TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

Well the day has finally arrived where I got to see those BBB's at my door.

DZvDOln.jpg

I ordered a set of ABS armor from RS Prop Masters and after about 4 months, due to a fire at the RS shop, it has arrived (minus neck seal which is still en route)! Luckily everyone at RS is ok and all of their original molds are safe.  At first glance it looks amazing! Being my first ever build and not actually ever interacting with any armor before, I initially thought it would be thinner, but I am very glad to see it does feel sturdy.

HwHgzds.jpg

First sight

V4QLVsd.jpg

Bucket parts. Probably will save for last...if my will power will hold

lp9vDg0.jpg

Everything all laid out

WE3Ji5D.jpg

Strapping pack from RS even though I think I ordered everything separate as well since I want to try and go the double snap way

I had done a good amount of research before purchasing, and then even more after and while I was waiting for it to a arrive. I decided to go the route of build it myself even though I have never done this, and have received a good amount of support already before even starting. I have also decided to go the route of Centurion right from the start. I will say after opening it all up and seeing it all...it is a bit daunting. I know this is the place to ask questions and I'm sure I will have plenty but just want to say I am super excited to get started! 

OK so I already have some questions.

1) I am planning on following build threads, but do I need to necessarily follow a thread to my type, ie RS? I saw the top build thread is for an Anovos set going for Centurion and briefly skimmed through and can see differences. I would guess it is pretty much the same, but maybe finding an RS thread would be better? I also have Diana's thread marked to follow and I think she went Centurion?

2) I got a big piece of what I think is ABS, see in the back of the picture of everything all laid out. What is that for?

3) There are a couple pieces that seem like one is a lot bigger than the other. Forearm and thigh (I think) come to mind.

Thanks,

Matthew

Edit: I just realized that I think the vocoders are missing on the helmet. I have emailed RS and expect they will send them, but if anyone notices anything else is missing please let me know!

Edited by TK Monkus
  • Like 2

Nothing better than BBB's. 

1. Most build threads are pretty much the same when building, Tony's has a very in-depth Anovos thread https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build-stunt/

2. The large piece of plastic is for your cover strips

3. Yes some pieces are differently sized, lots of references available in the Gallery Sections https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Here is a very in-depth thread of resources, lots of info to help your build there https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

You've started off well, if you don't know something ask, measure twice and cut once.

Good luck with the build

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nothing better than BBB's. 

1. Most build threads are pretty much the same when building, Tony's is a very in-depth thread https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build-stunt/

2. The large piece of plastic is for your cover strips

3. Yes some pieces are differently sized, lots of references available in the Gallery Sections https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

You've started off well, if you don't know something ask, measure twice and cut once.

Good luck with the build

Thank you very much, excited to get started!

• Like 1

Looks like an exciting build about to happen! :popcorn:

Your Vocoder is actually on the face of your helmet and just needs a coat of paint.   Perhaps you mean your Hovi tips?  The black cylindrical tusks with wire mesh in the dimples on the front?  I didn't see them in your photos.  I would say that following an RS build would be a great idea.  I have an Anovos kit and followed Tony's build that was already referenced above.  It was expertly detailed.  Being that you have a different maker there may be some small differences but overall the armor is all very similar maker to maker. Another suggestion would be to check out other troopers EIB and Centurion applications especially those with RS armor to see any common fixes and noteworthy problem areas.

Have you reached out to your local garrison?  They too may be able to offer you some guidance.  

Can't wait to see your build thread begin.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hesikaya said:

Looks like an exciting build about to happen! :popcorn:

Your Vocoder is actually on the face of your helmet and just needs a coat of paint.   Perhaps you mean your Hovi tips?  The black cylindrical tusks with wire mesh in the dimples on the front?  I didn't see them in your photos.  I would say that following an RS build would be a great idea.  I have an Anovos kit and followed Tony's build that was already referenced above.  It was expertly detailed.  Being that you have a different maker there may be some small differences but overall the armor is all very similar maker to maker. Another suggestion would be to check out other troopers EIB and Centurion applications especially those with RS armor to see any common fixes and noteworthy problem areas.

Have you reached out to your local garrison?  They too may be able to offer you some guidance.  

Can't wait to see your build thread begin.

Oops, rookie mistake!! Yes I meant the hovi tips, thank you. I am going to look super green to RS haha.

