Helmet Foam Trimming or Adjustments

Hey all,

This is ALL new to me and I've never made any kind of costume adjustments before, so I wanted to at least list my thought process and attempts here so that I can get some second opinions. 

I received my first ever armor recently (commission build) and was excited to try it on.  After some effort (and some assistance from my wife) I was able to get this awesome armor on.

H6V5HzF.jpge9JmK5S.jpg

UquvxMR.jpg8eUOpq8.jpg

The armor looks great and I was really excited to wear it. I sent the pictures to my GML for approval and he noticed that the helmet sits a little higher than it should. I took another look and I have to agree that it's way too high. You can see in the pictures that you can see the back of my neck because I need to tilt the helm forward a bit for the eyes to be level with mine (and so I can see).  My head is abnormally large so that's probably a big part of the problem, so I think I'll need to adjust the inside.

The foam inside can be taken out (it has velcro), so thankfully it shouldn't be too difficult to make adjustments.

V373VYp.jpg

kuFKPSG.jpg

OmBJOL6.jpg

Bvhi4r5.jpg

I don't have any trimming experience or tools. Should I try and trim it down with scissors? Maybe cut out 50%? I'm looking for any recommendations from a new guy with no previous experience. 

Thanks in advance for the help!!! Really excited to join the 501st here soon.

Foam is a little hard to cut and get a good finish, I would suggest a very sharp knife would be better than using scissors. I use 1/3 of that thickness inside the top of my helmet

You may have to adjust some of your strapping, you have a few areas needing pulling in, kidney on the right side, butt plate flaring backwards, also being hit by thighs.

e9JmK5S.jpg

To be honest, you don't really need any padding in the top of your helmet unless your head is actually touching it, Daniel.  Even then, I would suggest as little as possible to help it sit lower.  Although not required for Basic approval, below are some items that will help your armor look it's best!  If we can be of any help at all with the adjustments (or anything, for that matter), always feel free to ask... it's what we do best!

Your shoulder bells could come in a bit at the top (closer to the bridges)               I would consider raising the left bicep a little to where it is level with the right one.  Your kidney looks askew, and     

And the left one looks to be about an inch longer than the right one.                      may need to be centered more.  Also, the butt plate ideally should sit under the kidney.

ldPkGDp.jpg                    Of75b9s.jpgrzSn6rm.jpg

In a perfect world, the cover strips should face the                               Ideally, the outside edges of the drop

front.  Rotating them in a bit would help.                                              boxes should line up with the outside

edges of the ABS belt.

YWsoiYE.jpg                                pQxRVMA.jpg