Is RS right for me?

TrickyT81

Hi all,

Im doing my planning and research for my armour for my 501st membership. My mindset is to aim for Centurian level off the bat rather than just aiming for Basic. From the research I’ve done so far, I feel that RS would be best for me. I’ve outlined my attributes below so you have an idea of my circumstances.

1. I’m 5’8” with a slim build. As I understand it, RS’ armour has direct lineage to the original moulds (?) which works well for my build and height. 

2. As a beginner, and in general, I don’t trust myself to build the suit on my own. I’m not big on DIY and would rather place the build in the hands of experts with all the right tools. This being said, I wouldn’t have a problem with modifying a suit built for me, it’s the doing it from scratch aspect that I don’t want really. 

Any suggestions or considerations on the above with pros and cons would be great. 

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tim

Hard to say of any cons with RS, obviously you could find people who had positive and negative experiences as with anything. The biggest thing to consider with RS at the moment, and with a commission build in general is time and patience - you’ll need both.

I’m not sure if you’re aware but RS had a fire in their studio recently. No one was hurt thankfully and I think their moulds are safe but obviously it’ll be a while before they start up production and building again as their vac forming machine was damaged. Once they do start up, I imagine things will be rather hectic for them dealing with fulfilling outstanding orders as well as new ones. Ordinarily I think they advise 4-6 weeks for commission builds but I could be wrong. With the fire though, who knows? Could be double or triple that.

As far as fit, you should be fine. As long as you understand that even with commission builds they usually require adjustments which it sounds like you do understand that so no worries there.

I’m sure anyone will tell you that RS is top notch kit and the preferred supplier for a lot of 501 members.

I would also say that despite what you say about not wanting to build it from scratch, you’d be surprised how straight forward and super enjoyable it is. You’ll find many examples of people who started their builds with no DIY experience or proficiency and ended up getting cleared with no problems. Can I ask what’s putting you off doing a build? You could cut down on wait time and cost if you went for this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Short,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I’m aware that RS had a fire (glad they’re all safe). In fact, I’ve ordered ANH hero helmet from them last week before it happened so I’ll have a wait on my hands. 

I would imagine this will seriously impact them and hadn’t considered the already lengthy wait time, so thanks for pointing that out. 

I’d love to have the confidence to build my own as I can clearly see it’s part of the fun. The reason for my reluctance though is my track history with building things. I’m prone to mistakes and I don’t feel I have the ability to adequately repair a piece correctly if something went wrong. I really want this to be the best it can be so would rather put it in the trusted hands of experts if that makes sense.

I’m willing to keep an open mind though so given I’ll be waiting a while, I’ll do some research on building myself. Any recommended threads?

Tim

All of them to be honest! I would head into the armoury>imperial>stormtrooper/sand trooper and just start at the top. Read any WIP marked as a TK *cleared*.

You’ll get a good idea of common difficulties and you’ll run into plenty of people who had the same level of trepidation as you.

Hi guys,

After watching countless number of videos on how to build stormtrooper armour, in particular those on RS’ YouTube channel, I’ve decided I’m going to go for it. I’m going to build my own. 

The research I’ve done shows I’ll have all the help and support I need right here on FISD. my helmet is already ordered and will already be built, the rest is up to me (scary and exciting). 

I’m going to start a build thread. Am I better of doing this for each separate section or a general one for the whole build?

Thanks,

Tim

Well done Tim! In my opinion, it makes the whole thing a lot more exciting.

You’d just have one WIP thread for the whole process with a title something like “Tim’s RS ANH stunt build WIP” and once you start posting in there, an armourer will come along to help you. It’s entirely up to you how frequently you post but it’s a good idea to post lots of photos and ask questions whenever you’re unsure of something. Good luck and congratulations for taking a bold and brave step!