ESB TK WIP - UKG - first build - hoping for centurian

CallMeMrTibbles

Here's a couple of ANH references which may help. There is no specific size of return edge mentioned in the CRL's so I don't think you would have any issues 

gallery_12157_78_57011.jpg

gallery_12157_59_17022.jpg

gallery_12157_59_24814.jpg

gallery_12157_59_18991.jpggallery_12157_15_27566.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks

That's a huge difference between the various pics!

Will crack on with it today. Will go for a smaller return, as I've seen a fair few posts talk about keeping it small for comfort while trooping

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking GREAT, Richard, and super-nice job on those return edges!  :jc_doublethumbup:   Only 2 small suggestions right now (and you may just have not reached that point yet) but the hand guards and wrist openings could use a little "Dremel love". 

6lxbAIJ.jpg?1

As per the CRLs for Level 3, all return edges need to be removed from the "hump" at the wrist opening.  EASY!

y6RbrgA.jpg?1       tIJV8Yy.jpg 3yPVC76.jpg?1  6zfSvQN.jpg?1

Keep it up, sir!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 4:44 AM, CallMeMrTibbles said:

This is how I've ended up trimming it. So much neater than the screen used stuff emoji23.png Thanks for the help and reference pics

Isn't THAT an understatement!?!  I see so many of these dug up photos of the screen used stuff and cringe at the thought of posting pics of work like that as my own.  The images and the armor shows it age, but so many of us new guys are striving for outright perfection that in comparison to the screen used stuff, ours looks TOO GOOD! 

Richard, you are doing excellent work that even this OCD new builder appreciates.  Keep it up, my friend!  I'm also working on an ESB armor set, but from AM, here in the States.  Needing badly to start my own build (progress) thread and share some of my photos as well.  Enjoy the journey.

• Like 3

Richard, you are doing excellent work that even this OCD new builder appreciates.  Keep it up, my friend!

Thanks buddy! Really appreciate you saying that.

Yeah, the build quality of that older, screen used stuff is really something else, eh!? I've seen a couple of examples of proper replica helmets, with all the dings and chipped paint, but not seen a true 'warts and all' replica full outfit. Not sure I'd want to tackle that though!

Good luck with your build! I'm about the try and find a link to your wip thread, as I'm looking for all the tips and inspiration around.

Stay safe

I read somewhere recently...
"You can never have too many clamps"

I, however, have too few or I'd be doing the chest and ab too

(The magnets are 'weakened' using plastic spacers on the inside)2860a8574507f1a4809ce7d5abba64a2.jpg77267bad31bbe9a3475edcbec8529470.jpg99d9c1ccdce395b62819a85a3eaff267.jpg

Doubling up on magnets can increase there power.

When you want to build quickly there are no "too many" clamps, magnets and even painters tape. I also use small strips of ABS to help hold snaps so you only need to use one clamp or set of magnets.

I ordered more magnets after this image was taken.

upG2FJs.jpg

• Like 2

That’s an impressive clamp collection!

I also find these type of ratchet clamps really useful, particularly for the ends of the cover strips on areas like biceps and forearms. They have big rubber ‘feet’ so they cover a large surface area but won’t damage the plastic. They’re also surprisingly manoeuvrable for tight areas.

ccb226c1865101e2585e6292f5b7754a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Popper tabs gluing on chest and ab, and elastic straps made and fitted for back/kidney/butt

14fef3b692a5622b9ec91d4dd52bac72.jpg

End caps glued to td yesterday. Today gluing control panel and Dropbox inners in place.

0a37b352006056120ab27e413c13cef6.jpg

Finally, making a start on my first limb assemblies; the biceps. Watched Ross's video and the RS propmasters videos about this. Links below...

One thing the RS prop video shows which the RWA video doesn't is to make sure to line up the bottom edge of both bicep halves (top edge is all over the place and mostly hidden by shoulder bell anyway?). Did this throughout and got a better fit quicker (I'm not following the RS prop measurements). Following the same process for the left bicep, but won't do any cutting until I hear back from my UKG armourer, just in case! (he's gotta sign me off after all)

529a4f1bec4221223795f62f3981c21a.jpg

So, here's my clearance photos, yeah?

How it feels and fits...

To have the bottom of the chest just above the large button plate means either the top of the chest is up against my neck or the cod feels too low. Can get top of the sides of kidney and ab to line up, but as I'm wearing it in these pics it feels like it's all hanging too low (saggy but plate), but raising it all up makes the chest push into my neck and the back stands even further off my body. Should the butt and cod be quite fitted? Suggestions?

Keep getting overlap at back/kidney and kidney/butt junctions, so thinking of adding 4 extra straps at the far sides (one at each side at each junction) to try and hold them in place.

In the pic it looks like the kidney section is sitting at an angle, but the raised centre section moulding is actually at a slight angle. Is that a screen accurate 'feature'?

To have the back section sitting flatter against my back kicks out the bottom of that section and makes it overlap. Not sure how to fix that (not sure if extra straps will necessarily help ).e0fb7b70bafb72575f2e868eb1873488.jpg411d31256f8994ed7879836de42a5698.jpgca4208effee8043070db9b0eed6bbc9d.jpge0fa6012983ed78d63dfe148d98659aa.jpgacd7b7899eb61876c0716c19fb09d455.jpgf13e68606c328d4896610ab15b64e0c8.jpg

Hi Richard, this first test looks good. If I can suggest something, for better fit , wearing your inner black clothes would give you a better idea for adjustments.  

Keep on doing a great work!  B)

• Like 2

I have some short strips of metal to act as thin spacers, but not sure if using metal reduces their effective strength(?)

Edit:
Geek warning

Seems how metal spacers affect magnetism is complicated, but looks like thin metal spacers reduce the magnetic attraction (I think). Will switch to plastic spacers.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=block-or-extend

2nd edit:
Does 'feel' like using plastic spacers allows a stronger pull than metal spacers

Hi Richard, definitely we never have enough magnets and clamps :laugh1:, a tip I have been using when assembling thigs and shins is to place a piece of wood along the cover strip and pressure with clamps. It has worked really good to me.

gVNIMjy.jpg?1

dzxEtB0.jpg    

I55ihbM.jpg

:salute:

• Like 1

About 10 hours in from applying glue, and just noticed that the bottom of one of my cover strips is off centre at the bottom I'm guessing it's best to just rip off and do it again (kinda answering my own question here I think)

(I was going to sand off to the coverstrip with my dremel anyway, so the gap wouldn't be an issue)16b270c46a2c4773a7968354c204968a.jpg

1 hour ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

About 10 hours in from applying glue, and just noticed that the bottom of one of my cover strips is off centre at the bottom emoji31.png I'm guessing it's best to just rip off and do it again (kinda answering my own question here I think)

(I was going to sand off to the coverstrip with my dremel anyway, so the gap wouldn't be an issue)

Don't worry Richard, It doesn't need to be perfect, at the end, when making the adjustment  with your boots, you will probably need to trim that section a bit.

Reference Image

f2mvenX.jpg?1

• Like 1