MOC TK Helmet - Classic Stormtrooper Helmet with some modifications

Thank you very much Glen @gmrhodes13 and Mario @TKSpartan :)

Before continuing with today‘s update I just have to mention three minor corrections to this build.

Daniel @CableGuy has collected some very good information about ANH helmet building and painting in some of his YouTube videos.

Watched these just recently and then found flaws on the eyes and the paint job on vocoder and the HOVIs.

See the following photos for the corrective actions:

51002716272_d857281d8d_b.jpg

Okay, now to the update. :)

Looking at the helmets from TIE-pilots and Magma Troopers, I found tubes or hoses to somehow look pretty cool. But adding them means they have to end somewhere.

On a full costume you can run them to a chest box or a back pack. In this case it is just a helmet – with a classic RS Prop Masters helmet stand.

So I started figuring, if just one tube could be fitted somehow…

51002597841_c20b2e5027_b.jpg

51001895908_b5af96afc1_b.jpg

In this place it looks like supplying the flashlights or some other hidden electronics.

By the way, that painfully reminds me of an aiming device I had planned for the right eye, just below the blast shield.

Would be nice but unfortunately I did not manage to find anything suitable for this. -_-

Okay back to topic. It was time to run the other ends of tube and cable somewhere.

The cable was easy, I just tape-glued it to the inside of the helmet. But that tube, oh boy …

51002597786_1ebd7c018c_b.jpg

51002716217_40217ebcd0_b.jpg

The diameters of tube and that chromish metal piece exactly matched. Would have been nicer to see one fitting into the other.

However, I am pretty glad it still looks good this way. :)

The next topic is ‚helmet personalization‘.

Seems like there is a long tradition of individual drawings on various military vehicles and equipment.

Even customized helmets seem common and can be spotted in the Star Wars Universe, too.

51002597766_f35bb8877d_b.jpg

Found different colors and sloppy lines to look more real than having everything perfectly lined up with just one color.

While doing this, I thought about something like a slogan or motto from that trooper, hand-paint onto the helmet.

But not with the letters of our alphabet, with letters in Aurebesh…

51002716172_df3eae1cf6_b.jpg

Thought an officially looking military marking (white on NATO green) would be a good addition to this.

Instead of sloppy lines, I now needed something that looked like being made with a stencil or template – in Aurebesh of course… :rolleyes:

51002597756_0648c9df42_b.jpg

51002597741_e6268ce630_b.jpg

The last photo shows the TK-ID is a bit crooked and the black slogan has an offset.

First I was a little frustrated, then found it to look more real because such inaccuracies can happen with hand-made things.

Anyway, it‘s the rear side which soon can‘t be seen in the display case.

List of modifications so far:

1 - Blast Shield

2 - Black Interior

3 - Two-tone paint job

4 - Antenna and radio

5 - Utility belt

6 - Universal supply box

7 - Bacta canister

8 - Helmet flashlights

9 - Breathing tube

10 - Kill marks

11 - Aurebesh letterings

Two updates to come - next one in a week. :)

• Like 7

The aurebesh came out great! If you are looking for a more worn look I guess you could do a little chipping to the letters, but I like it as it is. The hose idea is another cool mod for this helmet. 
I think this helmet needs a full set or armor and backpack to go with it. ;)

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

The aurebesh came out great! If you are looking for a more worn look I guess you could do a little chipping to the letters, but I like it as it is. The hose idea is another cool mod for this helmet. 
I think this helmet needs a full set or armor and backpack to go with it. ;)

And a very Badass weapon!!! :56pullhair:

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 10:16 PM, TKSpartan said:

And a very Badass weapon!!! :56pullhair:

Agreed! That is for sure. 

Okay Tino, the project is there for you to challenge! Armor and blaster! Get this completed and submit to LFL and maybe we can see it in a TV show or movie! ;)

• Like 1

Well Tino, the term "Blown away" is not strong enough for the remarkable job you have done on this project.

I am sure there will be plenty of members inspired by your build and ingenuity with this thread.

Personally I am above and beyond impressed by your workmanship and attention to details. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 4

Many thanks for your kind words, Dan. Coming from a real helmet expert :smiley-sw013:, this means a lot to me.

Thanks Brian, we will soon get to the weathering... :)

Yes, if I was doing a full armor, it would surely come with a backpack - and of course a very badass weapon, Mario. :laugh1:

However, my collection is just for helmets. I have no space, time and money to make a full armor here. Sorry guys. :blush:

5 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

(...)   Okay Tino, the project is there for you to challenge! Armor and blaster! Get this completed and submit to LFL and maybe we can see it in a TV show or movie! ;)

Maybe (and this is a big maybe) I can draw a picture of how the full armor would look like. Unfortunately I have no skills with digital drawing tools and only limited skills on paper...

