G_T808 ANH AM 4.5 first build

G_T808

Aloha,

I just received my kit from Dave yesterday. My first challenge so far is just trying to make sense of what is what. I have everything laid out in my living room on towels while I figure out what each part is. Being a mechanic, I have access to a lot of tools but I did order quite a few others including lexan scissors and small magnets. I’m definitely feeling mildly intimidated as I’ve never done anything like this but Ive been on the forums nonstop. Looking forward to this challenge even if it may take a while.

Mahalo :)

FAE3898F-293D-4CC3-90CD-FE2AD582C611.jpeg

• Like 3

Exciting times, remember research is the key, measure twice and cut once, when in doubt check out the gallery sections https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Good luck with the build

• Like 2

While I wait for some of my other supplies, I am attempting to assemble the helmet. I’ve been watching Eric’s videos and also a recent post from Dave. I know many have said this but the asymmetry is messing with me haha. So far all I have is the brow and I’m working on test fitting the face piece. I noticed there’s a large gap on the right side of the helmet down by the tube. I will attempt to clamp it and see if it lines up before drilling any holes. 

B2D6FEED-767D-4953-980D-A0732E39DCB6.jpeg

9457A623-5C35-44F0-93A6-3CE79C451BCA.jpeg

DF4562CC-CEEA-4175-9DCE-E8CE7334E91A.jpeg

If you have a look on your ear pieces you may notice that they have 3 marked holes for drilling. This is where the screws go through. If you screw the ears on, the different plastic layers are pulled together and the gaps nearly disappear. Anyway that seam will be covered by the earpieces later.
the 3 markings are also on the outer shell of your helmet:

grafik.png

The hardest part is to trim the ear pieces, so they fit smoothly around the tubes. I used sandpaper to achieve that. Take your time, measure twice. ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ripper_L said:

If you have a look on your ear pieces you may notice that they have 3 marked holes for drilling. This is where the screws go through. If you screw the ears on, the different plastic layers are pulled together and the gaps nearly disappear. Anyway that seam will be covered by the earpieces later.
the 3 markings are also on the outer shell of your helmet:

grafik.png

The hardest part is to trim the ear pieces, so they fit smoothly around the tubes. I used sandpaper to achieve that. Take your time, measure twice. ;)

Thank you I appreciate it. I wasn’t sure so I just drilled the one hole to temporarily fit the face piece. I was originally going to try and follow Eric’s advice and trim the lower section of the back but since I’m not entirely confident in where the cut is supposed to be I’ll likely just stick with the mold dimples. 

Sometimes the mold dimples don't fit perfectly, it might be better to start with the ear pieces. clamp them on and then drill through all 3 layers. :)

you can keep the one screw you already have.

• Like 1

I'm just getting started and more than a little overwhelmed by all the decisions.   So far I built the thermal detonator, and I cut out the eye holes and teeth from the helmet. 

Every time I start on anything else, where to cut and how far to trim gets really vague as the YT video guys zoom through their 22nd build and don't seem to agree with each other.

With RS Props armor, I don't relish the idea of having to order new pieces from them.

Also, measure once, cut three times.   :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FTL900 said:

I'm just getting started and more than a little overwhelmed by all the decisions.   So far I built the thermal detonator, and I cut out the eye holes and teeth from the helmet. 

Every time I start on anything else, where to cut and how far to trim gets really vague as the YT video guys zoom through their 22nd build and don't seem to agree with each other.

With RS Props armor, I don't relish the idea of having to order new pieces from them.

Also, measure once, cut three times.   :smiley-sw013:

Yeah I’m taking this build very slow as it’s my first go. Honestly flipping through the build threads has helped me a lot but I’m still unsure as to how everything is supposed to fit. I have  massive hands so the forearms are going to be a challenge for me. 

2 hours ago, G_T808 said:

Update on the helmet, I’ve been working on cutting the teeth. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find the correct paints so I may have to order those as well.

I know you can find paints on ebay or trooperbay stocks them https://trooperbay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=humbrol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G_T808 said:

Yeah I’m taking this build very slow as it’s my first go. Honestly flipping through the build threads has helped me a lot but I’m still unsure as to how everything is supposed to fit. I have  massive hands so the forearms are going to be a challenge for me. 

You are at the right place to ask the questions, this is a build thread so ask as many as you want. I personally remember the anxiety of making a wrong cut or decision, but the good news is almost every "goof" is fixable or you have the option to order a new replacement piece (and practice on the old piece). I screwed up the cuts in the calfs and had to order new pieces, but I figured out what I did wrong and the second set was perfect.

