Getting started on a remnants incinerator

Hi gang !

So my good pal @stevechewbacca finaly pushed me over the edge and I am starting to get things in order to make a mando episode 8 incinerator trooper.

I am not the crafty type, so I will need a lot of help.

EDIT : I have added a bit of formating and color coding so that it may be of some help for others (also helps me keep track of stuff).

On to the parts :

• Imperial boots - boots : 
    • ordered 09 january 2021 (154.90 USD / 130.69€) + 43€ for customs
    • Added to production backlog by IB on January 10th
    • Received January 20th / wrong boots, got regular TK instead of R1 TK
    • Sent a contact form inquiry through IB website. (Not sure if worked) 20/01
    • Sent an actual email to IB for inquiry with picture of the wrong boots on 21/01
    • 22/01 : IB replied that the issue would be resolved next week
    • Received February 3rd thanks IB for promptly fixing my little issue :)

• Endors finders - gloves : 
    • ordered 10 january 2021 (72 USD / 61.52€)
    • Shipped 13th january
    • Received January 20th

• Darkside closet - underwear :

• Pauldron :
    • Found my grey pauldron, wife is confident it can be painted red :)

Now the hard part : the armor and helmet. Steve mentioned jimmyroquai and 850armorworks but more advice would be appreciated. In particular I would like to have a helmet that match the armor. I don't mind painting the red strips, but going full automotive paint on the whole armor to have a matching white is a path I rather not go.

24/04/2021 : I went with Jimmyroquai in then end, couldn't be happier. The armor is super crisp, the details are amazing. Still needs painting, but it's pretty well finished already, I am less concerned. I am still looking for a pro to do the painting, because hey it's a 1000 euros worth of armor, better have it done right if possible (depending on the cost obviously).

• Armor from jimmyroquai
    • 40% Downpayment sent on january 21th - 293.29 euros
    • Rest of the payment sent on 07th April + shipping : 629.14 euros
    • Scheduled drop on Tuesday 20/04/2021 : 107 euros for customs
    • Dropped on thursday 22/04/2021 total cost : 1029.43 euros

• Zippo from Marko Makaj STL Files
    • Delivered in minutes ! (30 USD / 25,88 EUR)

• 3D Printer Artillery Sidewinder X1
    • Ordered on April 12th (357.45 EUR)
    • Received on April 16th

Thank you gals and guys for the help, looking forward to flaming away :D

Edited by Startide
  • Like 2

Romain,
I really like your plan. I've been thinking about repainting my old ROTK armor into something from The Mandalorian, possibly a Remnant Stormtrooper, the Incinerator, or even the newer Mortar Trooper. I think these new variations are outstanding. Let me throw up two screen shots:

M2SBjT0.jpg

NP1TsFR.jpg

The Mandalorian Incinerator is entirely a Rogue One/ Anthology/ New Generation Stormtrooper. For that reason, I think your choices are spot on; either the 850 Armor Works or Jimmiroquai armor should work. Please check out @Nicker's WIP here: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49446-remnant-incinerator-trooper-wip/ He's got an awesome build using the 850 Armor Works set, and has provided links to the flamethrower/ pack 3D files. Additionally, your soft parts selections are all great choices (they're actually the same ones I have.) For the Pauldron, I really like Katarra8's offerings on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/150178963/classic-star-wars-stormtrooper-shoulder?ref=shop_home_feat_3.

So, when you begin your build, pay careful attention to the ROTK CRL and reach out with any questions, there's tons of people who will be excited to help.
Now, lets get that CRL created. :duim:

Edited by BigJasoni
Bad grammar... LOL
  • Like 1

Thanks for the support ! Much appreciated. I got a bunch of 4K screens taken from mandalorian (not that many angles to work with through), I would have taken some from Rogue One but given how thorough the CRL is, I am not sure it's needed. Plus nicker build is pretty advanced and obviously on it's path to set the standard so... I asked him about the pauldron, because his looks just perfect.

Steve mentionned the etsy shop you linked, seems like the man knows everything :D

Yes it's definitely not a cheap hobby, especially with shipping from other countries, jumped significantly over the last few years

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Startide said:

Gloves on their way, they just left miami :)

still unsure about what amor kit to pick; if you have ideas / suggestions they are more than welcome !

Have you had a read through this thread 

A good idea is to have a look through other R1 build threads, will give you examples of different armor, their details and how to build/modify

R1 build threads are here

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/196-rogue-one-build-threads/

5 hours ago, Startide said:

Thanks for the reminder, yes I did go through this. So it basically boils down to jimmy or 850AW. I am a little scared about the painting involved, hence my renewed asking for guidance :D

Figured I'd weigh in a bit here!

