ANH (Stunt) TK build

RageQuit

Hi, I'm planning on building an ANH (Stunt) TK and am just starting down the research path.

Currently looking at RS Prop Masters and sending some questions over to them prior to reviewing other manufacturers as well.

I am looking for info as to wether I should choose ABS or PVC for the material. PVC being a more brilliant white and also UV stable possibly seems a better option - I live in Australia and the sun gets pretty strong in summer.

My first kit was an ArmoryShop TX which I fully commissioned myself, this time I am possibly going down the pre-commissioned - still tossing that up.

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are most welcome.

• Like 1

Hi Geoff

Good to see you found your way here.

Take your time reading through posts and build threads here. This place is a gold mine of information.

The reason I suggested RS is because they offer the full commission/pre built option, as I know you want to get out there trooping again ASAP.

Other popular kits within KFG are AP and WTF. A few of us have Anovos kits, but as you know from your own experiences with them, “fast” is not a word one easily associates with that company.

In terms of PVC vs ABS, it’s a personal choice IMO. Each has their advantage.

You’ll notice a difference in colour between the 2 mediums, but no more than you’ll notice the different shades of white between manufacturers.

I’m Knightfall’s FISD attaché, so I’ll be keeping an even closer eye on your thread than most

As mentioned elsewhere, I’ll message you tonight about the blaster questions you had.

• Like 1

First $$$$'s spent, ordered TRamp BlastFX latest version. Will be 3D printing, weathering and installing the electronics into an E-11 blaster.

The BlastFX functionality has come a long way since fitting into an E-11D blaster about 2 years ago - especially like the barrel heat/overheat ability.

Really looking forward to putting this together.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RageQuit said:

Question in regard to ABS vs PVC, is one more flexible and/or studier than the other?

I'm looking at this from ability to handle wear and tear plus repairability.

A couple of threads on the subject

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

A couple of threads on the subject

oh wow, I will have a good read - thanks :)

EDIT: Very interesting reading - seems to be a personal choice which way ppl go. Thanks again, food for thought.

Edited by RageQuit
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So slowly starting to buy bits and pieces, the great thing is there are 3 of us in our garrison all building a stunt TK each, so can save on some bulk purchasing and reduced shipping costs.

Re the black gloves, I really do not want to buy any type of sealed rubber, latex, etc glove and prefer the leather glove option for breathability.

I'm thinking a thin leather black glove with enough at the wrist to slide into the forearm armour - would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks.

Leather gloves are permissible for ANH TK basic approval, however most of us just wear rubber gloves. Brent put me onto the Cyclone gardening gloves which have a rubber palm and fingers, with a breathable cloth backing.

da9896bb08a1bdea61e7ec66be9a4219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:03 PM, tarok said:

Leather gloves are permissible for ANH TK basic approval, however most of us just wear rubber gloves. Brent put me onto the Cyclone gardening gloves which have a rubber palm and fingers, with a breathable cloth backing.

da9896bb08a1bdea61e7ec66be9a4219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rudi, and yes Brent has also put me onto the same gloves which are available from Bunnings. :)

I find my rubber gloves from Woolworth's, also a good idea to have some of the white cotton liner gloves, they help soak up the sweat so the rubber gloves don't stick to your hands. I go through a few pairs of the cotton inners during a troop, it's like putting on a fresh glove when you swap them out :D 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:55 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I find my rubber gloves from Woolworth's, also a good idea to have some of the white cotton liner gloves, they help soak up the sweat so the rubber gloves don't stick to your hands. I go through a few pairs of the cotton inners during a troop, it's like putting on a fresh glove when you swap them out :D 

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I was also told the same within the garrison so will be looking to grab some of these as well. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am just about to place an order from RSPropMasters for a fully commissioned ANH Stunt TK kit in ABS.

I am interested to hear from other troopers who have purchased the same kit from RS, what your impressions were of the build quality, durability, etc.

Did you have to make any modifications at all?

Can you sit in the kit? If not would some fibreglassing of the butt plate help.

I'm especially interested in how well the provided strapping system works, when I built my ArmouryShop TX I stripped out the provided strapping system and redid it myself.

Thanks.

Edited by RageQuit

On 4/12/2021 at 10:46 PM, RageQuit said:

I am just about to place an order from RSPropMasters for a fully commissioned ANH Stunt TK kit in ABS.

I am interested to hear from other troopers who have purchased the same kit from RS, what your impressions were of the build quality, durability, etc.

