Helotech's SE-14R Build

Helotech

I finally managed to print off all the SE-14R pieces. Thanks to Glenn again for the files.

Was printed a while ago but we're in the middle of selling our home for a big move cross country (again...), so the pics had to wait.

I also had an issue with the print of the main barrel/ body, so had to reprint that main piece.

Overall pieces:

I have a smaller resin printer (Elegoo Mars 2 Pro) so I had to split the main barrel/body in half, as well as the grip frame where it meets the trigger guard.

The grey stuff is model putty. Until I had the settings correct on my printer I had some minor surface flaws that needed filling.

I'm still debating the colours to use, but may go the same route as my DLT-19 build: Tire rubber / charcoal black (more of a sooty grey colour) for the main body, with semi gloss/satin black for the grips and scope. 

This will provide some visual interest. Will only do minor weathering and scratching.

c31GTzC.jpg

Grips.

bXAiFeO.jpg

Barrel opening. The knurling is amazing!

Ot0FS6R.jpg

Close up of some parts.

ndaIq3r.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully it won't take long for assembly and painting.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Thanks Glen!

Unfortunately, there won't be electronics in this gun. Maybe the next one? :)

Some quick progress.

Glued some parts on barrel halves and joined main frame front and back with trigger.

Front barrel with magazine housing:

QGr6xtn.jpg

Main frame halves joined, with stock adapter (?) attached at rear bottom frame:

QXXOlZM.jpg
There is some minor warping and a bit of an unsightly seam at the front / rear join area due to my printing inexperience, Easy enough to fill and sand:

mX5pUJp.jpg

Those little dimples are left over from removing the support trees. Not sure how to minimize this in the future, but I'm learning. These are easy enough to fill and sand smooth.

Q35wgLR.jpg

PDnVXLK.jpg

Separate barrel assemblies temporarily placed on the frame so I can say "Pew pew"....

NTyE0ua.jpg

Will be filling seams with putty and leaving to dry for a couple days.

Stay tuned!

• Like 2

Hey Jonas! Hope all is well over there.

My DLT was put on hold because of the electronics issues. I finally received the DLT and E11 electronics about 3 weeks ago from TRamp in the UK. He is AWESOME BTW.

In the meantime I have found out that we are moving across country again (yay for the military!!!) this summer. It will be a long 2 week trip.

Canada is great but freakin huge. About 7500 kms door to door.

Anyways, we had to by a new home in Gander, Newfoundland (just google it LOL) virtually, and just sold our home here in BC yesterday. Needless to say the projects were all put on hold for a few weeks.

That’s why I started this up. I wanted a quick build and paint to feel like I accomplished something. I’m hoping to have this done for May 4th. Maybe a photo shoot with the SE-14 recreating the original publicity shots? ;)

• Like 1

I see. Sometimes I feel good about living in a smaller country (smaller than Canada that is), the most we drive through Sweden is usually around 1000 km to family down south (around 2 days travel).

Well, I hope all the best for you! :salute: Hopefully you will have it good where you move to.

Oh horror of horrors!!!

My SE-14 is slowly exploding :(

Last night I finally managed to sand everything, wash and dry and was assembling. I noticed that the front of the main grip felt a little soft, but didn't think anything of it. Then this morning:

qNNvI8a.jpg

2cpxD0e.jpg

And my magazine housing did the same slightly. I read up on line that this is most likely due to uncured resin trapped inside. It may take a while for it to expand etc, and can cause this. So the magazine wasn't to bad, but split along one corner. I decided to rinse it  out with water through the small gap. I came back a few minutes later and it was much worse!!!:

bskcLT5.jpg

5CnHYGt.jpg

I felt the support sprues that were left inside and they were still soft and pliable. So basically uncured. It's weird as the parts have been sitting for weeks.

Either I didn't rinse properly and /or didn't cure the parts enough. I think that I may have reactivated the resin somehow as I rinsed today.

