Getting started on a remnants incinerator

If you haven't 3D printed before I would suggest adding slightly thicker walls when printing, helps with strength of pieces, I find printed parts can be easily cracked.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

If you haven't 3D printed before I would suggest adding slightly thicker walls when printing, helps with strength of pieces, I find printed parts can be easily cracked.

I will pop my cherry on 3D printing, it's a first for me. Slightly scary. But Steve is here to the rescue hopefully :)

1 hour ago, stevechewbacca said:

Again, I'll be happy to help you start this journey ;) 
The next things to get are filler, pvc glue and sand paper (a lot of it) ^^

You gotta have to make an amazon list for me lol. Sanding, I hate sand :D

1 hour ago, Startide said:

Another question : there is currently only a CRL for the videogame, how does that work for the mandalorian version of the incinerator in that case ?

You could print some Rogue One TK armour, paint it up, and be the model for the live action version CRL:)  

Honestly, I have no idea where things are at with the live action CRL - all I know is that it looked awesome in the Mandalorian.  

EDIT: I actually read the rest of the posts - I see you are getting armour from Jim.  Nice! Disregard the printing part then.  :)

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 1

Another question : https://imgur.com/a/UUVaQcU

I checked the episode again and I am a little confused about the pipes that link up to the front valves (below the mesh / nested part). They look like hardtubing in most scenes, and also on the hot toys figurine.

But there is one clip where the trooper holds his gun (wrong, btw) by that part instead of using the grip, and the pipes don't seem to be in the same place. What do you guys think, is this supposed to be soft tubing or hardtubing ? Even then I wonder if they didn't use 2 different guns when shooting those scenes.

Ideas / suggestions ?

Ok, now I see it.
I think it is more like a rubber sheath or something where the gaz wires get through and which allow him to hold it there (which still would be a bad idea with the gun part over it :p )

• Like 1

Excellent but you have not added your image correctly.

here is an easy guide on how to add them directly to your threads without just showing a link.

Very excited to see you bring this build together. if you are the first then we will need to work together to create an accurate CRL so make sure you do plenty of research and have as many reference images as possible.

• Like 1

You can't see the picture when clicking the link ? I simply linked the page and not the picture itself to not overload the thread ^^

For the CRL I was wondering how things were working, I have never done this before. My only costume is from 2004 and it's an armor FX :D :D I have checked other build threads and it seems they are all halted for now.

As far as I can tell, it should be the same as a ROTK armor, plus we have the mandalorian scene as reference and the hot toys figurine that is pretty badass. Beyond that I am not aware of further references for that character.

Looks like you figured out how to post images, Romain!  :jc_doublethumbup: As long as you are using imgur or another photo hosting service, you don't have to worry about overloading the thread.  We LOVE photos, and lots of them!  Posting them up on your thread is especially helpful when/if you have an issue, as it's MUCH easier to help you if we can see the details.

Looking forward to following your build!  :popcorn:

• Like 1

Reference images are key to any new to legion costume, you will need adequate references to support your build and the general minimum requirement is front rear alert and right side. The LMO team will require those or other substantiating evidence to be able to green light any CRL for a new costume.
My guess other have halted because they could be waiting for more footage and references in the coming season.
Action figures as a rule have not been allowed as an only reference point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Startide said:

I am new to this, what should be my first steps to proceed with this ?

Perhaps check out some of the R1 build threads to see how others began https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/196-rogue-one-build-threads/

Make sure you build as closely as you can to reference material, especially being a new CRL the finished product with be scrutinised more.

And of course measure twice and cut once ;)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, TheRascalKing said:

Oh snap, I love it! I'm eventually going to do a whole "what I learned if I had to do it again" post on my thread, but I'll try to cobble together the Lite version to help you out. So much trial and error, but I think it would go WAY smoother if I had to do one of these again, knowing what I now know. Way excited for you though, man - congrats!

And yea, Jim's shipping ain't cheap but it's freaky fast and he's a pleasure to work with. I've heard he's actually like an optometrist in real life and just does this for fun? Pretty cool.

The most important (and time sensitive) advice I have is to measure, trim, and test (maybe even strap, at least temporarily) fit everything before you do ANY paint. Start with a soapy water bath and a maroon scuff pad to get any stray fiberglass or mold release off, but resist actually sanding any bare fiberglass if you can - it just opens up tiny bubbles. After cleaning and trimming, I would spray the whole thing with at least two "layers" (a layer typically being 2-3 light coats... Or about 2-3 cans for each layer to do the entire suit) of different color primer, then go with spot putty for any defects still visible, THEN sand... But never all the way down to the fiberglass. It also would not hurt to do an additional THIN coat or two of resin on the inside to help seal the glass strands. It sounds obvious, but you need to REALLY think about and plan out the order of the steps of your build to maximize efficiency... It's hard to go back and correct the previous step once you move on. Food for thought. I probably would have been better off paying someone to paint it, my first time around... but after what I've learned, I'm less afraid. I'm around if you have any questions!

Shapow.

As Glen has mentioned a couple of posts up, references will be mandatory to having a costume that satisfies the Detachment team that will work with you on creating a CRL, and most importantly the LMO team who ultimately can say yay or nay.

Be prepared for scrutiny form both departments, but it is what makes new to legion costumes so rewarding in the end.

Take all the advice you can from those here who have built the R1 style costumes as they have remedies for mistakes they may have made which will be hugely beneficial to you in the long run.

Also be mindful there may be others working on the same costume and pushing for the same end goal of first in legion, so keep an eye on any build and discussion threads you see.

If you are the only one, then others are sure to follow in your footsteps so make sure you have a good detailed build thread. Photos and process description will be a key element for you and others.

@Startide prepare a good sdcard to take all the pics of the build. 
Even for all the 3D printed parts for the backpack and flamethrower ;)

This is gonna be fun and exciting !

7 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Take all the advice you can from those here who have built the R1 style costumes as they have remedies for mistakes they may have made which will be hugely beneficial to you in the long run.

That's what I have been doing, that's a lot to read but there is plenty of stuff I learned already

7 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Also be mindful there may be others working on the same costume and pushing for the same end goal of first in legion, so keep an eye on any build and discussion threads you see.

If you are the only one, then others are sure to follow in your footsteps so make sure you have a good detailed build thread. Photos and process description will be a key element for you and others.

Yup that's why I documented times and cost so far, so that people would know what they are getting into. I plan on documenting the materials cost as much as I can because it's often quite expensive in the end, but rarely documented :P I don't really mind being first or second, as long as my armor looks good and feels good to wear I'll be a happy camper.

It just so happens that Steve gave me the incinerator virus ^^

• Like 1