Alternatives for Helmet Fan and Audio

Prospective TK looking for input. Before I shell out for the conventional electronics that I've seen used by troopers I was looking at some alternatives.

First for the helmet fans, would it be feasible to mount this fan inside the helmet https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Free-Rechargeable-Adjustable-Headphone-Traveling/dp/B07RX7ZWWT/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1N2X6Y6PBIXKD&dchild=1&keywords=rechargeable+fan+portable&qid=1609891137&sprefix=rechargeable+fan%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-12 Has anyone used something similar?

Next for the audio, does TrooperTalk work via Bluetooth? I already own bluetooth earphones and I was thinking about mounting something like this https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Smallest-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B0723HQLMN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1WZP5XBSRSBT0&dchild=1&keywords=tiny+bluetooth+speaker&qid=1610118155&sprefix=tiny+bluet%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-3 into the hovi tips. Would the app work via two devices in such a way? 

I'm still doing research on which kit I want to get. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey there, trooper.

Personally, I’m very pleased with my TRamp voice system. As a back up, I have a standard Aker MR1505 which, for around £26 GBP, is a bargain. Here’s my thoughts on both;

For fans, I started with self built fans which worked fine. For a smarter look, I later upgraded to TroopaCoola. They are very well made and the ones I run are variable speed;

If you’re in the US, I hear very good things about UKSWrath products.

Hope that helps.

Dan
  • Like 2

Well naturally I'm biased to all my electronics ;) They're sold on multiple platforms and websites. Here's my "Go to" thread where you can find links to just about anything.

• Like 2

I don't think your amazon fans will fit in your helmet, you also want something that won't suck in hair ;) 

I went with a basic squirrel fan, switch and 4 x AA battery pack, pretty cheap purchasing all the pieces of eBay and if you can use a solder iron you are set

mX4Q1yy.jpg

fan.jpg.a86d66e6fd42210be30cd20434ea75f9.jpg

For audio I use Icomm unit and Aker 1506 amp

icomm-photo-with-label__40939.1407510241

MR1506-3-Logos-WM__79114.1520873295.386.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I went with a basic squirrel fan, switch and 4 x AA battery pack, pretty cheap purchasing all the pieces of eBay and if you can use a solder iron you are set

mX4Q1yy.jpg

I too have these squirrel fans connected to a USB bank.  By having yours wrapped up in what looks like elastic, does that reduce the fan noise?  I tried something similar to reduce the noise and I noticed the fans where working harder to blow out the air.  By doing this will it damage or reduce their lifespan or is there some trick to what you have done here that will help reduce noise without damaging the fans? 

7 minutes ago, Shinyarmour1 said:

I too have these squirrel fans connected to a USB bank.  By having yours wrapped up in what looks like elastic, does that reduce the fan noise?  I tried something similar to reduce the noise and I noticed the fans where working harder to blow out the air.  By doing this will it damage or reduce their lifespan or is there some trick to what you have done here that will help reduce noise without damaging the fans? 

That image is showing the other side of the fan, it's just velcro you can see, I like to use that so I can move position in the helmet, on the other side of the open fan I added some mesh, like what is used on the helmet teeth, the goatee got a little out of control in lockdown and didn't want any hair pulled in. Doesn't change the noise but I only find it annoying when fully charged, does quieten down. I also found using a block of foam on the sides of my head in front of the ears can reduce noise and also stops helmet wobble ;) 

27 minutes ago, UltiRed5 said:

Thanks for the info everyone. I was hoping to reduce the amount of wires and batteries as much as possible. @ukswrath I will likely order some fans in the future.

I'll be glad to help when you're ready

I have 2 small (2 or 3 inch) fans that run off a small USB power bank.  They're not enclosed, but my plan is to mount them down low.  I don't have long hair or facial hair so that isn't a problem.

Also they're very quiet.
I'm also reseearching audio options, hoping to use some off the shelf stuff when needed, and cobble the rest together.  I really want everything to run off USB to eliminate battery issues.

2 fans for $11.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821YC2NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Also, props to UKSWrath... I ordered Hovi tip speakers from him earlier this evening, and I already have a tracking number for it.  That's fast!!

Edited by FTL900
  • Like 1