I looked up the RS build videos put out by RS as I am a very visual learner. I think those will be helpful but I am also going to look at a few build threads as well as probably over posting in here with my million questions. I will look at the centurion and EIB apps and see what the locals have to say, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

By all means Post away! We're here to help! If you can't figure something out don't hesitate to ask here on your build thread.  There's always a trooper lurking about with an idea or link to what you're looking for.

• Like 1

If you say so!

So today was a bit overwhelming to be honest. I am still very excited but after looking through a bunch more build threads and seeing people with full on machine shops I got a little worried as I have never really done anything like this or used these tools before. I ended up watching the RS build videos, which duh why wouldn't I since I bought an RS suit, and felt a lot better. I am definitely more of a visual learner so seeing a video is very helpful for me.

All that being said, I didn't make any cuts yet but have taped a few things up and am ready with some questions, so here it goes.

First I am going to be starting with the biceps and forearms as it seems those are the best intros into it all. I am pretty skinny, as you will probably see in the pictures, so I think a lot of what I will need to be doing is sizing everything down to fit properly. I apologize in advance for some of the pics as I am doing this on my own and trying to take some of these pics alone isn't easy.

So the biceps. Again I haven't made any cuts or cleaned up any edges yet, just taped things together as is. 

iaQi5T2.jpg

This is the left bicep. The right is in a similar state. I am pressing it against my body so I can get the picture, but it obviously needs to be taken in a lot. In the RS video, he mentions leaving some of the return edge so as to give it a bit of a bigger look while still slimming it down. If I cut the return edge from this, it will make it even bigger correct? I am trying to go Centurion and know on my forearms the edges need to go. Can I leave these on? 

Gbgq0s2.jpg

This is the side view. I know I need to flatten out those butt joints (is that the correct word?) but on the other side, the ends don't even touch, they overlap. See pic below.

9Mg7DXE.jpg

Do I need to just trim from all sides evenly until 1. both long ends sit flush with each other and 2. it is a lot tighter on my arm? I feel like if I do that, it will be very small? Also in the RS video he had mentioned to line up the bottom parts of the biceps as the tops will be covered by the shoulder bell.

Next the forearms.

So again I haven't done any trimming or sanding, just taped as is. 

I was able to figure the left from the right thanks to @AsBlondeAsLuke tip about 11 and 12 dimples, that was the easy part.

I need to take these in a lot as well, see left forearm pic below.

eOGNpMb.jpg

oSkLJ5j.jpg

I also know I need to remove all the return edges for Centurion, which is going to make these even bigger. 

AcItm7w.jpg

Am I supposed to just trim from both sides kind of where the marks are here in order to get the fit proper? I feel like in order to get a proper fit I will need to go over that "ridge" that is there.

QYRSlu5.jpg

I also have that same problem as with the bicep of the sides of my right forearm overlapping, but maybe I just need to start trimming down on the sides and it will all come together?

66oatDP.jpg

XRlOlns.jpg

The two sides also don't seem to match up size wise but that could also be due to just having to cut them down to size. Also that second picture may be a bit confusing, the left forearm is on the right side of the picture.

I don't want to take anything in to much as you can't change that, but I also don't want anything to look wrong because its so "skinny"

Look forward to tomorrow and maybe making some first cuts!

One thing you have to keep in mind is that after you trim the tops and bottoms of any limb piece is that you will have to re-adjust the circumference (trim down the sides again).  Otherwise, what fit perfectly before will now be too wide.

Most folks leave some of the return edge on the tops of the forearms, but you can trim all of it off of the tops/bottoms of the biceps and all of it will need to be removed from the bottom of the wrist openings.

How much you remove from the top of the forearm and bicep/top of the forearm is up to you and will not affect higher approvals (as long as the openings are not too large).

I am not a fan of return edges in most places, as they were minimal at best in the films.  I have a thread here that should answer a lot of your questions on this, as well as a few tutorials under my avatar below that may help as well.

I highly suggest that you keep posting as many photos as you can, and always feel free to ask any and all questions you may have!  When in doubt, post up here before cutting/gluing.  Trust me.  We are here to help every step of the way

• Like 1

Hi Matt, first of all, congratulations for your BBB day!!  Now, as most of us were some day, keep calm and don't be afraid of those tons of plastic ahead :56pullhair:.

I would like to suggest Take a look to this video  you can also check the other videos form this armor maker that I consider could be so useful.

Remember, "measure twice or more, cut just once"   we are here to help.

