Swannee's Pre-Approval Thread

CT 1977

16 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

I find the easiest way to post pics here is using tapatalk (if you're posting from your phone).

Install the app, then add pics to your post one at a time to upload at highest res possible. If you upload two or more at once it reduces the resolution.

Thanks, Richard. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is how the tape job turned out...live and learn. 

qyrBQ0g.jpg

This is what it looked like after I cleaned it up and before painting.

gk7u9Rk.jpg

...and this is what it looked like after I painted. I think it came out okay. Thoughts?

rTIhghj.jpg

l3BJujn.jpg

sS6mBcO.jpg

Recently I found some new to the market tape, it was called Frog tape (painters tape), it has a finer glue residue and seems to lay a lot smoother, doesn't allow as much bleed, may be something to look out for.

I do find if you give a light coat of paint first that this will fill in any bleed areas, once dry you then go over with the grey.

Appears you may just be touching the gums in a few places, you could use a toothpick or something similar or mineral spirits to rub off the extra paint, here are a few references, notice the gap between the grey and gums

gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

gallery_12157_36_77206.jpg

Here is an example from one of the EIB applications.

qHuhEsA.jpg

5 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Recently I found some new to the market tape, it was called Frog tape (painters tape), it has a finer glue residue and seems to lay a lot smoother, doesn't allow as much bleed, may be something to look out for.

I do find if you give a light coat of paint first that this will fill in any bleed areas, once dry you then go over with the grey.

Appears you may just be touching the gums in a few places, you could use a toothpick or something similar or mineral spirits to rub off the extra paint, here are a few references, notice the gap between the grey and gums

gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

gallery_12157_36_77206.jpg

Here is an example from one of the EIB applications.

qHuhEsA.jpg

Thanks, Glen. I've seen the Frog tape...I'll have to try some. I was using a model from somewhere on this forum that showed a wider paint scheme on the teeth but every where I look now, they all show like the ones you posted here. Yeah, I got pretty good with the tooth pick, Q-tip, turpentine and exacto knife cleaning up the original mess. Those lines are just so straight....this will be my go-to model now. Thanks, again.

• Like 1

Hey Glen,

See below. Another good example of proper tooth painting.

Also, re: Frog Tape...like I mentioned, I had seen Frog Tape but never really given it much thought, and never remember seeing any ad's for it. Last night, a couple hours after I read your post about it, I saw an ad for it on TV. Kinda crazy - but I'll def pick some up on my next trip to Lowes.

•  

Hi Colin.

I'll be the DO making your review.

You have done a great work with your build mate, mine is a RWA armor too , great kit .

In order to continue with your EIB app , I will need you to do me a favor Trooper, just a simple paint fix to your helmet frown.

CRL: Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area

It looks like yours has some areas that will need a  little paint removing to get a better look and accuracy.

Just 15 minutes painting session with a non acetone paint remover,  a few toothpicks and cotton swabs and you will be golden! 

KXr03I8.jpg?1

Reference Images.

PVOrdpF.jpg                  7kDxvC1.jpg   

Thank you  :salute:

Living to Fight Another Day.

2130040782_imperialcog2.jpg.8536d94e14f3769f44cfdf186525262c.jpg1846911337_costaricagarrisonpeq.jpg.3a9503eec75847216703adbcd1663fb0.jpgYCFfabH.jpg

•  
  • Deployment Officer[Staff]
  • command_newblue.png.d5d3f1a0dba6ab6b0c42
  • Position: DO
  •  
  • attache_award1.png
  •  
  • expert_infantry_badge1.png
  •  
  • EIB Cohorts: ANH-S
  • Name:Mario
  • 501st ID:48117
  • 501st Unit:Costa Rica Garrison

"Spartans Never Die..."

Hey Glen,

Below is a template from Panda Trooper. Do you know anyone that's used these. I'm curious as to the curvature that is part of the template and how that comes out in the end. 

I really appreciate your help and time.

Bill

• pandatrooper
  • 501st Stormtrooper[TK]
  • team_501stormtrooper.png
  •  
  • achievementaward2.png
  • serviceaward2.png
  • expert_infantry_badge1.png
  •  
  • EIB Cohorts: ANH-H
  • Name:Terry
  • 501st ID:2886
  • 501st Unit:Outer Rim Garrison

Here's some tube strip masking templates if you want to cut your own. I made these in Adobe Illustrator from scratch, they are not based on any specific trooper or design. Print them out to size, then place them on top of sign vinyl, etc. Cut through the paper and vinyl (ideally without cutting through the vinyl backing paper) and simply weed out (remove) the inner bits on the vinyl to create the template.

You can use sign vinyl, masking tape or airbrush frisket. Use a sharp Exacto / hobby blade.

Here's how I paint them:

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14806&view=findpost&p=179529

When printing these out, they should be 13/16" (@16mm) tall.

Aih9arM.png&key=54e68739e89d87f33bc861a4

Looking much better, you may just have to touch up any wobbly areas, just marked a couple that appear to stand out ;) 

Jj72UsT.thumb.jpg.32c0684bcecf175b07909563dcfceba0.jpg

4 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Hey Glen,

Below is a template from Panda Trooper. Do you know anyone that's used these. I'm curious as to the curvature that is part of the template and how that comes out in the end. 