I then noticed that the back end cap on main body has started to split. I felt the knurling and where it was rock hard before it is soft and squishy around the entire circumference:

BJ2RwXw.jpg

I'm now waiting for the entire thing to blow up. Hopefully not. I hope the main body doesn't go as it is basically sanded and ready to prime.

This might have been a colossal waste of resin and time.

Unfortunately I won't have time to reprint everything before the big move.

• Like 2

Wow, this is the first time I have seen this with resin parts. I had heard of the possibility but never actually seen it.

Thanks for the photos, I think this is great for others to see when considering resin printing and cure times.

On the flip side, I am sorry it happened to you but many of us can learn from this as well.

I assume you use a UV cure container but do you recall what your cure times were so you can increase them for the next print?

Ya. Definitely a learning experience.

This is my first large scale print and everything, minus small parts, was printed hollow to save resin. I'll have to look at my 3D files, but the walls are maybe 2 or 3 mm thick as suggested in 3D forums.

As you can see from the small grey circles, I do put drain openings in. I guess they are not large enough to let the alcohol enter and rinse properly. The holes are anywhere from 2 to 4 mm diameter.

I use an Elegoo Mercury Plus washing and curing station.

The black resin is "Water Washable". This doesn't mean you are to rinse items in a sink and let it pour down the drain. That is super bad for environment. It basically means you don't have to use alcohol.

To keep things simple, I used 99% alcohol for everything.

I rinse items about 5 minutes for larger pieces. These are simple placed inside the curing machine tub, and there is a little spinner that creates a circular current that washes most of the resin away.

You let part drain, then switch machine to curing mode. I couldn't find any info (even from Elegoo) about what cure times you should use. I only did about 5 minutes total.

So, my takeaway:

1. Create larger openings where able:
    1. For example; the magazine housing comes in two pieces. The main large box and a thin base plate (you can see it peeled away in the photo). For the next print I will create a large rectangular opening on the bottom of the magazine housing, leaving enough of a lip to attach the base plate.
    2. Anywhere I can't do this I will place the largest holes possible and accept that I have lots of filling to do.
  2. Rinse better:
    1. A person on a 3D forum says he uses a syringe filled with alcohol or water (when resin allows this) to pump cleaning fluid through the parts.
    2. Since the cure station tub holds dirty used alcohol (it is expensive...) after the initial "spin cycle" rinse I will fill another storage tub with water and let it soak and rinse in there. Same forums suggested that leaving parts soaking in 99% for too long can also cause damage to parts.
  3. Remove internal supports when able:
    1. On same forum someone suggested not using internal supports if able. The supports and structure cure at different rates, causing the warping and cracking. They may also prevent rinsing fluid from circulating properly.
  4. Make sidewalls thicker:
    1. Helps beef up structure and reduce warping. Elegoo comment to a forum question was 4mm. Downside is more resin is used, but it is better than wasting a big print.
  5. Research cure times:
    1. For some reason, I think leaving a piece in the UV machine for 10 minutes will cause it to burst into flames LOL :)

If I can swing the time this weekend I will try and reprint. I won't get blaster done by Empire day next week, but it may get done by the time we move in middle of June.

Stay tuned all!!!

• Like 4

Great information Dave, I look forward to seeing your success with this project.

I can already see it being very helpful to many.

I'm looking forward to trying resin printing in the future. Although not printed I have found when casting resin pieces that if there is not enough hardener pieces under any strain can bulge or split I guess that's the same with printing resin, needs to harden and fully cure.

Remaking parts is not nice but your trial and error will definitely help others in the future.

Resin's not too hard to work with, just a learning curve. It is also surprisingly cheap. I may actually get a second larger printer to do this kind of stuff so I don't have to split large pieces. 

I'm finding the software and general info easy to learn. The very fine details are really worth it. 

