the rest of the armor ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

On my RS set I had to add some pieces of foam inside to help keep them central, you don't want to make them too narrow or they will look odd against the rest of the armor ;) 

That is something I am a bit worried about, having things look off because its to small. I am going to post some pics before slimming down and hopefully catch that before its to late. Foam may be in my future.

• Like 2

I made my first cuts.

I took most of the return edges off of my left bicep pieces. I tired out a couple different ways of doing this to see what worked best. 

7tTBOP3.jpg

First I tried using the Dremel as there was not to much that needed to be trimmed from that top back piece. 

9iGIDEU.jpg

I noticed it wasn't as "clean" as I thought it would be so I then took some 220 grit sandpaper to try and smooth it all off which seemed to work.

lTRyxlj.jpg

next I tried the curved small scissors which seemed to work pretty well, except as I tried to round it out it would kind of "fray", see pic below.

eg3dkV8.jpg

VrqYl1H.jpg

So I decided to take the Dremel to it to smooth out those bits and then sand after that to completely smooth it out, which seemed to work. I also tried a small piece just using a razor blade which gave me a very clean and smooth edge, but I wouldn't have been able to do that around the curved bit. Maybe if it was straight I would go that route.

See below the pics of the results, and please let me know how it came out or if anything should be modified. I am going to hold off on the right bicep until I know I am doing it correctly, haha.

HBulbe1.jpg

I noticed the left side is thicker than the right...does that need to be evened out?

z9fuGvW.jpg

6TtzVeP.jpg

5QOo9i9.jpg

There is also some of these marks that I think maybe from the sandpaper? Is that a normal thing or should that not be there? Also looking at this I think that needs to be sanded and smoothed a little more.

Thanks!

I couldn't wait so decided to continue with removing most of the return edge on the right side bicep as well. I have found that I prefer to use the Dremel and sand technique.

nfs3EWu.jpg

back top 

xz3ja7f.jpg

front top

6c95oav.jpg

bottom

I removed the return edge on the Right forearm as well, but will post pics tomorrow.

So I think I am now ready to size both biceps, also a tomorrow job with pics and questions to come.

There’s no one method for trimming return edges that works best. What you’ve done with using a number of different methods is best. For me, I start with the scissors, if I run into areas the scissors can’t reach, don’t try to force them into tight areas - that’s when you get those surface marks - instead, go wider and use the dremel afterwards to work the edge back. Clean everything up with a 120 grit sandpaper, then something a lot finer (400-800) to make the edges super smooth.

Don’t worry too much about how the top of the biceps look as they’ll be covered by the shoulder blades. That being said, if you want to even up so both sides match, I usually wait until they’re fully constructed as it’s easier to get an even return edge all round if your sanding it as one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking good so far. I too use several different techniques to trim. Razor blade and dremel being my primary. I usually find myself taking several passes as I feel it's safer to take the time and cut a little bit at a time than run the risk of cutting too much.

Once you've gotten those biceps made you'll be rocking and rolling on the next parts.

When you get to the forearms you'll want there to be no return edge on the wrist side. On the elbow side you can still keep some of you wish.

Also, it's a good idea to wear your undershirt when test fitting. That way you know for sure you've gotten your parts the right size.

Sent from my sorrosuub C1 comm link device using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

I couldn't wait so decided to continue with removing most of the return edge on the right side bicep as well. I have found that I prefer to use the Dremel and sand technique.

Looking good. I hate switching out the tips so have 3 Dremel's (knock off brands) with different tips, great to swap between from trimming to sanding, but definitely finish off with a hand sand to get rid of any sharp edges, finish with a finer sandpaper so there are no rough areas which may get caught on your undersuit ;) 

14 hours ago, Short4ATrooper said:

There’s no one method for trimming return edges that works best. What you’ve done with using a number of different methods is best. For me, I start with the scissors, if I run into areas the scissors can’t reach, don’t try to force them into tight areas - that’s when you get those surface marks - instead, go wider and use the dremel afterwards to work the edge back. Clean everything up with a 120 grit sandpaper, then something a lot finer (400-800) to make the edges super smooth.

