Brew12's ANH Stunt ATA Build Thread

Brew12

It seems a little early to start a build thread since my armor is still a few weeks out but that doesn't mean things haven't been happening. Besides, starting early will make sure I can figure out how to add pictures and understand the formatting for when everything does get here. 

The BBB may be a few weeks off but today was officially LBB&E day. As in Little Brown Box and Envelope day. I've actually been ordering supplies for the last 2 weeks and organizing it in a work space. I have a completely empty bedroom I am using for the build so I never have to worry about putting things away and getting them back out again. Hopefully this will make things go easier. 

15DXdnk.jpg?1

ibPIfQ1.jpg?1

L5EpFkF.jpg?1

I also got my iComm kit and fan cooling kit in!
Thank you Ukswrath!

zKWi1nz.jpg?1

y0NBBnk.jpg?1

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 2

You may need to use a free online photo host such as Imgur to host your images, google doesn't work very well with the forums.

Looks like you are just about ready to roll, just need some white bits ;) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You may need to use a free online photo host such as Imgur to host your images, google doesn't work very well with the forums.

Looks like you are just about ready to roll, just need some white bits ;) 

Thanks! A few weeks without the good stuff will give me time to practice my forum skills!

• Like 3

The best part is yet to come. Ukswrath is quality kit.
Also, I use Tapatalk to list the forums I’m on and upload pictures directly through the app. Still a little wonky now and then but a little easier than a host site. At least for me.

You can never have enough magnets, clamps or tape, in fact I have another 150 magnets since this photo and double the amount of clamps ;)

• Like 4

I had 3 things related to this build that I wanted to get done this past weekend. 

1. Glue backings onto gloves. Status? Gloves got cleaned, that was it.

2. Build and paint PVC mannequin. Status? Got parts, that was it.

3. Assemble 3d printer. Status? Let's just say it's the reason nothing else got done.

Ordered an Ender 5 plus and then ordered some upgrades for it that were supposed to be plug and play. Figured I would put the upgrades on as I built it. The build itself was straight forward but I just can't get the darn thing to work. The symptom is that the the base won't get within 2" of the print head as part of the calibration. The problem? I'm hoping that the issue is the firmware on the new control board I installed. I've pretty much ruled out everything else that I could think of. It could be a faulty motherboard because I also couldn't get my PC to connect to it properly.

Ah well... at least I have a few weeks to get this resolved before BBB day is here. 

• Like 1

If it's like most printer there is an area in setup where you can adjust the height and position of the head, not sure about Enders, I would have a look on FB there are quite a lot of printing communities there, no doubt there would be some for the Ender's ;) 

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

If it's like most printer there is an area in setup where you can adjust the height and position of the head, not sure about Enders, I would have a look on FB there are quite a lot of printing communities there, no doubt there would be some for the Ender's ;) 

After many hours of troubleshooting, I know the problem at least, if not the cause. When I tell the print bed to move to the Home position, it should extend the BLtouch probe and raise the bed until the print bed hits it. Mine is extending and immediately retracting without contact so it thinks the board is already there and then lowers the board to adjust. 

Not sure if it is a hardware problem with the switch or a software problem though.

• Like 1

Progress is being made. The 3d printer is setup and working. I think my workspace is well stocked for the build and just needs a little more organizing before it's ready. In exciting news, ATA informed me that my armor is being made this weekend. 

Since most of my prep work is done, and I've gone through what was a miserable time setting up the 3d printer, I haven't done too much build related until this morning. Right now the E6000 is drying on the flexible guards for me gloves. I also started the mannequin stand early in the week and hope to have that finished and painted today.

R2I5s2X.jpg?1

zwEzfyd.jpg?2

• Like 2

Depending on the silicon E6000 may not hold, just leave for a few days and try wearing and bending to see if they hold, some use superglue to affix their handplates. 

On 3/6/2021 at 4:15 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Depending on the silicon E6000 may not hold, just leave for a few days and try wearing and bending to see if they hold, some use superglue to affix their handplates. 

