Doomhammer's TLJ FOTK KB Props Build

Doomhammer

Hi there

I introduced myself here at the beginning of the year and am finally ready to start building. After a lot of research, I am still facing with some questions that came up during the build. I don't know how regularly I get to work on it, but try to keep you updated.

A good 90% of the parts are already trimmed and progressing slowly but relatively well (i hope so).

qLI6K8L.jpg

Fortunately, I can use my brother's workshop (a 10-minute walk away)

5v2fgz2.jpgsP3r8CE.jpgcr2SImo.jpg

first test and have to cut a bit more and don't really sure how to connect the back and the front. Unfortunately the front ends in the ab box...

8oMldZU.jpgeXqiD77.jpg

Today I temporary connected the biceps and they are as big as my thigh. I have to bend it somehow, it is way too big.

Next step is fitting the Thighs, Shins and much more...

I'll take more (detailed) pictures in the future, I've just started.

Happy Holidays everyone and greetings from Germany

• Like 1

Looking good so far, when in doubt check our gallery sections, lots of great references there https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/20-fotk-reference/

So today i trimmed and fixed a few parts

3njTs4z.jpgYqWrkM1.jpg87BJTGS.jpghVWZv2R.jpgXWVqCgq.jpgED0AMMf.jpg6IxtX1p.jpgFFeWFZt.jpgcLkZKRF.jpgO0VhqFL.jpg

I thought of cutting out the red marked to make it easier to put on and to attach the TD with Velcro and magnets. What do you think?

me84MwI.jpg

3L8ZFbj.jpguuPBPRI.jpgzYEVUco.jpgYCuDrCz.jpg

Does the shins and thights have a return edge  (top/bottom) or not? can't really tell from the references.

Thats it so far... 

I'm pretty sure KB has updated a few parts in his kits, one being a TLJ specific cod, which are slightly different in shape to the TLJ

Here is some comparisons of the cods

NUKrHzf.jpg

Also the insides of the forearms a cut a little differently

f3dCIqu.png

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: Regarding the cod piece, a member of the German garrison told me that the TFA cod piece would be fine for a basic approval. I will decide to use that first and look for the TLJ cod later, as I am aiming for EIB status (if i don't mess up).

so i started to work my way from "Head to toes" :D

4yW3rZY.jpg

I've already cut out the small middle part

J0WbdNG.jpg

C7xBc2f.jpg

Quick test, what it would look like.

XFkPlrh.jpgUw8auy7.jpgYNrpjLy.jpg

krNRKFy.jpg

My Plan is, to drill holes for the small rubber bands. But not sure if these are strong enough, so looking for an alternative.

vIyjqyK.jpg

Edited by Doomhammer
information added

yesterday I continued to supply some parts with ABS paste to close gaps. When it dried and can be processed, it is sanded and puttied again at ...
lRqNIOc.jpg
IpNaQE0.jpg

a7uHXTj.jpg
deSudS9.jpg?3

Wearing it feels good so far. I fixed the back of the torso with magnets to see if it fits the size. Could be made a little narrower, but I still have to think carefully about how to close it at the back (with the TD). Brilliant as I am, I forgot to photograph the back :rolleyes:
rN1kY8H.jpg

LmmZZhd.jpg

rxfmRbv.jpg
4ttP2YJ.jpg
Wjlaf1k.jpg 

I trimmed the TD and have to adjust it in time, which I will do as soon as I have a plan on how to solve the torso.
CBvdz0i.jpg

Upper body rests a little, continue with the legs

With the thighs, I'm still unsure how to adjust them or whether I have to cut something ...
NZ1Ycrp.jpg FEtDibI.jpg

The shins (and spats ...)
right leg (spats a bit too tight)

WIMhCq0.jpgzi8CqR1.jpg

wNlhU5Y.jpg

zPULi3u.jpg

left leg (spats very large)

LmmgIlU.jpg

81NKlIq.jpg

PIPRYrL.jpg
OPrxmKf.jpg

0g0EdrX.jpg

I did a lot of research, looked at WIPS and measured it several times ... unfortunately all of this doesn't help if you, for whatever reason, write down the measurements upside down and glue the parts together incorrectly ... In the meantime, almost everything has been fixed again.
Therefore the progress is manageable

gotxv77.jpg

right Thigh

p10GQpG.jpg

F25JBah.jpg

the inner seam will be velcroed later.

right shin

ObqlXSl.jpg

N2irvf5.jpg

unfortunetaly a stress fracture during test fitting

x1QAjv1.jpg

had to glue in a reinforcement, hope it can be saved ...

sanded the shoulder bell and marked for later attachement

WQxmOiT.jpg

J9Ai9o9.jpgiIuxdTX.jpg

the pauldron will be attached witch magnets later

0LxLr5O.jpg

SJI2i7J.jpg

kiiRcd2.jpg

Maybe someone can help me. I trimmed the spats and tried them on. One is too long and I have to shorten it, the other is clearly too small. Does it have to be closed flush or may a gap remain? The gap would be (way) bigger than in the picture. 

YePiQoo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to highlight the indentations on the yoke more clearly and cut them into thirds. The distance between the indentations is about 4mm and, after drying, the upper and lower areas must be filled with ABS paste.A4aFsD2.jpgneBBniZ.jpg

TLlbMNo.jpg

The magnets on the abdomen are now finally fixed and it can be buckled on easily. To wear it, it will held with a suspender as soon as the TD is adjusted and I know how it looks . Tried to to shape the TD so that it rests better.

80NDSSw.jpg

6g8YKpQ.jpgHDtdzhr.jpg

At the moment I'm still sitting on the left shin with the spat, right thigh to get the (Ddan's) holster in place.

