WTF TK ANH Stunt Build thread - newbie needs help

cnsf

On 1/19/2022 at 8:20 AM, cnsf said:

@Deployment Officer Team @justjoseph63 Would these pass for Centurion or do I need to redo them again? Anything I can fix vs a full redo?  Thanks.

Hi Cory, 

You have done a really really great effort with this "painting job" and I think you're almost in the right point. As you can see bellow, I marked with yellow arrows the buttons  with a great finish. If you can achieve something similar with the remaining ones  you will be ready brother.

I'm not the paint expert but some tip I have seen here and by browsing the web is to sand a bit the bumpy surface with a 600 grit then 1000 or 1200 grit.  May be you can make a test with one button first little by little to avoid removing the paint .

rd9vK8s.jpg

Keep it up Trooper ! :salute:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Cory, 

You have done a really really great effort with this "painting job" and I think you're almost in the right point. As you can see bellow, I marked with yellow arrows the buttons  with a great finish. If you can achieve something similar with the remaining ones  you will be ready brother.

I'm not the paint expert but some tip I have seen here and by browsing the web is to sand a bit the bumpy surface with a 600 grit then 1000 or 1200 grit.  May be you can make a test with one button first little by little to avoid removing the paint .

rd9vK8s.jpg

Thank you!  I'm determined....  :-)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cnsf said:

Thank you!  I'm determined....  :-)

As I mentioned previously just look at the paint consistency, it have thickened over time an may need a little thinning. I have found I've had to add 2 coats at times, also make sure your first coat is completely dry before adding another coat, 24 hours is normally enough in warm weather. 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:59 PM, TKSpartan said:

Hi Cory, 

Better?  I tried sanding and touching up the areas that were oversanded and showed white. Still shooting for Centurion... :-)

Y3DXpTY.jpg

MUCH better, Cory.  Still a bit rough, but I wouldn't have an issue passing these at Level 3.  Nice work!!  :duim:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my new tough situation.  I realized a year after I got my armor that the shoulder bells weren't included (by accident).  I just got a new pair from Walt and the color abs he uses is different from the color he used when making my armor.  Any thoughts on whether this is OK or other ideas on what I could do?

0T3w9lL.jpg

And here is a picture of my finished ab buttons on the armor.  Th

On 1/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, TKSpartan said:

Great work Cory.  Much better. :duim:

And here is a picture of my finished ab buttons on the armor.  Thank you!!!

6J5aQUT.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cnsf said:

Here is my new tough situation.  I realized a year after I got my armor that the shoulder bells weren't included (by accident).  I just got a new pair from Walt and the color abs he uses is different from the color he used when making my armor.  Any thoughts on whether this is OK or other ideas on what I could do?

0T3w9lL.jpg

Unfortunately this can happen with many armor makers, they are bound by what they are supplied, this issue I've seen with personally with RS and ATA.

For me the color difference is quite considerable, ultimately it would be your GML (garrison membership liaison) who  would make the final say on your approval, may be worth reaching out the him/her and asking their thoughts.

If you are close to other troopers you could also check color differences with other armor suppliers, but again there could be a risk of the color changing if you order replacements from another supplier. 

A last resort could be to have some paint color matched to the old armor, I have managed to get this close once but it was a lot of trial and error mixing paint as the color will change once dried. Automotive paint supplier may be able to match, but as I say a last resort. 

14 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Unfortunately this can happen with many armor makers, they are bound by what they are supplied, this issue I've seen with personally with RS and ATA.

For me the color difference is quite considerable, ultimately it would be your GML (garrison membership liaison) who  would make the final say on your approval, may be worth reaching out the him/her and asking their thoughts.

If you are close to other troopers you could also check color differences with other armor suppliers, but again there could be a risk of the color changing if you order replacements from another supplier. 

A last resort could be to have some paint color matched to the old armor, I have managed to get this close once but it was a lot of trial and error mixing paint as the color will change once dried. Automotive paint supplier may be able to match, but as I say a last resort. 

Thanks!  One person suggested I bathe them in strong tea.  I may try this on some spare parts with the same color abs (like the buttons I reordered).

Who would be good suppliers for shoulder bells?

Hey Cory. So it sucks that happened with your colors. Unfortunately putting on my ECG GML hat here I would have to say I would not approve that much of a color difference. I have never heard of the tea trick. Give it a shot. What’s the worse that can happen?  Other try another vendor like MTK or AP?  I used To have a MTK kit and I had a troopermaster helmet. The colors were very similar. You could always try TM too. Ask who has more of a cream white color as opposed to bright white. 

I would do the opposite of the tea staining and whiten your other parts with ArmorWhite from Trooperbay.com. I have had good luck with it and it will make the more cream parts brighter white and better match the new parts.

• 3 months later...

OK, so I got my shoulder bells paint matched by an auto body shop and they came out great!

I really need in-person help to get started. I’m happy to pay someone for their time. Any suggestions? I’m in the Westchester area outside NYC. 

hace 55 minutos, cnsf dijo:

OK, so I got my shoulder bells paint matched by an auto body shop and they came out great!

Great!!!:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: .

Could you post some pictures to see the result? 

Thanks Cory!!! :duim:

1 hour ago, cnsf said:

I really need in-person help to get started. I’m happy to pay someone for their time. Any suggestions? I’m in the Westchester area outside NYC. 

Have you reached out to your local garrison ,  you can find them here https://www.501st.com/maps/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 8:05 AM, Chemi said:

Great!!!:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: .

Could you post some pictures to see the result? 

Thanks Cory!!! :duim:

TWiuHJM.jpg

I flipped one of the bells so you can get the original color for reference.

Edited by cnsf
  • Like 1