ANH (Stunt) TK build

RageQuit

35 minutes ago, RageQuit said:

I am redoing some of my original strapping. What are these rivets/connectors called?

Split Rivet or Bifurcated Rivet

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Split Rivet or Bifurcated Rivet

Thanks, is the washer just a standard washer with the pressure from the split pin holding it and the elastic strapping together?

2 hours ago, RageQuit said:

Thanks, is the washer just a standard washer with the pressure from the split pin holding it and the elastic strapping together?

Correct, I actually like to use a rectangle piece of plastic first on top of the elastic, with some E6000 glue just to make sure the elastic doesn't pull through but many don't and have no issues.

F2v2moo.jpg.c3c901f66693d41bc109498b3da3e677.jpg

If you use a solder iron to make the holes in the elastic it will strengthen the hole and help to not pull through.

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Correct, I actually like to use a rectangle piece of plastic first on top of the elastic, with some E6000 glue just to make sure the elastic doesn't pull through but many don't and have no issues.

F2v2moo.jpg.c3c901f66693d41bc109498b3da3e677.jpg

If you use a solder iron to make the holes in the elastic it will strengthen the hole and help to not pull through.

Ah thanks - makes sense and the additional plastic on top would reduce the failure points. And yes, I have used a soldering iron in the past to burn holes as well. I appreciate the info, very valuable.

• Like 1

Finished lining the helmet with velcro and have started the electronics fit out.

Have hot glued in some sound dampening rubber over the frown slits, am still getting a small amount of feedback from the speaker hovi-tips.

As luck would have it, we are in Covid lockdown at the moment and I need more sound proofing around the inside of the hove-tips, am assuming the feedback is from there, if not maybe thru the open eyes [still need replacement lens for them] or maybe even under the chin - time will tell.

Still have to install the Sound-Assist Kit, Cooling Fans and Power Supplies, reticulate all cabling and then tidy up.

Helmet-Electronics-01.jpg

Helmet-Electronics-02.jpg

Edited by RageQuit

Forgot to ask for troopers running UKSWrath Trooper Hearing Assist - what speakers do you use.

I found the provided stick on hearing pads not that great, tested some Apple ear-buds which were fantastic, however I am after a helmet mounted speaker system, maybe some earphone cups and speakers hijacked from a stereo system. Open for ideas :)

I use moulded earphones, as they isolate from the fan noise as well giving clear audio, but they weren't cheap. The downside being that if your batteries fail mod troop you're completely deaf.

Try putting some padding between the helmet speakers and the helmet to bring them as close as you can to your ears. Even a slight gap reduces their effectiveness.

I've not tried them myself, but these appear to be some of the better helmet speakers (going by motorbike reviews), but again, aren't cheap.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?channable=020990696400363131353431383739fe&ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Cardo-JBL-45-mm-Speaker-Audio-Set&Locale=en_GB

Good luck find a solution that works for you, and getting rid of the feedback.
Rich

Bunnings sells the split rivets.

How many you after? I may have some spares you can have. Pick up after Uncle Dan lifts lockdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, tarok said:

Bunnings sells the split rivets. emoji6.png

How many you after? I may have some spares you can have. Pick up after Uncle Dan lifts lockdown emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, not many - maybe half a dozen or so - just need to make an extension for my midriff Covid expansion - not too much but just a weeee bit

50 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

I use moulded earphones, as they isolate from the fan noise as well giving clear audio, but they weren't cheap. The downside being that if your batteries fail mod troop you're completely deaf.

Try putting some padding between the helmet speakers and the helmet to bring them as close as you can to your ears. Even a slight gap reduces their effectiveness.

I've not tried them myself, but these appear to be some of the better helmet speakers (going by motorbike reviews), but again, aren't cheap.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?channable=020990696400363131353431383739fe&ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Cardo-JBL-45-mm-Speaker-Audio-Set&Locale=en_GB

Good luck find a solution that works for you, and getting rid of the feedback.
Rich

Thanks, what were the moulded earphones you used? Will also check out the JBL speakers.

Thanks, what were the moulded earphones you used? Will also check out the JBL speakers.
https://m.thomann.de/gb/ultimate_ears_ue11_pro.htm?glp=1

I did say not cheap!!!
(I already had these from my rock gig days, definitely didn't buy them just for trooping).

Be interested to know how the jbl's work out if you get them.

For more affordable in ears, senheisser make some really good wired earphones, and usually come with 3 sizes of rubber cups to get a good fit.

4 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

https://m.thomann.de/gb/ultimate_ears_ue11_pro.htm?glp=1

I did say not cheap!!!
(I already had these from my rock gig days, definitely didn't buy them just for trooping).