:salute:

6 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

One thing you have to keep in mind is that after you trim the tops and bottoms of any limb piece is that you will have to re-adjust the circumference (trim down the sides again).  Otherwise, what fit perfectly before will now be too wide.

Most folks leave some of the return edge on the tops of the forearms, but you can trim all of it off of the tops/bottoms of the biceps and all of it will need to be removed from the bottom of the wrist openings.

How much you remove from the top of the forearm and bicep/top of the forearm is up to you and will not affect higher approvals (as long as the openings are not too large).

I am not a fan of return edges in most places, as they were minimal at best in the films.  I have a thread here that should answer a lot of your questions on this, as well as a few tutorials under my avatar below that may help as well.

I highly suggest that you keep posting as many photos as you can, and always feel free to ask any and all questions you may have!  When in doubt, post up here before cutting/gluing.  Trust me.  We are here to help every step of the way

Hey Joseph!

I'm super glad you are in here as I have a lot of your links guiding me, and you have already been huge help with resources up to this point.

So it sounds like my first trims should be to cut/remove the return edges to where I want/need them? Then I was looking at @A.J. Hamler bicep/forearm and he actually uses that overlap to measure. I don't know why I am so stuck on exactly how to measure, but I think that is very helpful.  

So my question is will I just be cutting from one side of the armor? For instance on the left bicep, will I fit it to my arm (after taking return edges down) having the front side way overlapped and mark where that fits. Then cutting half that distance on each side of the front only? Or am I supposed to cut a bit from each piece, front and back?

I will do a trial run of marking and post pics a bit later.

3 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Matt, first of all, congratulations for your BBB day!!  Now, as most of us were some day, keep calm and don't be afraid of those tons of plastic ahead :56pullhair:.

I would like to suggest Take a look to this video  you can also check the other videos form this armor maker that I consider could be so useful.

Remember, "measure twice or more, cut just once"   we are here to help.

:salute:

Hello Mario, thanks for those words of encouragement haha. 

When I click on the video you linked it just takes me back to my build thread page...could you try re linking that?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

When I click on the video you linked it just takes me back to my build thread page...could you try re linking that?

Oh i'm sorry. here's the video.  :salute:

1 hour ago, tat2trooper said:

Definetly take some of that return edge down some. My first build I left too much return edge also.

Hey David,

Are you talking about on the bicep or forearm? I will be removing all the return edge on the forearms, but am a little unsure how much to keep on the biceps. I will need to look at some pictures for the biceps to see how they were on screen.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

Hey David,

Are you talking about on the bicep or forearm? I will be removing all the return edge on the forearms, but am a little unsure how much to keep on the biceps. I will need to look at some pictures for the biceps to see how they were on screen.

Biceps. For me the more return edge I had I noticed it was more uncomfortable. My new build has very slightly any return edge on biceps and its way more cozy to wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tat2trooper said:

Biceps. For me the more return edge I had I noticed it was more uncomfortable. My new build has very slightly any return edge on biceps and its way more cozy to wear.

Got it. thanks for that. I am thinking of maybe keeping a small amount on the outside but taking everything on the inside off. I am going to mark and post some pics.

• Like 1

Bicep Return Edge Cuts

So I have marked my return edges where I think I will be making the cuts. I am going to be removing all return edges as that seems to be most screen accurate. I am also going to make these cuts, and then size it to my arm for those cuts.

Here is the Left one:

wItplQJ.jpg

Here is the top front portion

TZItwPN.jpg

Here is the back top portion. Should I be marking this even lower and taking out that whole curve marked in red?

XgL0AOg.jpg

Here is the bottom 

Right Bicep

QFo5Ynl.jpg

Here is top front

uR1fhOn.jpg

Here is back top. Again should I be cutting along the red line instead?

nowmfBI.jpg

Here is the bottom

If you think I am going about this the wrong way please let me know.

Thanks!

• Like 2

After looking at a few more pictures of the original RS suit, it seems where I have marked in red on the back should actually stay, so I am just going to cut where I have marked in black.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

After looking at a few more pictures of the original RS suit, it seems where I have marked in red on the back should actually stay, so I am just going to cut where I have marked in black.

Some choose to leave some return edge, some remove all, I have thin arms so the extra return helps hold them in place and not wobble.

Here is a great thread on return edges

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Some choose to leave some return edge, some remove all, I have thin arms so the extra return helps hold them in place and not wobble.

Here is a great thread on return edges

I also have thin arms so hopefully this helps hold it in place so there is no wobble.