AZzqYRX.jpg

the greeblie on the Forearms looks kind of small or is it right that theres a gap towards the elbow?

FIoSnev.jpg

nBY0K7B.jpg

I have to get used to taking a few more photos of the work steps.
Will check the other WIPS again before my next visit the workshop ...

See you next time

Edited by Doomhammer

So easy to miss taking photos when your are too busy building, coming along nicely.

Forearm reference

small.untitled8.png.f4b2eb91374f64fe41e7small.untitledggggg.png.6d2eeb6aff2d52e4

• 2 weeks later...

I have adjusted the spats as far as possible, fine tuning is still missing, so that the upper edge is straight.

dGpalKO.jpg

mImQGXr.jpg

P08DmJO.jpg

At first I only put on the boxes from the left Shin for optics. since they should lie on seamlessly, they still have to be sanded a little.

IQe4Sqm.jpgUznLEuS.jpg

To attach the holster I made a construction of ABS scraps and Chicago screws ... will follow in the next post with further progress.

At this point, thank you very much for your feedback! I appreciate it very much :duim:

• 2 weeks later...

Today, for the first time, I wore everything at the same time. I noticed that it still has to be reworked in some places for freedom of movement (can't take off the helmet on my own).

9HzFNSn.jpg

pQ5EZcx.jpg

L3lb8TO.jpg

q9pxtEn.jpg

LK96CRB.jpg

huEq3pV.jpg

rJw3JpA.jpg

s0zMBdI.jpg

Then a misfortune happened when I tried to attach the boxes to the left shin ... :6:

Ymak5VW.jpg

For whatever reason it broke right there where I spread the ABS paste between the box and the shin (suddenly seemed brittle). Hasn't happened to me before with the ABS paste and I can't explain it to myself. Now I have to save it somehow or, in the worst case, look for a replacement...

Then I prepared the boxes for the abdomen and have to gain some distance. 

hmWLG86.jpg

6iRR6Nu.jpg

I'm a little upset that it happened and have to get over it, before something goes wrong because of  the mood.

You may find the plastic was a little too thin, having a solvent in the ABS paste can soften areas and it can melt right through, I used bondo (automotive filler) in places which needed to be filled.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Doomhammer said:

Then a misfortune happened when I tried to attach the boxes to the left shin ... :6:

Ymak5VW.jpg

For whatever reason it broke right there where I spread the ABS paste between the box and the shin (suddenly seemed brittle). Hasn't happened to me before with the ABS paste and I can't explain it to myself. Now I have to save it somehow or, in the worst case, look for a replacement...

I'm a little upset that it happened and have to get over it, before something goes wrong because of  the mood.

I think you can save it Ian.

If you have some scrap ABS you can use it to create a backing patch to go inside the shin. Then fill that melted recess  with Bondo and sand it smooth.

If you have no scrap, you can buy A4 size sheets of 1 mm thick HIPS on ebay which I have found very hands to reinforce the back of cracks in my armour. because it's thin it curves and bends easily and I usually use CA glue to bond it behind the surface that needs repair.

You got this.

• 1 month later...

Finally I'm back...

I was able to "save" the shin and have to continue filling and sanding. I had saome ABS scraps to backing the hole and filled with bondo

RHaOQFf.jpg

Getting dressed is really an art in itself and it's not really comfy yet. I can't put the helmet on myself and my arms get something abvoe my chest that I can only adopt the typical C3PO posture :lol:

The biceps are still hanging too low and the shoulderbell caught under them.

oBl6OxD.jpg

I have to shorten the thighs because they hit the cod and I think they should sit higher.

C8xxHmm.jpg

The TD is not correctly centered , so has to check the bracket again.

8wroARl.jpg

EiiQM3F.jpg

I want to connect the cod and the backplate with a black rubber so that they don't stick out.

Seems farther from the target than originally thought. Little baby steps, but at least steps at all and it's still exciting and entertaining to build and find solutions!

Edited by Doomhammer

I think you will find your cod needs to come up more, you shouldn't have to trim the thighs at this stage.

Also run an elastic strap between the cod and butt plate, will help stop the butt plate flaring backwards.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb gmrhodes13:

Also run an elastic strap between the cod and butt plate, will help stop the butt plate flaring backwards.

Thats what I meant with "...connect the cod and the backplate with a black rubber...".  I wrote and translated it weird

Zitat

I think you will find your cod needs to come up more, you shouldn't have to trim the thighs at this stage.

Ok thank you, will give it a try.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Am 20.5.2021 um 06:14 schrieb indiechixor:

I just wanted to mention, I’m in the process of making a TLJ KB Phasma, so watching your progress with great interest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, it is my first (ever) build and hope its correct and helpful.

So, I had some time again and could continue to work.

I puttied the left shin.

HmIakbA.jpg

9Pwqlbw.jpg

With the upper body I tried to achieve more mobility and to optimize the overall appearance.

Xcr6T9m.jpg

DQkQJn6.jpg

lbnrzXy.jpg

fzwPCnD.jpg

Sr7PRaP.jpg

The chest and back are fairly tight and chafe as you move. I attached some foam from the inside (temporarily) to prevent this.

Jpx8GM1.jpg

KC3BCyz.jpg

RqRHbl0.jpg

zYvccgQ.jpg

The TD will be glued on and then the seams filled (grammar?:huh:)

ENT2d9d.jpguiDPj2i.jpg

The belt boxes are cut to size and (in my opinion) finished so far. Maybe adjust a bit?

LGlYQTS.jpg

73SZLqM.jpg

GwPLnFC.jpg

A lot of time was spent filling and sanding...

• Like 1