You nailed it, the backs aren't sticking to the gloves nearly well enough. Not a big deal. The goal for tonight will be to take some pictures to make sure the placement is correct. Then I will clean them up and use some superglue to more permanently affix them.

In other news, I did get my boots ordered from IB. That leaves my last planned purchase as the belt. I won't order that until I'm done with the torso part of the build so I can get an exact measurement.

And, lastly, ATA expects my armor to be finished up tomorrow. My BBB day is rapidly getting closer!

• Like 1

Yesterday was the first of 2 BBB days. The armor came and everything looks great. The  box with the helmet materials should be here Monday. Looks like it is about time to start on the biceps!

GFqZlwb.jpg?1

• Like 1

Today was BBB day #2 and all of the parts for the helmet made it safely. That leaves the boots and gun ordered but not delivered, and the belt waiting to be ordered.

fSv5qLy.jpg?1

I also worked on the biceps today. My intent was to completely remove the upper return edge and leave just a little on the bottoms of the pieces. What I actually did was neither. I removed almost all of the return edge from the top except for the small area it seemed to make sense to leave them to keep the opening more rounded. I left less of the return edge on the bottoms than planned. It just seemed to work with the molded pieces better the way I did it. I have to admit I was caught off guard just how different each pair of pieces was from it's opposite. If time allows, I'll cut them to size and start gluing.

72QT5pb.jpg?1

And yes, I probably should have been nervous to remove this much material from my first cuts on my first costume but the pieces really guided me. Gave me confidence. Hopefully not of the false variety!

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Some threads you may find helpful:

Thanks, I have some of those threads just about memorized!

I do have one question that I can't seem to find an answer to and am hoping you can help with. I had assumed (yes, I should know better) that when doing a butt joint that the inner and outer cover strips would go on at the same time. Looking at your build thread, and watching a few videos, it seems like the outer strip is put on first than the inner. I would worry about glue seeping through the seam and sticking my magnets/clamps to the armor. Am I missing something? Is there a best practice on this that I can't find?

47 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

it seems like the outer strip is put on first than the inner. I would worry about glue seeping through the seam and sticking my magnets/clamps to the armor. Am I missing something? Is there a best practice on this that I can't find?

Hi Steven, in my experience, I use only the outer cover strips with no problems at all.  And if you are using E6000, a bit of glue on your magnets/clamps wouldn't  stick them even with 24 hours drying time. you can easy  take them off just pulling. 

This is what I usually do to glue the forearms cover strips, and when it dries, you feel like the wood pieces , or magnets when I use them,  sre  stuck, but just pull it them out and clean the excess of glue by rubbing with the thumb.

gLxvaEC.jpg?1   gVNIMjy.jpg?1

One tip is to place painter's tape in the inner side , like it was an inner cover strip to keep the pieces together and to  avoid the glue to spread inside.

txlblZD.jpg?2  NfTJwcX.jpg?2

:salute:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Steven, in my experience, I use only the outer cover strips with no problems at all.  And if you are using E6000, a bit of glue on your magnets/clamps wouldn't  stick them even with 24 hours drying time. you can easy  take them off just pulling. 

This is what I usually do to glue the forearms cover strips, and when it dries, you feel like the wood pieces , or magnets when I use them,  sre  stuck, but just pull it them out and clean the excess of glue by rubbing with the thumb.

One tip is to place painter's tape in the inner side , like it was an inner cover strip to keep the pieces together and to  avoid the glue to spread inside.

:salute:

7 minutes ago, tat2trooper said:

I also do the painters tape on the inside seam to hold it together while doing cover strip. 

Great stuff, thank you! Some of this needs to be pinned into a reference! The one on doing the butt joints is one of the few posts I didn't find useful. 

My plan will be to do the outer cover strip only with tape on the inside. If there is an issue, adding the inner cover strip will be easy enough later. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brew12 said:

My plan will be to do the outer cover strip only with tape on the inside. If there is an issue, adding the inner cover strip will be easy enough later. 

Sounds good :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1