Swannee's Pre-Approval Thread

CT 1977

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work with the teeth, you could just match up the two center teeth, one is trimmed out a little more than the other ;) jIXMP1A.thumb.jpg.4f46b6e9f89461f29555225f5bd1ed7a.jpg

yeah, thanks Glen. I saw that too but wanted to wait to see if was as obvious to others as it was to me. I'll get'em matched up.

• Like 1

Below is a photo of Cali_Nole's (Paul) paint job on vocoder...what are some of the technique's everyone is using to keep the lines clean and uniform?

gqUEsX0.jpg

Hey trooper,

Here’s how I paint my vocoders (skip to around 8mins);

That brush in the video is excellent for vocoders. Known as a “filbert” brush, I believe.

Since this video, I now paint the grey for traps and tears first, then paint the black pinstripe, FYI. :-)

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Hey trooper,

Here’s how I paint my vocoders (skip to around 8mins);

That brush in the video is excellent for vocoders. Known as a “filbert” brush, I believe.

Since this video, I now paint the grey for traps and tears first, then paint the black pinstripe, FYI. :-)

hey Dan, I've seen your video's around and this video is great...just what I needed. Thanks so much for sharing. I just bought a couple of sets of brushes and I'll have to make sure I have one of those filbert brushes. 

One more question, on the "induction filters" (not sure if that's the correct term) I've seen them completely black or with the white rim like you have. Is that a personal preference or is it ANH design?

Hiya,

No worries. Happy to help. :-)

I think most of us call them Hovi-tips or mic tips. ANH stunt helmets tended to have a white rim. In my view, it appears that the original hovi-tips for the movie were white (or close to white) parts that were then painted black on the outside. Hence the inside and rim being white on many.

Here’s some examples;

69560badd27d98c804ace94bae78ca93.jpg

ff2c21a486c6afaaeb10de44efabd069.jpg

6438aa54fd23624963cd1d8fd9915282.jpg

Personally, I like them to look quite natural, so I avoid painting the rim white. I prefer to have a white product, paint the outside black, and weather the rim if required. :-)

(Discussed here at around 7:40

)

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hiya,

No worries. Happy to help. :-)

I think most of us call them Hovi-tips or mic tips. ANH stunt helmets tended to have a white rim. In my view, it appears that the original hovi-tips for the movie were white (or close to white) parts that were then painted black on the outside. Hence the inside and rim being white on many.

Here’s some examples;

69560badd27d98c804ace94bae78ca93.jpg

ff2c21a486c6afaaeb10de44efabd069.jpg

6438aa54fd23624963cd1d8fd9915282.jpg

Personally, I like them to look quite natural, so I avoid painting the rim white. I prefer to have a white product, paint the outside black, and weather the rim if required. :-)

(Discussed here at around 7:40

)

good stuff, Dan! I'll go that route too, just to stay closer to the original. Thanks again, especially for taking the time to do the videos.

21 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

[...] paint job on vocoder...what are some of the technique's everyone is using to keep the lines clean and uniform?

Here are the techniques I used in my build. First, drawing and vocoder painting practice:

Then vocoder height re-adjustment. You may also find this particular post helpful for other aspects of your ATA helmet build, as I have the same kit.

Finally, my actual painting of the vocoder (as well as other helmet work).

Hopefully this is helpful to you, Bill! Note that the photos in this portion (page #5) of my build are quite large, so the post might take a little time to load, depending on your internet speed. I've since compressed my images for all posts beginning on page #6 of my build thread.

The hovi tips were indeed white inside and out and painted black outside, it is believed the white rims are because of wear and tear, looking at some references you can see they are not a consistent fully painted rim.

streethelmets1.jpg.30fd7d58ea6ab28ff1becae674024531.jpgoriginal-stunt-stormtrooper-helmet.jpg.36cdbd9e664e716cc271f8c5251801b0.jpgLFL_Storm_Stunt01.thumb.jpg.84e494d0d3442ebfca46984444d60d27.jpgDaveMANH08.jpg.1c690d49f58d2161aa4142209df8f575.jpgtwo_storms01.jpg.0a05bc77310c255805bd66d57b5f82f7.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2021 at 6:35 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

Here are the techniques I used in my build. First, drawing and vocoder painting practice:

Then vocoder height re-adjustment. You may also find this particular post helpful for other aspects of your ATA helmet build, as I have the same kit.

Finally, my actual painting of the vocoder (as well as other helmet work).

Hopefully this is helpful to you, Bill! Note that the photos in this portion (page #5) of my build are quite large, so the post might take a little time to load, depending on your internet speed. I've since compressed my images for all posts beginning on page #6 of my build thread.

Thanks, Caleb. That's all really good information.

• Like 1

I've been a bit busy with home projects now that the weather permits so my armor progress has been slow. Today I cut the lenses, frown screen and painted the inside. Below are some pre-paint shots of how my lense holding shaped up. 

r1umoD7.jpg

Jo7TKFF.jpg

VOVJsTD.jpg

I just made patterns as I've seen other troopers do to cut the lenses and frown screen. For the screen, I built a deck and screened in a section and used a tight weave screen called "no-see-ums" screen. I made three pieces and will attach them with the welding paste I used on the lense attachments.

