Thigh questions

I've hit a bit of a roadblock with my thigh fitting. I have an ATA TK set, and after trimming the return edges on the inside and leaving extra material for the cover strips in the back, it still seems like I don't have enough space. Either I need to add a shim or I have them placed too high. Should the bottom of the thigh be placed right at the knee or a bit above? It's a bit hard to tell from reference pics because the knee itself is covered by ammo or sniper plate.

2 hours ago, AnSkeleton said:

Should the bottom of the thigh be placed right at the knee or a bit above? It's a bit hard to tell from reference pics because the knee itself is covered by ammo or sniper plate.

A bit above is usual, really depends on your height, I'm 5'11", some photos would help 

OII02jh.jpg

Definitely don't add mobility cuts unless you have fitted all of your armor, I've seen these cut out too many times on troopers that didn't need them and they end up with huge gaps between the back of their knees

Definitely don't add mobility cuts unless you have fitted all of your armor, I've seen these cut out too many times on troopers that didn't need them and they end up with huge gaps between the back of their knees

Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting to make mobility cuts. Just that you can see the thigh placement in those shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Short4ATrooper said:

Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting to make mobility cuts. Just that you can see the thigh placement in those shots.

Not all troopers in ANH had them ;) 

I'm on the shorter side, just barely 5'9" with shoes. Most likely gonna need the cuts either way. Apparently I have thick thighs, but I might be able to get away without a shim. I have the front of one thigh gluing since yesterday. once I'm off work I'll take some pics so I can get a better idea.

4 hours ago, AnSkeleton said:

I'm on the shorter side, just barely 5'9" with shoes. Most likely gonna need the cuts either way. Apparently I have thick thighs, but I might be able to get away without a shim. I have the front of one thigh gluing since yesterday. once I'm off work I'll take some pics so I can get a better idea.

Could you post some images of your issue, most of us use Imgur a free image host, once your pictures are uploaded you just copy the "direct link" to each image straight into your post 

So I got my undersuit and now that the front is dried, it's not as big of a gap as I thought. For a comfortable fit, there was a small gap in the back. Do I need to shim or can I just make that strip an extra 1/4 inch or so? (Dont worry, I'm going to trim the top of that front strip.)

xrsqZ5C.jpg

3yGKEak.jpg

Good stuff one other thing I noticed with the front of your thigh, you seem to have a lot of that front ridge left either side of the cover strip. Ideally, you want that ridge to be around 22mm wide - just wide enough to accommodate the 20mm cover strip. A general measurement most people use is have around 11mm from the ridge to the seam (red line) on each side whereas you currently seem to have around 20mm on each side.

64d9e0463f6b30bf13e9555b39486a60.jpg

See here how you can just see the ridge under the cover strip?

5a2c919239261bb4dce04d701cba2121.jpg

Looks better. Still too wide in my opinion but I’m not sure if it’ll affect clearance. Whenever I’ve seen someone need more room in the thighs, they’ve shimmed the back.

The problem is, unless you do the same for the fronts of all the other limbs it’ll look odd. As I say though, not sure if it’s an issue or not. Best to check with an armourer before continuing.

8 minutes ago, AnSkeleton said:

https://i.imgur.com/c10id1R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xbche0J.jpg

I'm really having trouble here. I have a huge gap in the back of the left thigh and I havent even trimmed the back of the left shin, and they just barely touch. What do I need to do here?

Try using the "direct link" to your image

c10id1R.jpg

xbche0J.jpg

Looks like you will need larger cover strips on the rear. BUT you will need to add more plastic to the back of the thighs before you can add cover strips. A couple of threads which may help

How to make ABS paste

That is a question for your GML (garrison membership liaison) some will allow large cover strips some will not so I would definitely contact him/her and discuss.

I have seen some approved

If they do not allow you would have to add some plastic to the sides, with ATA having the raised ridges it is a little more difficult, you would need to cut next to the raised area, then add a triangle of plastic, fill joins with ABS paste, sand and polish (paint if needed)

An example:

c10id1R.thumb.jpg.dac07e8ec10c03254d28640be6eb83e3.jpg

Example thread here

Other makes don't have the raised areas like ATA so they are easier to add shims to

• Like 1