As to the hands, get out the blue painters tape (or whatever you have) and mock it up. I have wondered about using magnets to close up the sides (maybe something to think about).

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Lou

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LTM said:

You are at the right place to ask the questions, this is a build thread so ask as many as you want. I personally remember the anxiety of making a wrong cut or decision, but the good news is almost every "goof" is fixable or you have the option to order a new replacement piece (and practice on the old piece). I screwed up the cuts in the calfs and had to order new pieces, but I figured out what I did wrong and the second set was perfect.

As to the hands, get out the blue painters tape (or whatever you have) and mock it up. I have wondered about using magnets to close up the sides (maybe something to think about).

Lou

Thank you! I can’t express how grateful I am for how awesome this community is :)

These are the colors you need:

Satin Black:     Humbrol # 85  or   Testors # 1747 or Revell #9 or Tamiya #X18 or RAL 9005 for vocoder, trap/ tear drop/ear bar outlines/stripe(s), ROTJ and ESB frown, TD screw heads.

Gray:               Humbrol # 5   or     Testors # 1138  for trap/tear drop/ear bar background, ANH frown and ab-buttons.

French Blue:   Humbrol # 14  or    Testors # 2715  or Revell #52 or Tamiya #X4 or RAL 5010 ForTube stripes/ab buttons.

(Mediterranean Blue   Humbrol  (Tube stripes alternative color)  Testors:  No exact match)

Gloss white   for all rivet heads (excluding cod rivet).

Mediterranean Blue is optional, doesn't have to be. Most people use the French Blue for everything Blue.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:51 AM, LTM said:

Lou

That's exactly where I'm at... get everything out,. watch 2 different YT videos on the same subject, get an unclear or contradicting answer, put it all back away.    
I'm trying really hard NOT to screw up any cuts and have to reorder from the UK, but in doing so, I'm pretty much paralyzed in inaction.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 8:08 AM, FTL900 said:

That's exactly where I'm at... get everything out,. watch 2 different YT videos on the same subject, get an unclear or contradicting answer, put it all back away.    
I'm trying really hard NOT to screw up any cuts and have to reorder from the UK, but in doing so, I'm pretty much paralyzed in inaction.

Yeah, that's sort of where I am at right now. I may have goofed big time on the helmet as I was using a reference picture that may not be correct and my eyesight is not the greatest. I'm attempting to see if there is anyone nearby to assist me or to give me a physical example of what I should be doing. I'm taking this as a learning experience and still look forward to completing my armor to the best of my ability.

On 1/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, Ripper_L said:

These are the colors you need:

Satin Black:     Humbrol # 85  or   Testors # 1747 or Revell #9 or Tamiya #X18 or RAL 9005 for vocoder, trap/ tear drop/ear bar outlines/stripe(s), ROTJ and ESB frown, TD screw heads.

Gray:               Humbrol # 5   or     Testors # 1138  for trap/tear drop/ear bar background, ANH frown and ab-buttons.

French Blue:   Humbrol # 14  or    Testors # 2715  or Revell #52 or Tamiya #X4 or RAL 5010 ForTube stripes/ab buttons.

(Mediterranean Blue   Humbrol  (Tube stripes alternative color)  Testors:  No exact match)

Gloss white   for all rivet heads (excluding cod rivet).

Mediterranean Blue is optional, doesn't have to be. Most people use the French Blue for everything Blue.

Would the Testors #1139 work in place of #1747? I've been having issues finding 1747 and was wondering if this guide was correct?

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

On 1/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, FTL900 said:

I learned the best place to get advice and figure out how to do your build is here. Follow peoples threads. You can use YouTube to see how certain little things can be done. But ultimately FISD is going to be your main help on your build. Definitely going to be ups and downs with your build. Try your best to do something productive on it as often as possible. You'll be done in no time bud.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, G_T808 said:

Would the Testors #1139 work in place of #1747? I've been having issues finding 1747 and was wondering if this guide was correct?

Yes that would work

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 2:08 AM, FTL900 said:

Research is the key, there is a lot of information on these forums, the search function works quite well, also when in doubt ask or check the gallery sections, photos don't lie ;) 

• Like 1

Quick update: 

During my free time I’ve been cutting out the return edges on the forearms and going to start fitting them. It’s going to be a challenge to trim it correctly to both fit my forearms and my massive hands. I may attempt to do some form of Velcro or magnetic closures.

edit: I’m also trying to figure out Imgur so I can continue uploading pictures of the progress

Edited by G_T808