So keep in mind that whatever kit you get, it WILL need to get painted. Prepare mentally (and financially) for that - if you have NO experience with paint, and high standards... I would absolutely pay someone to do it for you. If you have the time/patience/budget and want to learn, it will be a great opportunity. If you're an experienced painter, it's probably not too bad since it's all just white. I'll lay out a couple positive and negatives for each if it helps. I have Jim's kit and would hands down recommend it over the ABS options, but make your own call for sure.

Jimmiroquai - Fiberglass
PROS:

- by far the most accurate kit currently available, bar none, including being the most similar to the material the studio suits were made from

- kit requires very little trimming or assembly

- kit is generally very comfortable and the fiberglass is flexible and high quality

- Jim is very responsive, ships fast, and has great customer service

- kit can include a quality, one-piece fiberglass helmet (based on the Black Series - only a properly finished Nico 3D-print is nicer, imo)

CONS:

- needs to be painted: the kit comes in kind of a tan/off-white, and usually has a fair amount of small surface imperfections that need to be fixed (low spots/pinholes/etc.)

- it is more expensive than the ABS offerings, and shipping from the Philippines can be expensive as well

- the fiberglass can develop small stress cracks, but I wouldn't say any moreso than ABS

850Armor Works or HeadShotProps - ABS
PROS:

- less expensive

- many builders are more familiar with working with ABS

CONS:

- sculpts and proportions are not as accurate

- not accurate to the material used on the studio suits, or the sharp corners/details that are the hallmark of the suit

- needs to be painted, as it includes a mix of resin or 3D-printed detail parts along with the ABS

- not currently offering a helmet (HSP appears to be, but I'm not a fan)

- requires a good deal of trimming and assembly, little complete documentation/guides are available

That is of course my personal opinion, but maybe it will help and give you some extra things to consider. Feel free to check out my build thread (link in my sig) if you want, and I'm happy to try to help answer any questions. Boots and gloves look good, I have the same. Consider Sheev's Emporium for the undersuit as well. Good luck!

• Like 1

I went through your thread and I commend your dedication. The amount of work is a bit daunting I gotta admit.

Another issue is that the products you use are not readily available in France, that's a big concern for me to figure out what to use to paint.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Startide said:

I went through your thread and I commend your dedication. The amount of work is a bit daunting I gotta admit.

Another issue is that the products you use are not readily available in France, that's a big concern for me to figure out what to use to paint.

Hey buddy  ! :)

So, it is pretty easy to paint on a fiberglass armor with what we have in France : just wash it with water and soap one or two times to get rid of chemical remains, then lightly sand it, then add some primer and let's go :)

You can get some non expensive yet very effective primer at Leroy Merlin.
The paint I would recommand is Montana, their Gold cans come in a very large variety of colors and I had zero problems with it painting neither on a Jimiroquai's shore helmet nor on ABS ;) It's the only brand I use now.
I should be able to help you find the ones you need if you want.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help, I guess it's settled then. Now I gotta find how to contact that guy, he is everywhere and nowhere at the same time it seems ^^ he has an etsy but with decals only, RPF profile but no R1TK thread... hum. Jim where are you ? :D

EDIT : silly me, there is his email adress in the "where to get stuff" topic. NVM I am tired ^^

Edited by Startide

1 hour ago, Startide said:

Thanks for the help, I guess it's settled then. Now I gotta find how to contact that guy, he is everywhere and nowhere at the same time it seems ^^ he has an etsy but with decals only, RPF profile but no R1TK thread... hum. Jim where are you ? :D

EDIT : silly me, there is his email adress in the "where to get stuff" topic. NVM I am tired ^^

Hahaha yup, email him. I totally understand about product availability, but I will say that it is pretty much confirmed that the Rust-Oleum 2X Gloss White that I used is at least what the tour/Disney/etc FO troopers used, so it is probably the standard to shoot for for the actual color, if you rattle can. Plus, the majority of FO and white-painted-armor troopers in my Garrison used it, so I won't stick out in a lineup. Montana is excellent quality tho.

Makers definitely keep a low profile and it seems sketchy at first, but no one wants a cease-and-desist from the Mouse is all... I used to pick up my AM armor kits in the parking lot behind the McDonald's by Disneyland, where literal drug deals would be happening around us lol

Edited by TheRascalKing

Got my boots today, they look fantastic ;) 

Also updated 1st message with euro prices (once paypal has scammed me with it's USD / EUR rates :D).

EDIT : After checking with @stevechewbacca (and taking my morning coffee) it seems there has been a mistake in the order, I got good old TK boots, not R1 Ones. Messaged Vincent at once to see what can be done.

Edited by Startide

• 4 weeks later...