FISD 15th Anniversary Coin Design Contest [CLOSED]

Sly11

FISD 15th Anniversary Coin Design Contest

Closed and Winner announced

Design entries Close May 1st

Attention all members with serious design skills, here is your opportunity to step up to the plate and exercise your talent.

This is FISD's 15th anniversary year come July, and your design could be the one chosen to commemorate this fantastic occasion.

The winning entry will be made into the detachments celebratory coin marking the milestone in true FISD fashion. 

The coin design is first and foremost but we are also considering running a patch if the design translates well or is a good accompaniment  the coin.

So how do you enter?  Glad you asked!  Here is the low-down

1.  The contest will be open to all approved members.  If you can see this post, you can enter!

2.  The competition will begin officially TODAY 28th March and will run until   Sat 1st May. The winner will be chosen by your command staff through a Poll and the results will be made available after the vote closes.

3.  The number of designs you can enter is only limited by your imagination.

4.  You are welcome to use any FISD logos but we are really looking for a unique design that embodies FISD and what we stand for.

Due to current Legion merch regulations there are specific things that need to be included.

5.  Standard 1.75 inch size and you must design both sides of the coin so two designs, heads and tails can be submitted as a single entry.

6.  Design MUST include full Detachment name (1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment), 501st Legion, Must contain the words Anniversary and the year 2021 plus the number 15 (we had Roman numerals on our 10th anniversary so they are definitely fine to use. Also must have the  LFL C and this can appear on the edge as it can be laser etched on the final product.

7.  All entries become property of the FISD/501st Legion.  

The winner will be announced in this competition thread and their design promoted in the following newsletter.

The winner will also receive two coins free and a patch if we can make that run happen. Not only this but the kudos for a fabulous design and become part of detachment history.   Oh yeah, and some serious bragging rights!

The finished products will have their own sales thread(s) once the designs are approved and ready to order.

Here is our Font and color guide used for official merch, if you require logo files, they will need to be requested via PM to myself with what you need.

FISDBrandingGuideFont&Color.png.ef01065da691b3edf0eb9c03d5021800.png

• Like 8

• Sly11 pinned and featured this topic

Ok, I guess I'll go first.  Something I had laying around...  :)

sJDuuXq.png

GiuojW4.png

Black  - raised black metal

Dark grey - recessed black or matte black

Light grey - recessed metal or metal paint

EIB blue 

Centurion Red

• Like 17

15 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Ok, I guess I'll go first.  Something I had laying around...  :)

sJDuuXq.png

GiuojW4.png

Black  - raised black metal

Dark grey - recessed black or matte black

Light grey - recessed metal or metal paint

EIB blue 

Centurion Red

Uhhh, WOW! So straight out of the gate, LOVE THIS! I do have some constructive feedback that I think would make it even better though!

The front looks outstanding and I dig the big TK helmet design! I would consider making the XV more prominent though - maybe just by switching to GOLD or something?

The helmets on the back are an AMAZING touch as well and it's so fun to see all the different helmets represented! I might switch out the Concept trooper since so few of those are around and do one another of the OT helmets instead... I know it's on the front, but most of us are OTTKs, so it would be nice to have some variation of a classic on the back. The edge of the coin also looks thinner than on the front and may be nice to have it be consistent. And finally, I like the laurels, but maybe we could do a big (gold?) XV in the center instead of the DLT, with laurels on each side? Maybe I have the Praetorian X's haunting my dreams still...

No photo description available.

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

Uhhh, WOW! So straight out of the gate, LOVE THIS! I do have some constructive feedback that I think would make it even better though!

The front looks outstanding and I dig the big TK helmet design! I would consider making the XV more prominent though - maybe just by switching to GOLD or something?

The helmets on the back are an AMAZING touch as well and it's so fun to see all the different helmets represented! I might switch out the Concept trooper since so few of those are around and do one another of the OT helmets instead... I know it's on the front, but most of us are OTTKs, so it would be nice to have some variation of a classic on the back. The edge of the coin also looks thinner than on the front and may be nice to have it be consistent. And finally, I like the laurels, but maybe we could do a big (gold?) XV in the center instead of the DLT, with laurels on each side? Maybe I have the Praetorian X's haunting my dreams still...

No photo description available.

Thanks.

That's a very nice coin.  I was avoiding the 3D finish as I assumed it would bump up costs, but it is very nice.  

