WTF TK ANH Stunt Build thread - newbie needs help

cnsf

Just check your end cap, the gap between that and the panel and also the length of the panel as it looks a little long and your gaps are a little small

tf.thumb.png.28fc4a9656ecc88d1ca902bdc6b21972.png

• Like 1

Looks great, Cory!  Can you post up a shot of the front, with the back of the clip held vertically (as if it were attached to your belt)?

M5xdN4W.jpg

• Like 2

Rotating the clips to the right will allow more of the O to be seen from the back as you can see in the image Joseph posted

M5xdN4W.jpg

• Like 1

looks good, i think you can leave a bit more plastic in the cod . here some references:

kKQ5KdK.jpg?1

1amRa9Y.jpg   80llOaF.jpg

3m5m8Ec.jpg   daKFEhi.jpg?1

M9VNhUZ.jpg

Also  you can check this thread about Return Edges when trimming.  and into the Gallery section you can see several reference images that can be so useful. 

:salute:

• Like 1

Not too bad on the paint, Cory.  Using a small "filbert" style brush will allow you to sharpen up the edges.  ;)  xyJt9oh.jpg?2

As for the return edges, the link David posted will go into more details.  Some folks like em', and you certainly won't get dinged at any level of approval, but with some exceptions they weren't really present in most areas of screen used armor.  

One thing you want to be careful with (return edges or not) is sharp corners.  Always do a slightly rounded corner as seen in the first photo.  If you make a sharp corner, that is where you can will get splitting eventually.  This is also important on the posterior (butt) plate corners.

When cutting out the buttons/button plates, I highly suggest referring to the diagrams below.  Leave a bit (1/8 to 1/4 ") around the large plate and don't round-out the corners All of the return edge should be removed from the button covers/small 4 button plate.  Hope this helps!

Shown right side up

euxnKEC.jpg          SdGMMPp.jpg      QmJtXPk.jpg

Examples of screen used armor                                                                    

LSuei4K.jpg?1   JViLwBX.jpg?1        BwQbnqP.jpg?3  tpfEsMK.jpg?2

• Like 2

@justjoseph63Thank you!  I tried the filbert brush and it was worse - I'm not a great painter.  I did mine with the toothpick technique (which still wasn't great).  I used trooperbay templates and the paint bled through. My only other thought was to use masking tape and exacto a circle, but don't have a great circle template I could use. Are my drawn lines to cut better for the ab panel?

A hole punch is great for make button templates. I find if you give a thin coat of white first it will fill any bleed areas in the tape.

I used these tiny sponge tips from testors to paint my buttons on my Walt's ab buttons. If your still having trouble, might wanna give these a try. With these I kinda just drew them on. Also, I had the habit of not mixing my paints very well before use. Really mixing the paint for a few minutes really helps with getting a nice coat. 3c3e8226360470a96065ec2da1a23b5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord_Potato said:

I used these tiny sponge tips from testors to paint my buttons on my Walt's ab buttons. If your still having trouble, might wanna give these a try. With these I kinda just drew them on. Also, I had the habit of not mixing my paints very well before use. Really mixing the paint for a few minutes really helps with getting a nice coat. 

WOW.. excellent idea, Jonathan!!  I have added this item to my "Supply List" thread.  Thanks!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cnsf said:

How big a hole punch?

I have a selection of different sizes, some buttons are differently sized.

These are a little rough, looks like you did two coats, but appears the paint is quite thick, it will wrinkle if you put it on too thick, a few thin coats are best.

mATBI7x.jpg

comparison

gallery_12157_16_28564.jpgab buttons.jpg

• Like 1

You are very close, Cory!  For Basic they should pass, but we would ask that you tighten them up a bit since you are aiming for EI and then Centurion.  Not sure if it's the photos, but there seems to be specks of something in many places on the button plates and other parts of the ab plate.  

To clean up the areas shown below, this is what I would suggest:

Use some cotton swabs lightly dipped in mineral spirits (I use the odorless type) to carefully remove any residual paint.  Once the paint is removed, use dry swabs to remove any spirits from the surfaces and dry them thoroughly with paper towels.  Don't let the spirits dry on the ABS or keep them on too long or it may damage the surface

DTfyOqq.jpg ThOtFMs.jpg   

As Glen mentioned, the paint looks really thick in some areas.  It would be a pain in the butt-plate, but removing it all and starting from scratch using a template like this or making your own may be the way to go.  If you do, here is a tip:  After pressing the template(s) firmly down, them hit them with a VERY light coat of white paint.  Let that dry and then hit them with a medium coat of the blue (not too heavy).. just enough to be opaque.  Doing it that way, the white paint seals the edges so the blue won't bleed underneath, giving you clean, crisp lines.

I have a tutorial here if it helps.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 7:06 AM, justjoseph63 said:

You are very close, Cory!  For Basic they should pass, but we would ask that you tighten them up a bit since you are aiming for EI and then Centurion.  Not sure if it's the photos, but there seems to be specks of something in many places on the button plates and other parts of the ab plate.  

To clean up the areas shown below, this is what I would suggest:

Use some cotton swabs lightly dipped in mineral spirits (I use the odorless type) to carefully remove any residual paint.  Once the paint is removed, use dry swabs to remove any spirits from the surfaces and dry them thoroughly with paper towels.  Don't let the spirits dry on the ABS or keep them on too long or it may damage the surface

DTfyOqq.jpg ThOtFMs.jpg   

As Glen mentioned, the paint looks really thick in some areas.  It would be a pain in the butt-plate, but removing it all and starting from scratch using a template like this or making your own may be the way to go.  If you do, here is a tip:  After pressing the template(s) firmly down, them hit them with a VERY light coat of white paint.  Let that dry and then hit them with a medium coat of the blue (not too heavy).. just enough to be opaque.  Doing it that way, the white paint seals the edges so the blue won't bleed underneath, giving you clean, crisp lines.

I have a tutorial here if it helps.

Thanks Joseph!!!  I actually tried that exact template first and the paint all bled through.  The template wouldn't adhere properly despite having pressed it down a ton. Do you have an amazon link to mineral spirits that you use? I am new to the painting side of it (if you couldn't tell by my results). I'd prefer to try again from a blank piece.

3 hours ago, cnsf said:

Thanks Joseph!!!  I actually tried that exact template first and the paint all bled through. 

Painting white first when using templates will fill and small gaps or bleed areas ;) 

• Like 1