Be interested to know how the jbl's work out if you get them.

ahhh wow - over GBP1K - definitely not for me - they are plugin earbuds so not what I am after - had no idea earbuds could cost so $$$$$$$ O.o

Ah, hence the apple ear buds. Gotcha.
Yeah, the cable is a bit of a fiddle.

I know what you mean about the cost. They're good (you'd hope so), but it was painful parting with the money. Amazing how expensive audio stuff can get. Just for research, look up high end studio monitors. Enough to make your wallet bleed!

2 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Ah, hence the apple ear buds. Gotcha.
Yeah, the cable is a bit of a fiddle.

I know what you mean about the cost. They're good (you'd hope so), but it was painful parting with the money. Amazing how expensive audio stuff can get. Just for research, look up high end studio monitors. Enough to make your wallet bleed!

Had a 15 year old set of Mirage studio monitors I just sold after moving house recently - got a grand for them so pretty happy with that. Yes, high end studio monitors are frigging $$$$$

Are you using UKSWrath hearing assist kit in your bucket?

Edited by RageQuit
  • Like 1

You've probably already looked at this, but if scroll to near the bottom of the first page I posted the pics of how I mounted my mics

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47747-ukswrath-hearing-assist-how-are-others-installing-it/

If you're looking at apple ear buds I guess that means you're looking at a Bluetooth wireless system(?)

I haven't gone that way with my helmet (yet), but you can buy 3rd party adaptors for in ear monitors to make them wireless. I got these for my UE in ears for regular music listening and they worked great. Just got to make sure you get the right connector type for your in ears.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RN6RYPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_V5YNCHMQFTZEQF7YEP2V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You've made me want to try wireless now
Seeing as I already have the Bluetooth adaptor for my in ears, I've just ordered a Bluetooth transmitter. Will let you know how I get on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K8ANDCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_A2T65QGA17M5NPCGXKZ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

15 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

You've made me want to try wireless now emoji1.png
Seeing as I already have the Bluetooth adaptor for my in ears, I've just ordered a Bluetooth transmitter. Will let you know how I get on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K8ANDCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_A2T65QGA17M5NPCGXKZ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Should be interesting to see how that performs for you.

To clarify I used the wired version of the apple earbuds, not the bluetooth model. They were the only wired earbuds I had in the house, used for sound performance testing and to ensure I labelled the mics left and right correctly.

I am more interested in a hard wired speaker solution that sits permanently in the bucket.

• Like 1

Should be interesting to see how that performs for you.
To clarify I used the wired version of the apple earbuds, not the bluetooth model. They were the only wired earbuds I had in the house, used for sound performance testing and to ensure I labelled the mics left and right correctly.
I am more interested in a hard wired speaker solution that sits permanently in the bucket.

Cool. Can definitely see the appeal in a solution that stays in the bucket. Much less messing around when getting ready.

I'll let you know how the wireless works out in case you need to go that route, and I'll be following to see if you find a helmet speaker solution that works well

The Bluetooth transmitter turned up today.
Works perfectly. Far better than having wires to deal with when putting my helmet on.
Here's the link to the transmitter and receiver cable for my in ears monitors.

KZ APTX HD Lossless Transmission CSR8675 Bluetooth Module 5.0 Wireless Upgrade Cable Detachable Cord (B PIN) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RP8PM8P/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_5FAHG5EZMADBEXQKYDED

TROND Bluetooth V5.0 Transmitter Receiver, 2-in-1 Wireless 3.5mm Audio Adapter, AptX Low Latency, Smart Codec Indicator, 2 Devices Simultaneously, for TV, Home Sound System https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K8ANDCI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_5S1Q87KFJE79YT1MBX70?_encoding=UTF8&psc=19fb90b8a9327c2f78f752aa920c09490.jpg

• Like 2

Ah cool glad to hear it is working for you. How long do you earbuds last before needing a recharge?

I'm finishing off re-strapping at the moment, and  will tackle my helmet after that, haven't looked at the in helmet speaker options yet, will keep you posted.

Ah cool glad to hear it is working for you. How long do you earbuds last before needing a recharge?

The specs day 8 hours use before needing to recharge. Do think I've ever tried running them flat, so not sure how accurate that is.

I'm finishing off re-strapping at the moment, and  will tackle my helmet after that, haven't looked at the in helmet speaker options yet, will keep you posted.

Cool. Interested to see what you end up doing :duim:

• Like 1

Do you get any feedback from your voice with the hearing assist?

I remember reading awhile back a trooper said hearing his voice coming back thru the hearing assist was slightly weird, almost a slight delay from speaking to when he heard himself speak thru the hearing assist.