The buckets are negotiable - I have options I can switch out - with the concept trooper I was just going for something not commonly seen but yet visually distinct. Yes, I'm an OTTK as well, but the difference between a ANH stunt and Hero / ROTJ / ROTK or even HWT would be lost at that scale in the final production - so it would be a repeat of the front, more or less.

I wouldn't mix the two tone metal (bringing in gold) with the coloured paints (unless you meant gold-coloured paint) - you would lose the effect of the different metals and the paints might look funny - I could change the front XV to gold but I would probably do the whole coin in black metal and gold or... nickel and gold/bronze with some black accent paint.  If I got away from the EIB DLT-19 I would probably drop the Centurion laurels as well on the back.

Here is an earlier version I did with the larger XV in two-tone metal (raised and recessed antique bronze with raised and recessed antique nickel and black paint).  This is inspired by the ten year FISD coin but no large TK bucket.

Q1hA3Kw.png

2kXAUcM.png

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Thanks.

That's a very nice coin.  I was avoiding the 3D finish as I assumed it would bump up costs, but it is very nice.  

The buckets are negotiable - I have options I can switch out - with the concept trooper I was just going for something not commonly seen but yet visually distinct. Yes, I'm an OTTK as well, but the difference between a ANH stunt and Hero / ROTJ / ROTK or even HWT would be lost at that scale in the final production - so it would be a repeat of the front, more or less.

I wouldn't mix the two tone metal (bringing in gold) with the coloured paints (unless you meant gold-coloured paint) - you would lose the effect of the different metals and the paints might look funny - I could change the front XV to gold but I would probably do the whole coin in black metal and gold or... nickel and gold/bronze with some black accent paint.  If I got away from the EIB DLT-19 I would probably drop the Centurion laurels as well on the back.

Here is an earlier version I did with the larger XV in two-tone metal (raised and recessed antique bronze with raised and recessed antique nickel and black paint).  This is inspired by the ten year FISD coin but no large TK bucket.

Q1hA3Kw.png

2kXAUcM.png

Oh man, I might like this one even more! Heck yea! I'm not surprised that the design was very intentional and that all makes total sense! Just offering another opinion. Some great design elements in both though and I'm very excited to see what we end up with! Despite being the largest detachment in the Legion, FISD hasn't always been known for their incredible (or drama-free) merch, so I'd be happy to pay a bit more for something truly distinctive for this occasion if that tempers anyone's design efforts. Great work and much appreciated!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Some great ideas.  Here is one thought: NO HELMET at all.  This way there is no way anyone can feel excluded.   The 5th anniversary coin for instance had no helmet at all. 

Loving the Roman theme, btw. :)

10 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Thanks.

Q1hA3Kw.png

2kXAUcM.png

This is merely my 2¢, for special occasions - go nuts. Dual plating, glitter, 3D molds, etc. What’s $2-3 more a coin every 15 years?

Great designs so far! Stiff competition.

• Like 2

Absolutely amazing design Greg :icon_bow:

I too have an idea on possible alterations. Could one replace the "XV" on the front with a white EIB DLT-19? The laurels would have to be moved a bit i guess.

That way the imperial cog, the DLT-19 and the laurels are all featured on the front which means we can lose them in the back to make space for a big raised golden "XV" in the center of the back side much like the X shown in the picture Justin posted.

I wouldn't want to add gold to the front side as this would disturb the nice blue and red play of colours.

Then this coin would be set up just like most real coins - a big head in the center of one side, a number on the other.

Greg thank you for jumping in on the competition right away and showing us your amazing ideas.  There are some other great ideas that have been suggested so far.  However, instead of attempting to change Greg's design how about taking some of the ideas mentioned and submitting new designs?  I'm sure Greg could play around with his designs if he so chooses based upon recommendations but for the purposes of a competition it would be nice to see other submitted designs as well.

• Like 4

On 3/30/2021 at 1:50 AM, Yacorp said:

Absolutely amazing design Greg :icon_bow:

I too have an idea on possible alterations. Could one replace the "XV" on the front with a white EIB DLT-19? The laurels would have to be moved a bit i guess.

That way the imperial cog, the DLT-19 and the laurels are all featured on the front which means we can lose them in the back to make space for a big raised golden "XV" in the center of the back side much like the X shown in the picture Justin posted.

I wouldn't want to add gold to the front side as this would disturb the nice blue and red play of colours.

Then this coin would be set up just like most real coins - a big head in the center of one side, a number on the other.

Thanks. I took some of your ideas and came up with this multi-plated metal design. I’m also playing around with a 3D design for the front... sort of. 