Did you have to make any modifications at all?

Can you sit in the kit? If not would some fibreglassing of the butt plate help.

I'm especially interested in how well the provided strapping system works, when I built my ArmouryShop TX I stripped out the provided strapping system and redid it myself.

Thanks.

While I haven't ordered a commission from RS, I have built one of their kits. Overall, I was happy with the durability and quality of the armor. It's not the thickest armor, but isn't something that is worrying. Based off of others' commissions, RS commissions are usually very well built, and meet basic approval with little to no work, and the higher levels depending on the person wearing it. Some people have to make modifications, but if your body type is close to the original trooper size, then the commission should fit well no problem, with just fine tuning if you need it to fit you better. As for sitting in the kit? I can't do that in my armor (using the original strapping system), and I'll go out on a limb and assume most people can't sit in their armor. RS uses the same strapping system as the original armor, and I used the same in building my kit. I find it works very well, although not as practical or flexible as other methods of strapping. I also had to resew some snaps on some provided straps, but even that was only a minor issue. If you're going for the most accurate trooper you can, RS does all their assembly and strapping exactly the same (as far as I know), and you should be happy.

So does the strapping work well, and is the armor good quality? I'd say yes. Can you sit? Probably not. :P:jc_doublethumbup:

Good choice on your armor, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. :smiley-sw013:

7 hours ago, PhilBobTheFish said:

While I haven't ordered a commission from RS, I have built one of their kits. Overall, I was happy with the durability and quality of the armor. It's not the thickest armor, but isn't something that is worrying. Based off of others' commissions, RS commissions are usually very well built, and meet basic approval with little to no work, and the higher levels depending on the person wearing it. Some people have to make modifications, but if your body type is close to the original trooper size, then the commission should fit well no problem, with just fine tuning if you need it to fit you better. As for sitting in the kit? I can't do that in my armor (using the original strapping system), and I'll go out on a limb and assume most people can't sit in their armor. RS uses the same strapping system as the original armor, and I used the same in building my kit. I find it works very well, although not as practical or flexible as other methods of strapping. I also had to resew some snaps on some provided straps, but even that was only a minor issue. If you're going for the most accurate trooper you can, RS does all their assembly and strapping exactly the same (as far as I know), and you should be happy.

So does the strapping work well, and is the armor good quality? I'd say yes. Can you sit? Probably not. :P:jc_doublethumbup:

Good choice on your armor, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. :smiley-sw013:

Thanks Phil,

Just sent off my measurements [double and triple checked] today. Wait time is 12 weeks, I read earlier this week that they had a fire in Feb [I think] at their factory so that would account for the longer wait time from what I was quoted in Jan this year.

Looking forward to getting the kit and becoming an active member of my garrison once more.

I watched a YouTube video which showed how to improve on the calf clips that secure at the rear - I'm sure I will need to tweak the strapping as well to provide best fit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

While I am waiting for my RS kit to arrive sometime in July, I am ordering the below listed additional equipment:

1. BlastFX - will go into a 2nd E11 I will put together - I can then alternate between that and the RSProp E11 depending on the troop requirement.

2. UKSwrath - Stormtrooper Audio System w/Voice Modulation.

3. UKSwrath - Stormtrooper Hearing assist Kit. Bought this the same time I bought the Deathtrooper Audio Assist kit a couple of years back, never installed it and will use in my TK bucket.

4. Nomex Flight Flyers Gloves [Black] - Will alternate between these and the RS gloves depending on the troop requirement.

• Like 1

After reading 501st reviews on balaclavas when trooping in hotter conditions, I purchased the "Under Armor UA HeatGear Tactical Balaclava Facemask (Black)".

• Like 1

I have a couple of different balaclavas, I don't wear them all the time and it depends on which helmet and which costume. I do find the thinner material type do keep you a lot cooler. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RageQuit said:

After reading 501st reviews on balaclavas when trooping in hotter conditions, I purchased the "Under Armor UA HeatGear Tactical Balaclava Facemask (Black)".

That's the one I've got. Wasn't cheap, but worth every cent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm waiting for my kit to arrive I bought a DeWalt 240 Litre carry case.

Jumped into Photopea to knock up a design which I like.

Lots of masking to be done, and need to find an online printer who can make the graphics out of sticky back UV resistant vinyl.

um yes-am having problems copying google drive links in. will add photos when i figure it out..

Edited by RageQuit

• 4 weeks later...