Doesn't get more NEWBIE than this!

boochamp

Hey everyone! I'm brand stinking new here and just excited to get going on my build. Just wanted to say Hi and get any help, advice from all you seasoned TK's. I've ALWAYS wanted to do this but have only just recently found myself with the time and SOME of the money to get started. Just looking for the best, economical way to go about an awesome build. Thanks for any/all of the help and advice! happy to be here!

• Like 4

Hello and welcome aboard, a great starting point is the "Getting Started" section, also check out this very useful thread

• Like 3

Welcome to the true home of shiny white armor, Zach!  After you decide which type of costume you would like (we have 18 types as seen here), then you choose your armorer.  I suggest staying well clear of ebay and the like and going with one of the "vetted" armorers here.  Trust me on this..

This site can seem a bit overwhelming with the amount of info. available but after some research and poking around you be navigating it like a pro in no time!   Always, always feel free to ask any and all questions you may have.  It's what we are here for!

• Like 2

Welcome to the FISD.  Check out the links provide above - there is a lot of great info on how to choose the right kit for you (budget, body shape, location).  I would stick with the vetted list of vendors... but if you find something else online and want an opinion, feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Welcome to the true home of shiny white armor, Zach!  After you decide which type of costume you would like (we have 18 types as seen here), then you choose your armorer.  I suggest staying well clear of ebay and the like and going with one of the "vetted" armorers here.  Trust me on this..

This site can seem a bit overwhelming with the amount of info. available but after some research and poking around you be navigating it like a pro in no time!   Always, always feel free to ask any and all questions you may have.  It's what we are here for!

Welcome Zach!

I feel comfortable saying we all began about where you are now. Either online, on our own, with a mentor, or here.. you already made the first choice of coming here and posting. Keep doing that! Ask questions. This community wants more troopers. The I formation and willingness is abundant!! Take advantage of that.

Just as Joseph said, there’s a lot and can seem overwhelming. First piece of advice from me... take your time!! Decide 3 times before action.
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, boochamp said:

Hey everyone! I'm brand stinking new here and just excited to get going on my build. Just wanted to say Hi and get any help, advice from all you seasoned TK's. I've ALWAYS wanted to do this but have only just recently found myself with the time and SOME of the money to get started. Just looking for the best, economical way to go about an awesome build. Thanks for any/all of the help and advice! happy to be here!

Lots of reasearch and helpful people here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boochamp said:

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the advice! I've been looking at a few different armorers and would be curious who you all have used and had good or bad experiences with? Thanks!

If you purchase from the "vetted sellers" list generally there are no issues, although things can be held up in shipping and on the rare occasion a part may be missing.

Personally I've purchased from ATA without issue

• Like 1

Welcome, and I'll echo what several of the others have said, take your time, do some research (as you are doing now), and use the approved vendor list as the majority of those are vetted and have positive feedback from members of the FISD.

I will say to make sure when talking to the vendors, you get an idea of the size of the armor. I went with one that has a good reputation and the armor is solid (ATA Works), but I didn't know the armor was meant for someone under 6' and less than 200 lbs. At 6'2" and 250lbs, my armor looks a bit small on me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger on my armor! Super stoked and it should be here end of January. What would you all recommend I do while I wait? Is there a good list of where to find the other items? Gloves, boots, straps, black shirt/pants, lenses for the helmet, etc? Thanks!

58 minutes ago, boochamp said:

Scratch that. I just saw gmrhodes13's post up above! What an awesome resource. Thanks for posting that. Any advice though on what to focus on while I wait for the armor?

Here's another great thread 

• Like 1