I've already printed tiny parts for my model making hobby such as 1/35 milk crates, coolers, chainsaws. Just fantastic!

I've started redoing the files and am just slicing the pieces in Chitubox. Will start printing this afternoon.

Fingers crossed!

Printed 3 pieces and they turned out well. 

Endcap, Mag housing, mag plate, and the little circle that will fit into end cap drain hole.

When you add holes to pieces in Chitubox program, it asks if you want to keep the "removed" piece. These are useful to refill the hole once printed.

Endcap with hole plug. As you  may be able to tell, this endcap has what looks like golf dimples on the surface. I printed this straight up and down instead of angled. I'm thinking there may not have been enough supports. I may not use this as the old end plug has not cracked or warped any further. I left the barrel assembly outside in the sun all day, so hopefully its cured LOL

The old cracked end plug  can be repaired by me simply pushed in on the slightly raised /cracked portion and flowing in some superglue.

uuqc12e.jpg

New magazine housing and plate. The mag well is much beefier with 5mm walls and much larger rinse / drain holes.

UZiyjYS.jpg

Bottom hole of mag well. It will be covered by bottom plate. You can see the beefed up thickness inside.

SN6hCew.jpg

So, still some sanding and washing to do before attaching to the barrel assembly.

I haven't reprinted the very front portion of the frame assembly. I MAY be able to clamp everything together and glue along the split seams. If this doesn't work I will saw the frame in front of the trigger guard and reprint.

Oh fun....

• Like 3

Thanks Jonas! After a quick solo trooping patrol through my neighbourhood with die-hard SW kid who lives across the street, I will be sanding and gluing some parts while watching a SW film. 

• Like 1

Hello again!

I got everything glued together except the two side grip panels. I have to look in my hardware selection for screws to attach panels to frame and scope clamp screws.

The files Glen provided are AWESOME and very detailed, but I did note some discrepancies to the movie prop:

1. When I was gluing the scope rings and scope onto the mount, I had a pain of a time trying to achieve the proper overhang at the rear of blaster, as well as how far forward the scope sits over the body. Basically, front of scope should sit roughly in line with front of magazine well. I went back to the Reference page in this forum and found the picture which stated movie prop scope is approx 11" long. my printed scope is about 10.5". I had not resized it, so the 3D file scope is slightly small. 
  2. Printed scope looks thicker than the movie prop. Not a huge deal and the clamps fir properly. If you thin the scope then you would need shims inside the scope rings, or you would have to resize the rings and the scope base plate for everything to fit.
  3. The 3D file (picture below) shows that both the scope clamps sit behind the zeroing towers (little dials) and the dial base on top of scope. On movie prop the clamps sit just forward and just behind the towers.
  4. The 3D file has the adjustment towers pointing straight up and to the left. On movie prop scope is rotated to have towers pointed up and towards the right. I mounted mine the correct way.
  5. On the left side of the frame, just behind the magazine housing, is a small lever. On the real Rexim SMG this is the magazine release. Just behind the lever is a small indented circle. On some pics of actual SMG, the Star Wars blaster, and the pistol used in Aliens (yes, the same gun is used in this movie) the indent is there. In other pics it isn't. I'm not sure what the definitive answer is.
  6. The 3D print comes with a small coking handle on right hand side blaster. This is not on the movie prop so you don't have to glue the part in.

3D file, full assembly pic: If you have a large enough printer you can do this in all one go. Note the scope thickness,  clamp locations and scope overhang front and rear.

6IA8NFK.jpg

Movie prop: Note the thinness of scope, the appropriate overhangs front and rear, as well as the scope ring locations.

MJBWyQk.jpg

My print: Once again, note all the items I've mentioned. I didn't want to reprint a new scope, but maybe on my second print (LOL) I will make sure everything is good.

I went for a mid-line compromise and I think it looks the part.

immcWf4.jpg

wxv2f9o.jpg

On this shot you can still see the slightly cracked rear cap. I'm attempting to glue this closed, but it will remain on for now.