Don’t worry too much about how the top of the biceps look as they’ll be covered by the shoulder blades. That being said, if you want to even up so both sides match, I usually wait until they’re fully constructed as it’s easier to get an even return edge all round if your sanding it as one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good. I hate switching out the tips so have 3 Dremel's (knock off brands) with different tips, great to swap between from trimming to sanding, but definitely finish off with a hand sand to get rid of any sharp edges, finish with a finer sandpaper so there are no rough areas which may get caught on your undersuit ;) 

I am hand sanding with 220 grit sandpaper. Do you think that is sufficient or should I go even finer?

Just now, TK Monkus said:

I am hand sanding with 220 grit sandpaper. Do you think that is sufficient or should I go even finer?

I use a 400 grit to finish, really just personal choice, if it feels fine and won't catch you should be ok

I trimmed my right forearm return edges off. I left a little bit on the top outer side, but removed all the front wrist side. I have pretty small arms and have read that leaving a little return edge can help with the fit.

QHM85kC.jpg

back top

Y84PuNV.jpg

front top

EbZoMkw.jpg

bottom, wrist side

I am going to try and size my biceps then will trim off the return edges of my left forearm. Bicep sizing to come.

Edited by TK Monkus

Bicep sizing

Here is the first attempt at sizing. I needed to support from the bottom otherwise it would have slid down off my arm. The exact position may not be correct and I know I need to test with my undersuit, but this is for initial cuts. Also not sure these are the best reference pics so please let me know if I should do this differently. Also I have had a few people mention not to cut these to "small" as it will look off. Would my current marks be cutting to much?

Right Side

tSioEYM.jpg

front view

ye0Gkox.jpg

side view

H6bcuyb.jpg

back view

xSRktFO.jpg

Black mark on the left side is where I have it marked right now. I know I would need to divide that in half and cut from both sides.

Left Side

U081rRD.jpg

front view

oI0kxIl.jpg

side view

1nHRDym.jpg

back view

guhri3V.jpg

black mark on right side is where I currently have it marked to cut. Again I know I would need to divide that in half and cut from both sides. 

Would I only be cutting from the "top" or outside piece? Or should I be cutting from both outside and inside?

Edited by TK Monkus

Left Forearm

I removed the return edge from the left forearm. I left a little bit on the outside top portion again, but removed all of it from the bottom wrist side.

VIGQJ6b.jpg

Back top portion

vdWkq9s.jpg

Front top portion

qcGhix7.jpg

Bottom, wrist side

Now on to sizing the forearms.

So I was watching Richie stormtroopers build video, which I will probably start using as a guide, and he mentioned the more slim the bicep, the better it will look. 

I am using the RS suit as my guide suit since that is essentially what mine is molded from and it was a screen used suit. On that suit it looks like the biceps were only a little slimmer than the forearms, if at all. I feel a bit torn between fitting to myself, and fitting to screen accurate suit... If I fit to myself will that hinder me from lvl 3, and will it possibly look off? The pics above have it fit so I can still flex my bicep and have a little room between the armor and my skin. I don't think the fits should be "skin tight" correct? I have yet to fit my forearms so maybe they will all look proportional once I do that? One of the main reasons I decided to build my own suit was so it would fit perfectly. Any help on this is much appreciated. I feel like I am getting stuck up and keep flip flopping on a decision and will never actually size it up, or down in my case. Sorry I know there are a lot of questions peppered throughout that, but I really am at a bit of a loss.

Thanks!

M

You're gonna want to size it to yourself. I would encourage you not to make it too tight. You're going to want to have some room to move around, flex your muscles as you walk, move, and get around.