On 3/7/2021 at 2:21 AM, tat2trooper said:

Great job. Looks amazing. :jc_doublethumbup:

Thank you very much, David. :)

4 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Well Tino, the term "Blown away" is not strong enough for the remarkable job you have done on this project.

I am sure there will be plenty of members inspired by your build and ingenuity with this thread.

Personally I am above and beyond impressed by your workmanship and attention to details. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Wow, many thanks Andrew. I am out of words.

The good thing is, there will be two more updates before this project is done. Next one coming on Friday. :D

• Like 4

Today‘s update is more of a rework.

As you may remember, I worried how wobbly the bacta canister was attached to the belt with just a blank wire.

Not only this, the wire was also visible on both end caps and on the canister‘s rear side it even got magnified by the liquid. :rolleyes:

Searched for a more stable and less noticeable way – and played with the idea to illuminate the bacta like seen in ESB^_^

51025624598_f163de094e_b.jpg

51026456977_33ed311a78_b.jpg

51025624468_f3a931b7c5_b.jpg

51026353246_effcf15351_b.jpg

The only way to hide the light source was to place it inside the upper cap, with the LED facing down towards the liquid.

Also wanted to hide the switch, for what the bottom side of the lower cap seemed ideal.

But how to run the wires between both end caps without seeing them? :0Lighten: If I can‘t hide them, maybe I can use them…

51026353211_0e12c84e42_b.jpg

51026456867_d826fb41cb_b.jpg

51026353161_94c00bdeb2_b.jpg

51025624328_0c36edbdaf_b.jpg

51026456807_856fc138c6_b.jpg

51025624258_f050c41763_b.jpg

Not only that, the surprisingly stable wires (hidden on the rear side) are perfect for attaching this bacta canister to the helmet.

I simply ran the 'utility belt' between the acrylic tube and the wires and ended up with a very tight fit. No more wobbling. :)

Next update will show the final project and covers more helmet personalization plus comprehensive weathering...

• Like 6

Final helmet update:

The imperial cog is my favorite emblem and I thought it would look nice on the side of the blast shield.

A sticker might have been the easiest way, but it needed to be heavily worn off. That required more work…

51051212153_963827c305_b.jpg

51051939491_272be7cb3e_b.jpg

51051212098_39666e2b7e_b.jpg

51051212083_6c8452db83_b.jpg

On 1/18/2021 at 11:09 AM, T-Jay said:

(...)   This helmet is meant to later look like some kind of spec ops trooper and I definitely want to add some serious battle damages plus weathering.   (...)

Okay, here we go... B)

51051212018_9bc5fcec66_b.jpg

51051212003_8b4efc6cff_b.jpg

51051939386_4336abcf27_b.jpg

51051211968_3abe1f01dc_b.jpg

51052023697_fa240d2dcd_b.jpg

A plaque was required, as this helmet will be in my RS collection and there it would look odd without it.

The layout is close to the original RS plaques and I weathered it to match the style of this bucket.  :)

This project was planned for winter 2020/2021 and now comes to an end. Building something outside the CRL restrictions was indeed real fun.

Would I do it again? Yes! It was more difficult than a normal helmet (oh wonder) but worth the effort.

Maybe I would use a little brighter kind of green (like TS-5, TS-28 or even TS-78). And I would add an aiming device on the right eye. It still hurts to not have it.

Anyway, it was a fun journey and I really enjoyed to run a build thread again. Many thanks to everyone here for reading and commenting.

Actually I wanted this post to end with a 360 degrees video of the helmet with all lights on.

Sounds easy, but after 13 takes I still ended up with issues on lighting, auto-focus and a wobbly rotation.

So instead, I now close it with the final list of modifications and a few pictures:

1 - Blast Shield

2 - Black Interior

3 - Two-tone paint job

4 - Antenna and radio

5 - Utility belt

6 - Universal supply box

7 - Bacta canister (illuminated)

8 - Helmet flashlights

9 - Breathing tube

10 - Kill marks

11 - Aurebesh letterings

12 - Imperial cog on blast shield

13 - Skull face

14 - Weathering and paint chips

15 - ‘flesh wound with guts‘

16 - Greeblies

17 - Blaster marks

18 - Helmet stand with customized display plaque

51051939336_b8118c325c_b.jpg

51051939316_755b3ff759_b.jpg

Have a nice weekend Troopers and Cadets. ;)

• Like 6

Looks great, one thing I would add is some extra weathering, a bit like Sandtroopers just to some of the recess areas. Well done

Many thanks @TKSpartan @LEGOeatPokemon and @AradunFF :) This build was real fun.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:12 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Looks great, one thing I would add is some extra weathering, a bit like Sandtroopers just to some of the recess areas. Well done

THAT is a great idea. Will definitely do this - even if not documented here.

• Like 3