ESB TK WIP - UKG - first build - hoping for centurian

CallMeMrTibbles

Hi Richard, What I usually do to fit the thighs is to adjust both sides to the center and keeping aligned with the front cover strips too.  In your case, If the bottom section feels good, just adjust the upper part as shown .  Try first as you did in the last photos you posted.

craqcmT.jpg

I should do this

2oiQHEV.jpg  

U6mHhcW.png?1

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Thank you. Even after looking at ref pic after ref pic it's so hard deciding where to make that cutz, so really appreciate what you've said

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

What we are looking is the thighs and shins cover strip alignment.

eTmMJMy.jpg   

• Like 1

What about the gap between thighs and shin? It's obvs much bigger than pretty much every ref pic I've seen, but not much I can do about it (I think). I'm about 195cm tall, and this is all the RWA XL plastics.

1 minute ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

What about the gap between thighs and shin? It's obvs much bigger than pretty much every ref pic I've seen, but not much I can do about it (I think). I'm about 195cm tall, and this is all the RWA XL plastics.

For tall Troopers is not a problem. 

• Like 1

Received the new sniper knee from Ross at RWA today. It's in 1mm abs, so much easier to cut and fit to the shin.

My question here is, which is more important, for the centre of the sniper plate to sit flush with the coverstrip so there's no gap, or for the trailing edges to be in line with the top of the shin?

Thanks506edb8c74c75b2165c29e2845100edf.jpg98adedf3b99d3fd4e83f51a52bc93382.jpg35a619f766809e4f35714b6c8cc83182.jpg

12 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

My question here is, which is more important, for the centre of the sniper plate to sit flush with the coverstrip so there's no gap, or for the trailing edges to be in line with the top of the shin?

Hi Richard, glad to see your new sniper knee.  

When making a review, we consider not only the CRL as it but the screen Reference images . 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
Sniper knee plate must be aligned with the ridges on the shin.

REFERENCE IMAGES

284c0Z2.png?1  J5RVyTq.jpg?2   

1zonDz3.jpg

This is a recent build I made with a RWA Kit, as you can see the Snipper knee aligned with the ridges and closer to the cover strip.

42YNUzh.jpg?1

In your case , I would suggest you can trim the corners a little to allow the sniper knee to get closer to the cover strip and keeping the ridge alignment too. You could try trimming little by little .  The 1mm abs thick could be easy to adjust.

Uft3Mzw.jpg?1

:salute:

• Like 1

Trimmed a little off, and now on the edge of the plate fitting comfortably enough to glue without deforming. Looks like basic clearance only for this knee plate. Will get everything else up to scratch and down the line replace the knee (again) for higher clearance

3 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Trimmed a little off, and now on the edge of the plate fitting comfortably enough to glue without deforming. Looks like basic clearance only for this knee plate. Will get everything else up to scratch and down the line replace the knee (again) for higher clearance emoji20.png

Do you have some pic? 

No worries. Happy to put my hands up and say I didn't properly consult requirements re the trailing edge. Ordered a (hopefully final) new knee from Ross, and will pay more attention this time. All good

No worries. Happy to put my hands up and say I didn't properly consult requirements re the trailing edge. Ordered a (hopefully final) new knee from Ross, and will pay more attention this time. All good

I wouldn’t order another one yet, Rich, as yours looks like the reference images I just posted. I’d wait to hear back from the DOs (deployment officers).
  • Like 1

Thanks Dan

Playing devil's advocate a bit, is it that the higher levels go for the ideal of what the armour should be, rather than going for imperfections and inaccuracies in some screen used stuff?

Thanks Dan

Playing devil's advocate a bit, is it that the higher levels go for the ideal of what the armour should be, rather than going for imperfections and inaccuracies in some screen used stuff?

Yes, to some extend, that’s correct.

This is the CRL model for ESB, and it’s a fantastic build. Yet, the sniper knee is also not fully aligned with the shin.

52f64c52d597445bec5cf6fdc9f9d645.png

Apologies - I’ve just seen that you posted different pictures here to your UKG thread. The alignment I’m referencing is below from your UKG thread;

2e1cfe5516080bbe2e8d78f17347cae7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That pic from the UK thread is after trimming as per the advice, and there's no way that's going to get any better (I think fits worse).

No problem. New knee on order and will start it again.

That pic from the UK thread is after trimming as per the advice, and there's no way that's going to get any better (I think fits worse).

No problem. New knee on order and will start it again.

Looks good, to my eye. ;-)
  • Like 1

Thanks Dan. Mine too based on your pics, but I guess it's the guys that sign off lvl 2 and 3 that I have to keep happy if I want Centurian (be a shame to miss out for the sake of a knee)

No worries, Rich. Up to you if you want to go for screen accurate (and what suits the shape of your parts) or Centurion. Based on the above reference photos that I supplied, including the photo of the CRL model, I can’t see that they’d query it in light of this.

See if Mario or Joseph can step in with some advice. :-)

• Like 1

I know the sniper knee placement can certainly be tricky, especially since different armorer's designs can vary.  Are we looking for perfection at Centurion?  Nope.  Not at all.  Heaven knows there were variations in screen used armor as seen in the references already posted, but what we aim for is (as Sha Sha puts it) that "Fresh off the Death Star" look.  In a word, continuity.

I think for the most part the sniper knee ridges were lined up with the top of the calf, thus the CRL requirement.  Exceptions?  Absolutely.  Even in the CRL model.

if6DCsA.jpg ZRRpcTz.jpg sRRn7OW.jpg FRjXovC.jpg

VdQUDH6.jpg

As Mario mentioned, RWA sniper knees can indeed be lined up with the ridges as seen in these 2 examples.  Note that the upper ridges on the one on the right are lined up but there is a gap at the bottom. 

OrVwHv9.jpg?1  u5aBaCz.jpg?1

Personally, I would rather see the tops lined up (first example) as per the CRL and have that gap, since the bottoms are not that noticeable (but the tops are).

ZZPawtC.jpg  Nr6kWYU.jpg

So the question is "Would I get knocked for this at Centurion"?  We have made allowances for all sorts of things in the past, and this is not the biggest of issues so not to worry.  While we would prefer to see perfect alignment, it's not always possible, and we understand.  Perhaps raise it half way if possible?

• Like 3