I really appreciate your help and time.

Bill

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14806&view=findpost&p=179529

When printing these out, they should be 13/16" (@16mm) tall.

Aih9arM.png&key=54e68739e89d87f33bc861a4

I vaguely remember something about the height of them being too long, need to be 16mm (which is noted) so as long as you print to that size. You will need to angle the front stripe downwards, when the template was first made that detail was not known.

Just modified the file so it falls forward now from the tops ;) 

Aih9arM.png.053242df178a8abbdc2e7ecb3413b081.png

A great thread on the position and fall of the tube stripes

00a63035f5a6bab81dc18d6d523bb9b6.jpg

mDDsy4w.jpg

59 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking much better, you may just have to touch up any wobbly areas, just marked a couple that appear to stand out ;) 

Jj72UsT.thumb.jpg.32c0684bcecf175b07909563dcfceba0.jpg

ok, cool, will do! Just picked up some Frog Tape...can't wait to use it. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CT 1977 said:

ok, cool, will do! Just picked up some Frog Tape...can't wait to use it. Thanks!

Contact (well that's what we call it here) book covering plastic film can work well. For some projects I reverse the image and print on the back of the contact sheet as its paper, then you can trim out the stripes and you have a nice template.

0359170__47768.1629926256.jpg?c=2

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Contact (well that's what we call it here) book covering plastic film can work well. For some projects I reverse the image and print on the back of the contact sheet as its paper, then you can trim out the stripes and you have a nice template.

0359170__47768.1629926256.jpg?c=2

That's a really good tip about the book covering...I'm going to look for that, I guess at an Office Depot or similar. Also, great idea on the reverse image. I'm going to try that once I'm to that point. I'm going to get the rest of the painting out of the way, do the tube stripes then attach and paint the ears.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

That's a really good tip about the book covering...I'm going to look for that, I guess at an Office Depot or similar. Also, great idea on the reverse image. I'm going to try that once I'm to that point. I'm going to get the rest of the painting out of the way, do the tube stripes then attach and paint the ears.

Also applying some white paint first into your template should block any areas which might bleed, once dry paint blue as normal 

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Also applying some white paint first into your template should block any areas which might bleed, once dry paint blue as normal 

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere. Do you know the name of the white paint off the top of your head. I can def look it up but if you know, that would be helpful. 

52 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere. Do you know the name of the white paint off the top of your head. I can def look it up but if you know, that would be helpful. 

I normally use anything I have handy, most base whites should be ok, but some armor is a different shade of white so you may need to eye match. I would think though any white that blocks any leaked areas could be removed after your top coat color has dried.

I know the humbrol white paint a few have used has been ok but is quite cream appearance, I think that one was #22 from memory

On 1/23/2022 at 7:57 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I normally use anything I have handy, most base whites should be ok, but some armor is a different shade of white so you may need to eye match. I would think though any white that blocks any leaked areas could be removed after your top coat color has dried.

I know the humbrol white paint a few have used has been ok but is quite cream appearance, I think that one was #22 from memory

okay, that sounds good. I'll be working on it more this weekend. Not likely getting to the stripes but hopefully making progress.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is what it looked like when I removed the tape.

PYL05q8.jpg

Then, after I cleaned it up. I've got some touching up to do on all four but I'm happy with how the cleaning up went. Anyone out there, please feel free to use these photos as an example of a bad idea and how not to do this job:6: I'll touch it up using a pencil outline and also on the tears....and do my best to stay inside the lines:huh:

xQudy81.jpg

We live and learn, my first attempt was not the best, I found some masking tape called Frog tape, it has less glue residue and sits flatter than painters tape that seems to stop a lot of the bleed, also painting the white first.

Normally the paint will be soft enough to use a toothpick to scrape off any excess.

And just a little trick, a permanent marker can be useful for little touch ups and lines ;) 

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

We live and learn, my first attempt was not the best, I found some masking tape called Frog tape, it has less glue residue and sits flatter than painters tape that seems to stop a lot of the bleed, also painting the white first.

Normally the paint will be soft enough to use a toothpick to scrape off any excess.

And just a little trick, a permanent marker can be useful for little touch ups and lines ;) 

Dude, that's exactly what I thinking...thanks for the confirmation with the marker idea!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

You never learn if everything goes right first time. It'll be amazing when it's finished emoji106.png

yeah, I've always like the saying "you never make a mistake if you stay on the couch".  Thanks, guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Touch up job...one more coat and that should do it.

blwN9tl.jpg

b1sA89S.jpg

Bfmepzy.jpg

I'm thinking a little more touch up on the traps and a second coat on the tears (terminology is correct, right?) and should be ready for the gray.

I'd do one more coat, at times you can find the humbrol paints quite thin, can just see through sin some spots

41 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

one more coat on everything? If so, probably a third coat on the tears?

Anywhere you may still see white through, could be the reflection of your photos but appears there are a few spots. You'll be amazed how much it can stand out once you paint the grey on.

Bfmepzy.thumb.jpg.5e0d7358978535a586a7fa3b34c1e1b5.jpg