HcDvSac.jpg?1

Next step is to use a basic grey rattle can primer to check for major cracks or gaps I have to fill. I'll refill, sand, prime again, then comes the decision of main body colour.

Satin black as per movie prop, or the dark smoke grey of a real gun with satin black handgrips?

I will also cut out some clear plastic sheet to replicate scope glass. I'll probably tint it red to add visual interest.

Edited by Helotech
  • Like 2

Nice work with the comparisons, I managed to purchase a couple of scopes for my hand build blaster some years ago so I think I will integrate one once I get around to finally printing this, always some project on the printer line ;) 

I tried finding appropriate scopes online and in local sports stores, but nothing was available or right for the job.

Wanna sell one of yours? ;)

Found lots of them on Aliexpress but haven't looked for a while

A great thread on the RPF with some scope research 

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/se-14r-rexim-trooper-blaster-pistol-scope-prop-discovery.299904/

This is the one I used for mine- (13 bucks on ebay)-  https://www.ebay.com/p/2255131865

I removed the adjusting knob in the front and mounted the clamps in the rear.  Some flat black paint, a little weathering and voila!

kILVCx2.jpg     Hc66B9M.jpg

The scope on the references extends farther forward, so something to think about..

vFqckWd.jpg   NQTt9Ag.jpg?1  TSsTMut.jpg?1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JJCI0Q/

Here's the one I used off Amazon. It's a little closer and still pretty cheap.  Had to remove the adjustment knob housing to move the front clamp, but since it's mounted backwards, it's not like it ever needs to hold zero again haha

51YlxK87HNL._AC_SL1217_.jpg

Thanks for all the scope ref's! Much appreciated.

For some reason when I searched I found the scopes for cheap, but then shipping was relatively expensive.

I'll be printing a second gun and will use an actual scope for that.

Now that I look at the prop pics again, I see that the printed scope belled front and back lens areas are completely the wrong shape :(

It's amazing. I can look at a pic 100 times, then on the 101st I see something that is very obvious. Damn.

Joseph:

Great to hear from you again!

As to the position of the scope more forward, I can't do that while still having the scope rings bracketing the scope turrets front and back. All the prop references I've seen show the scope mounted this way.

I prefer to have the rings in the middle of the scope than have the front of scope hanging way out in space over the blaster. More esthetically pleasing to me.

Now that I think about it, I suppose I could have just moved the adjustment rings and their base slightly towards back of scope. Everything is super glued down, so this would be a pain to move.

Like I said,  next blaster....

Grey primer is on now and it's drying. I will see what I have to fill and sand then post  more pics when I get home from work.

I just finished a PLA SR-14r myself.  I use a real scope like the others did and I haven't weathered it yet, but plan to.  I also made it so I can take it apart and put the electronics I made for it, in the moving trigger.

3idLm2Z.jpg

gat6rkD.jpg

Edited by Shanester
  • Like 1

Wow! Really nice Shane!

Did you use same files as me?

Quick update. I sprayed everything a Satin black. I am going to try minor weathering around raise areas with graphite powder. then spray with a clear coat.

I will leave the grip panels unweathered of course.

Another thing I noticed after looking at the real weapon and promo shot: The front "fin" on right hand side, above the magazine, is pointing upwards in some pics and downwards in others. Curioser and curioser...

BNpHokO.jpg

2Ls6ZOV.jpg

here you can see that the spray paint didn't fully reach inside scope. I'll touch this up, then add the clear sheet "lenses" painted red.

vJNXWzb.jpg

Here you can see the faint join line of front and back barrel halves, as well as the join between front and back frame. The barrel join is barely noticeable in normal light. The frame joint will be mostly covered by the grip panels.

NE5wqqU.jpg

YEkNA25.jpg

No protruding barrel inside the front nut. Not a big deal.

yOY8KFP.jpg