Airbrush question

I am gathering tools and supplies for when my ANH Stunt armor kit arrives. I'll be shooting for Centurion. My painting skills aren't exactly the best and I want it to look as good as possible. My question is this. The regular level build requires the tube stripes to be "hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted". I've seen some photo's of helmets where the tube stripes were airbrushed and they look amazing. Is airbrushing an option for Centurion level? I want to avoid decals.

I would assume this is acceptable but I'd rather not make any assumptions. I appreciate any guidance! 

Using an airbrush would be fine but you would need to make templates so the lines look hand painted. A trick with black lines is to go over your straight lines with a permanent marker and making them look hand painted. To give you and idea of what you are aiming for here is a look at Dave M hand painted decals. 

dave.png.f8655b7ab2fb7038bf16befc536e2225.png

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Using an airbrush would be fine but you would need to make templates so the lines look hand painted. A trick with black lines is to go over your straight lines with a permanent marker and making them look hand painted. To give you and idea of what you are aiming for here is a look at Dave M hand painted decals. 

dave.png.f8655b7ab2fb7038bf16befc536e2225.png

Great, thank you for the help!

• Like 1

Also forgot to mention but whether hand painting or air brushing if you use a coat of white first it will help fill any gaps in the templates so when you paint the blue it shouldn't run into any gaps ;) 

• Like 3

You should be fine. Basically "hand painting" could be re-worded as "no decals".  Trooperbay used to sell decals that looked hand-painted which are fine for EI, but not Centurion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

You should be fine. Basically "hand painting" could be re-worded as "no decals".  Trooperbay used to sell decals that looked hand-painted which are fine for EI, but not Centurion.

Perfect. I probably should have asked if airbrushing was considered the same as hand painting or if the brush strokes were necessary.