Hello from Virginia!

JasonG

Happy New Year to all!

I've been reading about armor for months and have started gathering resources and guides on armor. First I want to say, this is a pretty amazing site with an incredible amount of knowledge on it. From costuming to 3D printing to just general questions on trooping, it's amazing to see so many helpful people.

I'm based near Fredericksburg VA and have two kids (3 and 5) that have recently become obsessed with Star Wars. My daughter told me yesterday that she wants to be a bad guy instead of a good guy. My reply was "Excellent!! <evil laugh>". I'm currently making lightsabers for both of them out of Arduino Nano's and 3D print custom parts.

As far as costume, I'm probably going to go for the ROTK. I absolutely love the Stormtrooper look and have always wanted a blaster. I'm currently printing the last few parts to my blaster and will be filling it out with an Arduino Nano..........and also making it so I can play laser tag with my kids. :-) I've engineered the lenses for that and will be making guns for them as well. 

Initially, I was planning on 3D print armor but from reading several other incredible threads (mainly Jason's from Stafford) about 3D printing, I decided I probably don't have that kind of time or patience. I mean.....I probably do, but printing something, spending all that time on it, and then having it crack is just not something I want to deal with so I'll likely buy most of my armor. I may print parts of it here and there, but for the most part I will piece it out from listed sources from this site. Except the helmet.

I really want to print my helmet and really spend some time getting that right. I know I could just buy one, but I've read a great deal on finishing helmets and applying resins and hardeners, so I'm pretty sure I could do a good job with it.

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and I hope that 2021 will see some events that I can attend in our area (though I'm a little doubtful). 

Catch you all on the flip-flop!

Jason G 

• Like 3

Welcome to FISD Jason!

We have several very detailed ROTK build threads which I highly recommend you take a look at, also if you haven't already check out our getting started section.

You are going to love this place and its very helpful members, but know it's time for you to continue your research, ask loads of questions and start your journey to become a TK of the 501st legion.

Good luck on your journey sir.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/162-rogue-one/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/196-rogue-one-build-threads/

Hello Jason and welcome here. Sounds like you have done some homework already and you seem to be on the best way. :)

If in doubt, ask questions here or start your own build thread when the time comes. We love photos. :D

Good luck on your Stormtrooper journey.

• Like 1

The lasertag blaster is a great idea! If you can share the configuration, I'd be very interested and I'm sure others would be too. :D

Good luck with your 3d-print helmet, I'm really looking forward to that. (I own a CR-10 Max 3D printer).

Jasons thread definitely shows how much effort one can put into a 3d printed armor. :smiley-sw013:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Jason,

Welcome aboard! Nice to have another Jason checking in from Garrison Tyranus land, especially since you live right down the road from me. If we both start trooping in ROTK armor, we can really mess with some people. :lol: We'll have to meet up after the world calms down a bit. However, in the meantime, you've found the right place. This community is awesome and more than well prepared to assist.

I'm glad you stumbled across my 3D print adventure. I feel that both my satisfaction and frustration in attempting the project are well documented. While I like the kit I built, there's definitely things I keep finding that I want to change. However, a lot of that is because I keep comparing it to my other kit which is kind of like comparing apples to oranges... or maybe oranges and tangerines... you get the point. Regardless, 3D printing TK gear is fun, but simultaneously evil.

There's plenty of options available to us now, and even more to come. While you're searching around, keep your eyes open for the Nico Henderson helmet. Also, if you're on FB, stop by the New Generation Stormtrooper Builder's group. There's a lot of us on there sharing tips and tricks for both 3D prints and more traditional approaches to armor building. The group was created by Paul Prentice, aka Mr. Paul, who is well known for researching the armor of Rogue One and his dedication to creating screen accurate 3d files (his Shoretrooper file is mind-blowing).

Anyways, great to have you here and I look forward to seeing your build.

Jason

Welcome to FISD and to Garrison Tyranus!

I'm just down in RVA, so not too far away if you need help. As Jason said, there is plenty of help to be had here and in the Garrison!

Good luck with your build and I hope to get a chance to troop with you soon!

Welcome Jason. I'm a n00b too, down in Florida. My daughter just turned 4 so similar age to your kids. She also likes lightsaber duels. Looking forward to seeing your build progress and very interested in the arduino laser tag blaster. Considered playing with raspberry pi but haven't found a good use for it to invest the time to learn it.