BlueBoxFromSpace ATA ANH Stunt (first build)

BlueBoxFromSpace

Hey guys! I've actually been slowly working on an ATA kit that I got almost a year ago now. I'm currently working on the strapping for the torso and I was just looking for some tips or techniques to making sure everything is lined up and where it should be and fitting right. Specifically for the connections to the abdomen and chest, and the connections to back and the kidney. 

Sounds like you are well on your way, here is a setup a lot of troopers use for the strapping

R63O0di.jpg

For holding up the thighs some just use a belt, I came up with a bracket adjuster for the thighs and over shoulder straps to take some weight of the belt

VRXSylL.jpg

There is also the screen accurate bracket system

b0e26bc0fd98362b66d87b42831e889a.jpg

• Like 1

I will post some pictures very soon. I don't have a whole lot of room to work with though. I've been using that strapping reference photo (great reference btw) and I got the kidney and butt together. I'm just wondering about tips as to how to align like the back and kidney up to make sure when I'm making my snaps that they are the right length and everything is sitting properly.

https://i.imgur.com/h65N6QO.jpg

Edited by BlueBoxFromSpace
Just trying to figure out how to post pics...

Here is your image ;) Make sure you use the "direct link" Your strapping is looking good, nice to see you are using double snaps

h65N6QO.jpg

You should find once on the (if using elastic) the straps will give and help the backplate to sit a little higher and it will also tilt backwards.

TK-RightSide.jpg

This thread has some info

On rare occasions some modifications may be carried out

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my torso so far. I don't have a belt yet. I'm hoping that will close the gaps between the kidney and ab sections. After wearing this around the house for a couple days I feel like I might need lengthen the shoulder connections. The whole back feels like it might need to come down. However I'm not sure how low I can make the back plate. To me it doesn't feel like I can really lower it anymore. Where should the butt plate sit? My butt kind of peeks out of the bottom of it. Thanks in advance for the feedback. I can get different pics if that helps elaborate my questions.

FN2YEQY.jpeg

AoVpqe5.jpg

4lX28SV.jpg

Tw6CRQw.jpg

FhdxLR1.jpg

• Like 1

Belt should definitely help you close the side gap. Bit hard to see howyorpackplaye is sitting at the top with your arms up, you could try slightly tighter strapping, may help close that gap 

• 2 months later...

Haven't posted in a while. Been a little busy with things. I adjusted the shoulder straps. I decided to use velcro on the back side of the straps to make them adjustable until I find the position I like then I'll make a new snap strap that size. I might even double up on the elastic to make it a little more rigid. My shoulder bells seem to want to pull them down a bit. But here is where I'm at so far. The upper body strapping is done for the most part. I need to whip together a garter for my thigh straps next. And also probably finish the shoulder bridges.

bebaf3a5-e6bc-4a04-8588-349d9f5b5e2f.jpg

received_279448107099569.jpg

received_353657859403944.jpg

received_441653657123035.jpg

received_459484045297255.jpg

received_880630505832083.jpg

Gaps are looking very nice, your butt plate appears to be pushing backwards, may need some tighter strapping. I also came up with a V tab system which helps keep them in alignment.

With a heat gun you bend strips of ABS plastic into the shape of a V, only glue one side and the other remains free to allow movement when you bend. Just helps stop the butt plate from pushing back from the back plate.

Q6j9pfd.jpg

qrjihT5.jpg

Gaps are looking very nice, your butt plate appears to be pushing backwards, may need some tighter strapping. I also came up with a V tab system which helps keep them in alignment.

With a heat gun you bend strips of ABS plastic into the shape of a V, only glue one side and the other remains free to allow movement when you bend. Just helps stop the butt plate from pushing back from the back plate.

Q6j9pfd.jpg

qrjihT5.jpg

Yeah I saw those fancy contraptions of yours. Lol. Very cool idea. I was thinking about using them. Although the issue might be that the straps on the sides might be a little too tight and the middle might be too loose. So I'm going to try that first as I don't yet have a heat gun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on the ab buttons now. I had a little board with some 60 grit sand paper glued to it that I used to slowly shave down the plates to the size I needed.