I found once I had all my pieces built I still had to make a couple minor adjustments so don't fret trying to get them absolutely perfect the first go. Finding ways to enlarge a part is much harder than trimming one down.

Sounds like you're already planning it but when you make those cuts along the sides of the biceps and forearms try to even out the distance as much as possible so your cover strips end up equidistant from each other.

18 minutes ago, Hesikaya said:

You're gonna want to size it to yourself. I would encourage you not to make it too tight. You're going to want to have some room to move around, flex your muscles as you walk, move, and get around.

I found once I had all my pieces built I still had to make a couple minor adjustments so don't fret trying to get them absolutely perfect the first go. Finding ways to enlarge a part is much harder than trimming one down.

Sounds like you're already planning it but when you make those cuts along the sides of the biceps and forearms try to even out the distance as much as possible so your cover strips end up equidistant from each other.

Thanks Scott!

Yes I will plan to divide my cutting distance by 4 and take some from each side. On the forearms though one side has that ridge so I will probably need to take more from the other flat side correct?

Looks like I need to just go ahead and get cutting!

Thanks,

M

Yes, the flat side you'll want to keep correctly sized for your cover strip width.  So they should be about half the size of the cover strip on each of the flat edges.  On the other side you will be able to do your fine tuning since it will be the back and it does not have the ridge.

Edited by Hesikaya
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hesikaya said:

Yes, the flat side you'll want to keep correctly sized for your cover strip width.  So they should be about half the size of the cover strip on each of the flat edges.  On the other side you will be able to do your fine tuning since it will be the back and it does not have the ridge.

Very helpful thank you!

Bicep Fitting

I cut the biceps to fit. The right one fits a little better than the left, but I think I am going to actually leave a little gap when gluing the cover strips to give a little extra space. I am going to cut another 10mm off each side of the front left one. I ended up taking 5mm of the back side of both biceps. I took 35mm off each side of the front right one and only 25mm off each side of the front left one which is why I think I will take another 10mm. See pics below.

u7AC0pP.jpg

marked 5mm on each back side

JbAFGM3.jpg

marked 35mm on the R side and 25mm on the L 

N3OuynA.jpg

used a ruler to get a straight line for me to follow when cutting

VooMmZK.jpg

used my big shears to follow the line, then sanded smooth the edges.

0h2jTjP.jpg

LfXqLGt.jpg

9YMdCP2.jpg

You can see the L one looks a bit bigger than the R

Here is how they currently fit

Rzwpbhn.jpg

NKShic0.jpg

seUrLsA.jpg

Right side, sorry shirt was over part of it.

XjzyjlD.jpg

LV5Be5e.jpg

xOTvEso.jpg

Left side which again looks a bit bigger

Forearms sizing to come

Hey guys I have a couple questions, see below.

I was about ready to post pics of fitted biceps for gluing but my left one still felt a bit big so I took another 5mm off each side. It now feels better, but one of the sides seems to stick out a little, it won't sit even unless I push it back in. Also the cover strip seems to sit at a bit of an angle now and I am pretty sure they should be straight, correct? There is also an edge on the top that may slightly be impeding the butt joint as well, I am wondering if I can cut that so it will lay more flush. See pics below.

o4lTLL0.jpg

this sits out unless I push it back in, see pic below after I put some pressure on it and push in

jR0eLTy.jpg

HsU8tAL.jpg

cover strip now lays at an angle. I know I still need to round the edges just waiting until final gluing to do so.

Rw2aV3T.jpg

Here is what it looks like if I straighten it. Even if I put that right edge of the cover strip as close to the right butt joint as I can, there is still a gap. Do I need to trim that "back" side of the bicep to straighten it kind of where the red line is in the pic below? I feel like if I do that the other side will be very uneven.

1q4FYm2.jpg

uqLs0y8.jpg

Here is that edge I was talking about. Can I cut where that line is to try and make them meet evenly?