And yes, thank you @starsaber25, let’s see some other designs. :smiley-sw013:

aKKTgPj.png
4HIT4FH.png

• Like 10

Great designs, Greg!!! :-)

If I may, as this is about celebrating the detachment, rather than Stormtroopers themselves, I’d love to see some designs based around “Troopers helping troopers”. This way, it is more about 15 years of helping people reach their dream, rather than just stormtroopers.

I’d love to throw some designs in but an a bit tight for time at the moment with other projects. Perhaps our excellent designer folks might have some ideas around?

Personally, I’d still include the classic stormtrooper image somewhere on the coin, but would also add “Troopers Helping Troopers” - something that encapsulates the spirit of the FISD

Thanks. I took some of your ideas and came up with this multi-plated metal design. I’m also playing around with a 3D design for the front... sort of. 

And yes, thank you [mention=15509]starsaber25[/mention], let’s see some other designs. :smiley-sw013:
aKKTgPj.png
4HIT4FH.png

Ou yea...this last version is the best... Wonderful job
  • Like 1

This may be a little too abstract for most people (I know a lot of people usually want to see pics of helmets, characters, weapons and whatnot), but I liked how it turned out, so I figured I'd at least sub it.  The first side takes some elements and colors from the FISD logo(s) as well as the back plate of the TK's.  The second side has all the info.  All using the colors and typefaces from the OP.

fisd-coin-01.png?crc=97004130

• Like 14

1 hour ago, iceknyght said:

This may be a little too abstract for most people (I know a lot of people usually want to see pics of helmets, characters, weapons and whatnot), but I liked how it turned out, so I figured I'd at least sub it.  The first side takes some elements and colors from the FISD logo(s) as well as the back plate of the TK's.  The second side has all the info.  All using the colors and typefaces from the OP.

Not gonna lie - I'm digging this O I I design. My critique would be that there would appear to be large numerals on both sides of the coin. Too bad this isn't the 011th anniversary. ;)

1 minute ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Not gonna lie - I'm digging this O I I design. My critique would be that there would appear to be large numerals on both sides of the coin. Too bad this isn't the 011th anniversary. ;)

LOL!  Well, there is no "O" roman numeral, so that's a plus, right?  LOL!

• Like 1

It’s a very good design... I prefer that Roman Empire style, but this design for the annual coin run or for the EIB would be fantastic... You are making real art works. It's going to be hard to choose with this level of masterpieces.

:salute:
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, iceknyght said:

I am loving the back of this coin.  Did he hear me say in staff area that I think we should put tube stripes somewhere on the coin?  Pretty much looks like there are on the sides lol.  Very nice job.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Quinquer said:

It’s a very good design... I prefer that Roman Empire style, but this design for the annual coin run or for the EIB would be fantastic... You are making real art works. It's going to be hard to choose with this level of masterpieces.

:salute:

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, starsaber25 said:

I am loving the back of this coin.  Did he hear me say in staff area that I think we should put tube stripes somewhere on the coin?  Pretty much looks like there are on the sides lol.  Very nice job.

Thanks!  I was just trying to utilize parts from the logo/costume as design elements!  :D 

4 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Great designs, Greg!!! :-)

If I may, as this is about celebrating the detachment, rather than Stormtroopers themselves, I’d love to see some designs based around “Troopers helping troopers”. This way, it is more about 15 years of helping people reach their dream, rather than just stormtroopers.

I’d love to throw some designs in but an a bit tight for time at the moment with other projects. Perhaps our excellent designer folks might have some ideas around?

Personally, I’d still include the classic stormtrooper image somewhere on the coin, but would also add “Troopers Helping Troopers” - something that encapsulates the spirit of the FISD

Something like this?

mOguN2Q.png
M0ceVHA.png

• Like 9

I LOVE the idea of getting the Troopers Helping Troopers theme in there. And your mock-up is AWESOME, Greg. It’s going to be impossible for Command to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow these are great.

One thing to remember, as this will be a coin for the year, a gold version will be made and numbered for the new Expert Infantry coin, so what ever the design, they will be getting something special.

2 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Ok, I have one more design for your consideration.  And then I'm done... I promise. 

I call this "Hastily Drawn TK Distraughtly Measuring Brow Height". 

Gnv3JvD.png

;)

Oh my - he looks too sad for a commemorative coin... ;-)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Oh my - he looks too sad for a commemorative coin... ;-)

Not to mention his eyes remind me of the Alien baby offspring of Ripley. Almost there though, keep up the great work Greg :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1