IMLAASD.jpg

I'm making some templates now to do the painting. I was using a 1/2 inch circle but then I noticed the CRL mentions "buttons are approximately 7/16" (11mm) in diameter. " I'm assuming this is referring to the paint?

6dbYT2O.jpg

Yes painted area is slightly smaller than the width of the button, reference:

Note:  For Level 3 the paint does not extend to the bottom of the actual raised button.

LSuei4K.jpg?1   JViLwBX.jpg?1

Yeah that wording still confuses me. I went with the 1/2" diameter circle for the template. I don't know if my buttons are just bigger than the ones used on screen but the 7/16" was way too small. 

IzeasP9.jpg

Even after I removed the tape and cleaned up the paint a little bit it still seemed like the painted area was too small. Also it was still pretty messy.

aKzfxOK.jpg

So I just went back over it by hand without a template and I think it looks pretty good. Not perfect but pretty good?

DSkTkJG.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BlueBoxFromSpace said:

So I just went back over it by hand without a template and I think it looks pretty good. Not perfect but pretty good?

looks good , great work.  :jc_doublethumbup:

I just want to take a minute here to express my appreciation. I started this build over a year ago, right before covid shut everything down. When I have the time to work on it, it's been a great project to help take my mind off all the craziness. I'm really thankful for the support and help everyone here has provided. This is a great community here and I'm really excited to become part of it. (hopefully very soon lol). Thanks again everyone.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlueBoxFromSpace said:

I just want to take a minute here to express my appreciation. I started this build over a year ago, right before covid shut everything down. When I have the time to work on it, it's been a great project to help take my mind off all the craziness. I'm really thankful for the support and help everyone here has provided. This is a great community here and I'm really excited to become part of it. (hopefully very soon lol). Thanks again everyone.

I am glad to hear your words Aaron, and pleased that you continue to work on this project in these crazy times.

Your build is coming along very nicley and I am certain, it wont be long that you become 501st approved.

I also hope that you will strive for our higher levels of accuracy Expert Infantry and then Centurion, you are already showing the hallmarks of determination and a clean and beautiful build so the glory is there for the taking.

Keep up the great work sir.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, Sly11 said:

I am glad to hear your words Aaron, and pleased that you continue to work on this project in these crazy times.

Your build is coming along very nicley and I am certain, it wont be long that you become 501st approved.

I also hope that you will strive for our higher levels of accuracy Expert Infantry and then Centurion, you are already showing the hallmarks of determination and a clean and beautiful build so the glory is there for the taking.

Keep up the great work sir.

I'm definitely going to try to shoot for the higher levels. I printed out the CRL and have been going through it while I'm working on the armor. I don't think it should be too too difficult for me to get that extra level of accuracy. It should at least be fun to attempt.

I've started on the belt. I decided to make my own from scratch following Mark's guide here: HOWTO: A guide to making a canvas belt - Tutorials, Tips and HOWTOs - 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (whitearmor.net) This was actually my first time sewing... so yeah... Here's how it turned out.

DYpBvkG.jpg

As with most of this project... it's a little rough, but I'm pleased overall. I have enough material to make another one but for now I'm sticking with this one. At least until I finish it.

I'm considering running a bead of fabric glue along the edges to stop them from fraying. Thoughts on that?

CGdez96.jpg

I put that snaps in the plastic section. Which I probably should have waited to do because, as you can see, I didn't cut the corners off yet. It shouldn't be too hard to get them off now but it would definitely been a lot easier before. 

Ivcq3RB.jpg

Speaking of those corners...

4qkhn3F.jpg

I noticed in the CRL it says: 

For Level 3, the corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle that meets the outer edge of the cloth belt.

I think I'm either going to have tiny corners or the cloth belt will extend slightly beyond the cuts.

That might be something that gets fixed when I make another belt...