EVA foam stormtrooper armor build

7 hours ago, Cheeseballs said:

So with May the Fourth just around the corner, I plan on trooping outside of my parents restaurant. Wish me luck guys 

Good luck, hope you have a great outing

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being a month late, I was kinda procrastinating on uploading it. 

It was pretty fun walking around, everyone wanted pictures :D. I tried staying in character as often as possible, and even stopped a car and asked if they had seen a golden protocol droid and a blue astromech :laugh1:

I did learn a few things about the suit:

It wasn't as uncomfortable as i thought it would be. maybe cause it's foam and not plastic like all of your guys' armor.

It's HOT. when I was walking inside I was boiling, however it was a breezy day outside, so i was fine while outside.

after a few hours out there walking around, I was pooped. luckily I'm made of squishy flexible foam, so I could sit down (sorta) and take a rest. I was a bit sore the next day.

Its annoyingly loud. the plastidip coated surfaces rubbing together as I walked made a loud squeaky sound, and it sounds very dumb. we all know stormtroopers make a "clack clack clack" not a"squeak squeak squeak" when they walk :lol:

I'm thinking of painting the suit with plain old gloss white spray paint to reduce the squeaks and make the texture less rubbery. 

every now and then one of the shins would ride up on the boots and there would be a gap above the boots and the shin would be all twisted. so I might put some velcro on the boot and inside of the shin to remedy this.

I also noticed That some plastidip on the caulk seams on the chest started peeling. I'm not too worried about it, I'll probably just clean that up before re painting with the gloss white spray paint.

I'm also contemplating making a new foam helmet or finishing that paper/pepakura one just for the heck of it, but I'm not sure yet. Do y'all think I should? If so, which option seems ideal?

Edited by Cheeseballs
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i decided to upgrade my rubies e-11 with some more greeblies to make it more accurate. i made them out of polystyene, toothpicks and random stuff. im planning on sanding down the T-tracks some more. it did have the power cylinders, but they were 3d printed and kept breaking. Im getting new ones soon.

kH8o5Eo.jpgVjEWZg9.jpgS6HcSca.jpgtjhGKM0.jpgDSZ35bD.jpgaDN0lVq.jpgWTIBzZU.jpg

im gonna repaint it after sanding the t-tracks more.

• Like 1

I would advise VERY strongly against walking around in public with your blaster, outside of sanctioned events where your Star Wars costume has more context. Unfortunately in this day and age, we have had several occurrences of troopers being detained by law enforcement, or even SWAT, over having a 'gun' pointed at folks in public, and we don't need the bad press. Save it for the cons - otherwise, looking good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

I would advise VERY strongly against walking around in public with your blaster, outside of sanctioned events where your Star Wars costume has more context. Unfortunately in this day and age, we have had several occurrences of troopers being detained by law enforcement, or even SWAT, over having a 'gun' pointed at folks in public, and we don't need the bad press. Save it for the cons - otherwise, looking good.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

added a clip detail

mLQooC5.jpgXXlTMCF.jpg

a safety switch

e2ZNX2O.jpg

the bolt stripe

UYLPfo6.jpg

sanded down the t-tracks

Xwwo8Hg.jpgxUl9GEG.jpg

i sanded right through the top track, so I gotta fill that with bondo now.

W4MSZS1.jpg

and the new resin power cylinders came in

5lLzzIE.jpg

it's much more sturdy and durable than the previous 3d-printed one I had.

Edited by Cheeseballs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It’s honestly awesome seeing what you’ve done with eva foam! One of the things that really stuck out to me was the fact that all the skills you learned from foamsmithing really does apply to working with hard kits as well! I’m still terrible at using bondo and sanding lol.

Not only that, but you strive for accuracy as well! This is what the 501st is all about and I hope to see you get a plastic kit some day, but no rush! I am super glad that you are sharing your journey with us here!

I look forward to your future posts!

• Like 4

On 8/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, TheDecisiveRaindrop said:

It’s honestly awesome seeing what you’ve done with eva foam! One of the things that really stuck out to me was the fact that all the skills you learned from foamsmithing really does apply to working with hard kits as well! I’m still terrible at using bondo and sanding lol.

Not only that, but you strive for accuracy as well! This is what the 501st is all about and I hope to see you get a plastic kit some day, but no rush! I am super glad that you are sharing your journey with us here!

I look forward to your future posts!

Thanks a ton for the kind words! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheeseballs said:

first coat of flat black on the blaster. i masked of the silver rivets and screws i added so they would show through

rxteW2D.jpg

wghXq82.jpg

Something to keep in mind for further accuracy is that the scope is made of brass, with the handle being plastic.

That being said, it only really matters if you were planning on weathering your blaster at all. With the scope, learning to drybrush can allow you to achieve some realistic details.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Handle was a little sticky, so I sanded it down and repainted it and it was good.

1RNz8oh.jpg

Masked off the bolt and painted it silver

QVZ9SRk.jpg0rNm57P.jpg

Masked off the t-tracks, scope, back cap and handle, then painted them semi-gloss black.

kcXfNpa.jpgpDA2qzc.jpglP501Py.jpgUqW9QOA.jpg

Then it was unmasked, and I glued on the power cylinders, and here's it now.

yEi0av9.jpgInwFFYo.jpg

I'm currently debating on whether i should weather it lightly and make some sort of lenses for the scope. I think it's looking pretty good right now though, and I like it.

Edited by Cheeseballs
typo cause I can't type
  • Like 1

Wow! You got that together pretty quick lol. Missing some metal paint on the handle by where the selector switch is, not that anyone would notice.

image.jpeg.15068ea866a32ba9f0c14a3b3f982ebb.jpeg

If you do decide to weather it, be careful around the T tracks and handle. Those shouldn’t have “metal” showing.

Edited by TheDecisiveRaindrop
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy day after Halloween everyone.

I replaced the window tint on the helmet cause I had ripped off the previous tint before the silicone spray. And I added a nylon strap under the shoulders to keep them in position better. Before the shoulders liked to fall towards the back.

FWrsqal.jpg

here’s me and my sis on Halloween. Used a rebel pilot helmet as a candy bucket haha. And just stuffed an unmodified hasbro blaster in the holster.

D0bTCqm.jpgJuA2h4z.jpgrI7aepi.jpg

Edited by Cheeseballs
  • Like 3

Hi there,
First of all , amazing build you have achieved. I too started off building a whole TK suit out of Eva foam. Had the same experiences as you with plastidip paint too. The experience I gained led me to take the plunge and buy a vac formed 1.5mm abs kit and build it myself. I found all the previous skills learned actually made the abs kit build easier and built it in far less time than the Eva foam version. Can’t recommend it enough. You will also be able to join the 501st ranks and troop with your local squad or garrison. But until then enjoy what you’ve achieved. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I’ve decided to mod my BS stormtrooper helmet for more wearability so my glasses will fit inside 

gjOpCCL.jpg
sY0z5gC.jpg

9xcuWWw.jpg
2sOPowx.jpg

9PUyx0d.jpg

I’ve taken most interior and electronic parts so far. I’m considering making this RO accurate but seems like a lot of work

Edited by Cheeseballs
Typo
  • Like 2