0yNJhw4.jpg

D0wv4Pk.jpg

qyEmfs8.jpg

Not sure what that brown spot is on the right lense. Looks like one of my guitar picks got in there somehow.

VJbkYfS.jpg

EkvBnXi.jpg

B5eZbdP.jpg

G5h1svB.jpg

I'm painting now with Plastidip, presently on the second coat of 4. So far, the first coat looks pretty good. 

nYq6KhI.jpg

09JR1js.jpg

the sand in there was recommended to help with anti-slip and improved adherence. It was to go on after the first coat while it is still wet.

• Like 1

These are the final products after four coats. 

ZydDduL.jpg

I'jafY3GQ.jpg

I'll let it dry for 24 hours, maybe more just to be sure then take the  tape and plastic off. By the way, I used standard painting/masking tape and garbage bags. I read suggestions to use double thickness plastic just to be sure so I did. I'll post the photos of what it looks like once the protection is removed without any corrections on spillage so we can all see what happens.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

The hovi tips were indeed white inside and out and painted black outside, it is believed the white rims are because of wear and tear, looking at some references you can see they are not a consistent fully painted rim.

streethelmets1.jpg.30fd7d58ea6ab28ff1becae674024531.jpgoriginal-stunt-stormtrooper-helmet.jpg.36cdbd9e664e716cc271f8c5251801b0.jpgLFL_Storm_Stunt01.thumb.jpg.84e494d0d3442ebfca46984444d60d27.jpgDaveMANH08.jpg.1c690d49f58d2161aa4142209df8f575.jpgtwo_storms01.jpg.0a05bc77310c255805bd66d57b5f82f7.jpg

Hey Glen, I've made some posts of some new work I've done on my bucket but they are being listed in the "New Posts" listing...anything you can see that I'm doing wrong?

5 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Hey Glen, I've made some posts of some new work I've done on my bucket but they are being listed in the "New Posts" listing...anything you can see that I'm doing wrong?

Everything is looking good.

Not sure why it's not coming up in new posts, perhaps because it is your own post, it's coming up when I check all activity

On 6/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Everything is looking good.

Not sure why it's not coming up in new posts, perhaps because it is your own post, it's coming up when I check all activity

ok, thanks! I figured it was probably operator error.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get my bucket together with lenses in and hovi tips. I was also able to get some padding in but I'm not sure I'm going to leave them this way, add to them or switch to a different system. Below are photos of the final version for today. Next session is working on the ears and I'm thinking I may end up having to use the second pair. 

I'm going to start looking for fans and microphone/speaker systems so any tips or leads would be greatly appreciated.

ykqYRyE.jpg

szNNgFJ.jpg

hm2FnTZ.jpg

mBTd6KV.jpg

KQ3QZq4.jpg

I'm open to any tips or critiques. I can say I got really good at drilling out rivets....until I got it where I wanted it. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Just caught up with your build, and love how thorough you're being with both your build and your posts.

And if it takes a year to complete, well, thats cool too. Its not a race, and it's as much about the journey :duim:

Don't think I've seen anyone mention this (apologies if I've missed it), but have you been checking the EIB and Centurion checklists?

If not I definitely recommend that you do. If you build with these checklists in mind from the start then you'll find achieving the higher levels much easier to achieve with minimal, possibly even no modification.

EIB (Level 2) - https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/18-fisd-expert-infantryman-badge-eib-requirements/

Centurion (Level 3) - https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/140-fisd-centurion-requirements/

As for fans, microphones and speakers. There's several alternatives around, but here's one set of options to get you started

http://www.tk10116.com/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 3:33 PM, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Just caught up with your build, and love how thorough you're being with both your build and your posts.

And if it takes a year to complete, well, thats cool too. Its not a race, and it's as much about the journey :duim:

Don't think I've seen anyone mention this (apologies if I've missed it), but have you been checking the EIB and Centurion checklists?

If not I definitely recommend that you do. If you build with these checklists in mind from the start then you'll find achieving the higher levels much easier to achieve with minimal, possibly even no modification.

EIB (Level 2) - https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/18-fisd-expert-infantryman-badge-eib-requirements/

Centurion (Level 3) - https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/140-fisd-centurion-requirements/

As for fans, microphones and speakers. There's several alternatives around, but here's one set of options to get you started

http://www.tk10116.com/

Hi Richard,

I just saw your post...thanks and I will definitely check that out. I've been busy lately with "life" stuff and just now getting back into it. I'll be posting some photos of my bucket paint job so please feel free to make recommendations and suggestions.

• Like 1

I just went to Imgur to convert my photos but apparently they've changed their website and I have no idea how to convert my photos to post here...can anyone out there help trooper out?
I find the easiest way to post pics here is using tapatalk (if you're posting from your phone).

Install the app, then add pics to your post one at a time to upload at highest res possible. If you upload two or more at once it reduces the resolution.

I figured it out!! Below are images from my start of painting my bucket. I'm using masking tape for straighter lines on the vents, as you can see.

LIjoBra.jpg

Ncoj4Cu.jpg

03IxsLD.jpg

g1jnSws.jpg

I plan on using a second coat then letting it dry completely. I had the idea of scoring the paint along tape prior to pulling it off so it will be less likely to pull some of the paint. Hopefully this coming weekend but we'll see what life has to say about that.

• Like 3