Or should it just sit like this?

zUSFpCc.jpg

Thanks in advance

M

Edited by TK Monkus
Posted before finished

Forearm Fitting

Alright I have my forearms marked up and before I cut wanted to check in as the right one is way bigger than the left (before any adjustments). I have fitted so the top and bottom of my hand graze the wrist edges as I put them on. I feel like if I go any bigger they will be to big.  I have been looking at the RS suit and see there is only like 2-3mm of that ridge that peaks out from the cover strip near the wrist. I know it tapers up a little as it goes up the arm so I am just making decisions based on the wrist side. Basing on that, my right forearm will need about 80mm cut off total. I have measured and due to the size can take about 12mm off the inner ridge side and about 7mm from the outer ridge side. That leaves 30mm from both the other sides. On the left side there is way less to be taken from the ridge only about 2mm which leaves about 23mm from both other sides. See pics below of where the markings for the cuts will be. I won't be making these cuts until tomorrow so any input is welcome and appreciated.

IsbqIQQ.jpg

Right forearm. That first closer mark is where I will be making the cut, than the same distance on the inner piece.

zsMzZxb.jpg

Here is the ridge side of the right forearm. It is way bigger than the left side.

t8Ebxyc.jpg

Here is the left forearm. Again the first closer mark is where I will cut, than same distance on inner side.

iZFXP1O.jpg

Left forearm ridge. I could almost not even touch this but decide to take a little to try and clean up the butt joints.

Thanks as always,

M

Edited by TK Monkus

On the bicep it looks good lined up in the first pic. I would say if you're looking to trim any more that you lay the one over the other to mark it. But don't do that if it'll make it too small.. The cover strips should run straight.

As far as the forearms don't forget to factor in your undersuit and the gloves get tucked into the forearms. They'll be difficult to slide the excess of your rubber gloves if they're too tight.

8 hours ago, Hesikaya said:

On the bicep it looks good lined up in the first pic. I would say if you're looking to trim any more that you lay the one over the other to mark it. But don't do that if it'll make it too small.. The cover strips should run straight.

As far as the forearms don't forget to factor in your undersuit and the gloves get tucked into the forearms. They'll be difficult to slide the excess of your rubber gloves if they're too tight.

Thanks Scott. For the forearms I fit them while wearing my undersuit which is compression gear so pretty much skin tight and they felt ok. I also tried on the gloves and they slid in alright.

For the bicep, I am not looking to trim any more, but you can see in that 3rd and 4th pic how the cover strip wouldn't lay straight currently and so I am wondering if I need to? Unless there is a trick? I think it currently is a bit sideways. See the pic below for a top down look at what I mean about the one side sticking out a little which is also why I am wondering if I need to trim that back a little, where that red line is on the 5th pic.

u2ffzBF.jpg

Thanks for your help!

M

Once you put the cover strip on it should keep that from popping out like that. If you want some more assurance that it won't pull apart you can add a second cover strip to the inside from ABS scraps. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hesikaya said:

Once you put the cover strip on it should keep that from popping out like that. If you want some more assurance that it won't pull apart you can add a second cover strip to the inside from ABS scraps. 

Thanks Scott, I will definitely add that extra ABS inside. Can I do that at the same time I do the outer cover strip or would you recommend doing them separate?

I also may shave a little bit from that back side and I can maybe cheat that cover strip to straight. That was the only other issue. That back butt joint seems to be at an angle so the cover strip won't really sit straight. Probably my fault as I think that was my first cut and it looks like I cut at a bit of an angle instead of straight.

Thanks,

M

On 5/1/2021 at 12:30 AM, Short4ATrooper said:

I start with the scissors, if I run into areas the scissors can’t reach, don’t try to force them into tight areas - that’s when you get those surface marks - instead, go wider and use the dremel afterwards to work the edge back. Clean everything up with a 120 grit sandpaper, then something a lot finer (400-800) to make the edges super smooth.

That's the exact method I do also.

• Like 1