Sterling Spring/Wire - Source?

Stormy3D

Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been working on making an E11. However, I've been having a lot of trouble sourcing a wire that is both accurate, and is easily made into a spring. (Unless there is already a spring pre-made). 

I've tried coat-hanger wire, but I've had little success. Does anyone have any ideas where I could buy a budget-friendly wire? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Hi Josh, the thickness of the wire makes a very big difference here. The original spring wire's thickness was 1.8 mm.

A wire of that thickness can be wrapped around a broomstick for example to get a suitable result.

With 2.0 mm and more it gets much harder.

When wrapping the wire around the broomstick, protect your hands by wearing gloves. That makes it easier.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, T-Jay said:

Hi Josh, the thickness of the wire makes a very big difference here. The original spring wire's thickness was 1.8 mm.

A wire of that thickness can be wrapped around a broomstick for example to get a suitable result.

With 2.0 mm and more it gets much harder.

When wrapping the wire around the broomstick, protect your hands by wearing gloves. That makes it easier.

Thank you for the tips! I'll look around for one in that size. Any recommendations on where the best place is to purchase one? So far, I've only managed to find some on Ebay. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed with a coat hanger, taking the plastic cover off and had a nice grease metal look under it. Found a broom handle with reasonable diameter. Most important to make careful even spaced wraps around the broom. You don’t want to try and adjust them by hand afterward, never evens out right.

After I cut to the right length and it is static but jiggles around making a reasonable sound I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1