Thigh ammo pack positioning for ANH

Following a recent discussion about the thigh ammo pack on a Stormtrooper’s right thigh, I wanted to post some reference photos.

Many of us assume that the central ammo pack (3rd of 5 ammo packs) should be in the middle of the thigh, in line with the coverstrip. As below, this was not the case with the majority of ANH stormtroopers. It was offset to the right, slightly, when viewed from the front.

**Depending on the make/accuracy of each person's kit, this may or may not be possible due to where the ammo pack has to be attached to the ridge on the thigh.

Photos below;

a8b25d948d22a0402b39245c8ffd5d3a.jpg

e043941be3600e73b83d031521f771ba.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Following a recent discussion about the thigh ammo pack on a Stormtrooper’s right knee, I wanted to post some reference photos.

Many of assume that the central ammo pack (3rd of 5 ammo packs) should be in the middle of the thigh, in line with the coverstrip. As below, this was not the case with the majority of ANH stormtroopers.

Hey Dan! Very helpful stuff, and thanks for posting a new thread!

Here I go starting trouble again... Your average member probably hasn't had enough submissions (personal or mentees) at the higher levels to care enough to gripe about this stuff, but someone should!

If there is enough reference as to the thigh ammo pack location floating around for us to say that with confidence and enforce it at high levels of approval, as it sounds like there very well may be, I would suggest strongly that some guidance as to its placement be added to the CRL. I realize that the CRLs can't capture every minute detail of the costume, but the ANH-S is sometimes vague by comparison to, say, the Rogue One update, despite the incredible amount of research and reference. I agree that the bar for Basic should be accessible, but the higher levels challenging - but only if the requirements are clear in the CRL and consistently applied by the DOs (who I appreciate and respect, and who I know are pushing us all to be better!). 

It doesn't help that one of the more major armor makers' ammo pack is pre-bent, and when applied to the knee in most circumstances, WANTS to sit with the box centered. I know that isn't the DO's problem (and clearly was a lesson learned for me), but it makes more sense to press the vendor for possible change if it is made clear in the CRL. Thin ammo box strips can crack pretty easy, but thick ones aren't easy to heat-bend to the thigh ridge shape after the fact. 

Just some thoughts for consideration! ;) 

• Like 2

We will most certainly have a discussion around CRL amendments, as we do several times each year.

Don't forget that CRL's are a combination of wording and images and both need to be taken into consideration when building a costume, so sometimes an image can tell a better story, or add something meaningful to the text.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Hey Dan! Very helpful stuff, and thanks for posting a new thread!

Here I go starting trouble again... Your average member probably hasn't had enough submissions (personal or mentees) at the higher levels to care enough to gripe about this stuff, but someone should!

If there is enough reference as to the thigh ammo pack location floating around for us to say that with confidence and enforce it at high levels of approval, as it sounds like there very well may be, I would suggest strongly that some guidance as to its placement be added to the CRL. I realize that the CRLs can't capture every minute detail of the costume, but the ANH-S is sometimes vague by comparison to, say, the Rogue One update, despite the incredible amount of research and reference. I agree that the bar for Basic should be accessible, but the higher levels challenging - but only if the requirements are clear in the CRL and consistently applied by the DOs (who I appreciate and respect, and who I know are pushing us all to be better!). 

It doesn't help that one of the more major armor makers' ammo pack is pre-bent, and when applied to the knee in most circumstances, WANTS to sit with the box centered. I know that isn't the DO's problem (and clearly was a lesson learned for me), but it makes more sense to press the vendor for possible change if it is made clear in the CRL. Thin ammo box strips can crack pretty easy, but thick ones aren't easy to heat-bend to the thigh ridge shape after the fact. 

Just some thoughts for consideration! ;) 

Hi Justin,

Yes, I certainly see where you are coming from. And I believe the rivet placement is the key point in the discussion you're referring to, rather than the postitioning of the central ammo pack.

That's why I specifically mentioned the different armour makers. With the best will in the world, even some of the 'most common' armour makes are not always overly accurate in some areas, whether this be with their kits or their commissions, so aligning the central ammo pack like the originals might not be possible. This certainly makes it harder for members when they feel their armour maker probably knows the "right" way to build it, yet, this is not always the case.

Makers pre-shaping (and potentially pre-trimming) the ammo pack (or any other parts), is, I'm sure, meant with the best intentions. However, it does take away some of the applicants' choice to fine tune certain parts. Unfortunately, the armour makers are not obliged to make changes based on the CRL - it just depends how accurate they want to be. This then comes down to the purchaser on their choice of the various factors, including budget, accuracy, availabilty etc.

Regarding the higher levels of approvals, I think a key point to bear in mind is that approvals are based around the wording of the CRL but also based on the visual appearance of the oroginal costumes. I quote "Text descriptions are only one part of the guideline. GML’s and costumers must consider both text and pictures (CRL and Reference) when reviewing the costume."

Hopefully these reference photos will help future builders before they attaach their ammo pack. I'm a firm beleiver that the best reference material a builder can have is the oroginal movie suits themselves, within reason. Other build threads are good, especially when it comes to the certain "quirks" of certain makes, however, the end result is to look like those wonderful troopers on screen that we all fell in love with. :-)

This is not just a response to the Centurion application that is being discussed, by the way. This has come up in another thread on a different platform and these reference images are hopefully hepful to all. :-)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Following a recent discussion about the thigh ammo pack on a Stormtrooper’s right thigh, I wanted to post some reference photos.

Many of us assume that the central ammo pack (3rd of 5 ammo packs) should be in the middle of the thigh, in line with the coverstrip. As below, this was not the case with the majority of ANH stormtroopers. It was offset to the right, slightly, when viewed from the front.

**Depending on the make/accuracy of each person's kit, this may or may not be possible due to where the ammo pack has to be attached to the ridge on the thigh.

Ever since being a DO I never required nor did I encourage center alignment. What mattered was the rear or mounting placement. Not sure when, or if this has ever changed. 

• Like 3

I have never requested a center box alignment either but rather an offset If anything. On this particular app I was just surprised as I did’t mention the ammo strip at all. It would have helped if the added requriment was stated in the thread for all to see instead of sent via PM. I agree that the ammo pack should be evenly spaced and idealy at the corners. I guess I missed that so that’s on me and I’m sorry for the extra hazzle. The EIB app was also some time ago so it might very well be that additional requriments are in affect and though not mentioned in that particular EIB review still has to be fixed at the time of a Centurion app:salute:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheSwede said:

I have never requested a center box alignment either but rather an offset If anything. On this particular app I was just surprised as I did’t mention the ammo strip at all. It would have helped if the added requriment was stated in the thread for all to see instead of sent via PM. I agree that the ammo pack should be evenly spaced and idealy at the corners. I guess I missed that so that’s on me and I’m sorry for the extra hazzle. The EIB app was also some time ago so it might very well be that additional requriments are in affect and though not mentioned in that particular EIB review still has to be fixed at the time of a Centurion app:salute:

Don't sweat it Daniel, we live and learn brother. Can't tell you how many times I goofed as DO :laugh1:

• Like 3

The issue in question was not a matter of centering the front ammo box, but rather the symmetry of the ends of the ammo belt in relation to the corner of the bottom ridge.  As Dan pointed out, those middle boxes were rarely (if ever) lined up with the cover strip.  However, in all the references I can find the ends are evenly spaced on both sides.  A small difference is no biggie, but these were pretty far off.

sALLAvz.jpg?1  rePHW6V.jpg?2   4uRWoqj.jpg?1  rJza7ha.jpg?2

zl9Habw.jpg?1

This detail does not affect larger troopers.  It doesn't matter if the rear sides of the ammo pack are close to the corner or far away (second image).  Either is fine and dandy as long as they are the same distance (or close to it) on both sides.

As seen in the first image below, yellow would be a smaller trooper, red would be a larger trooper.  Both can have it centered.

jkgKWpK.png?1     fJTKPv8.png?2

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

The issue in question was not a matter of centering the front ammo box, but rather the symmetry of the ends of the ammo belt in relation to the corner of the bottom ridge.  As Dan pointed out, those middle boxes were rarely (if ever) lined up with the cover strip.  However, in all the references I can find the ends are evenly spaced on both sides.  A small difference is no biggie, but these were pretty far off.

Correct, evenly spaced/positioned in the rear is the optimum however, not all movie thigh ammo belts were mounted exactly the same so we should lean towards grace vs perfection.  Just my opinion of course

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Correct, evenly spaced/positioned in the rear is the optimum however, not all movie thigh ammo belts were mounted exactly the same so we should lean towards grace vs perfection.  Just my opinion of course

I agree!  As long as it's pretty close it's not a big deal.  We've passed them with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch difference many times.

• Like 2

This all makes sense and I support even spacing moving forward. But if that's the consensus, I also support it being added to the CRL wording so people are more aware.

• Like 1

In that case, I would also consider adding more wording about it being riveted to the actual ridge with the term "roughly" or "approximately" equal  spacing to the end at either side.

I think that can be cleaned up considerably it's just a moments thought, but the clearer we can be and allowing some flexibility is the best proposition.