Hello from Florida

tk-roamer

Hello, I'm a total n00b and appreciate your inputs.  We love Star Wars but perhaps not as devoted or well versed as many in these forums.  We've wanted to join the 501st for years to enjoy the charity work and socialization, but military assignments have made that tough until we found a group here in Tampa.  Hubby and I enjoy history, so doing research is not a deal breaker.  I'm 5'3, active military with limited sewing skills and time.  Hubby is 5'10, a rock star military spouse who stays home with our pre-schooler and is reasonably handy but never worked with ABS.  

In military fashion, here's where I'm hoping the Detachment can help(1) what sources would be good for hubby (28" thighs, 20" calves, 36-38" waist), (2) is it worth trying to make this kit work for me (or hubby) or does it make more sense to push it on to a new owner and go with my original plan of imperial comms officer for me.  Additional thoughts and inputs are always appreciated.

We acquired a second-hand set of armor from an area 501st member for my hubby, with a few minor issues I think we can resolve to meet 501st standards.  He had another buyer lined up if our sale fell through, so we could connect with that buyer if it's a bust for us. Sizing is our chief concern--it was too small on his legs and big gaps on the torso; he never made it to the arm pieces, but I suspect they'd be too small for him.  Attached photo shows the fit on me with zero adjustments.  I think it's fine for the legs and arms, though my shorter torso may be a concern.  Not sure how much of that I can fix by adjusting parts. 

The helmet is pretty comfortable with an adjustable hard hat-style harness, microphone w/voice amplifier, and twin fans in the hovi-mic positions.  Visibility is good forward, but downward visibility is basically limited to tiny peeks through the mesh in the frown--I assume that's typical.  It's got 6 teeth in the frown, and the hand guards are pentagonal, so I think this is for ANH Hero Stormtrooper, and those are the standards I checked against.  The member we bought it from couldn't recall the make/mold, period is circa 2006 with modifications over time.  Possible concerns I found aside from sizing: The posterior armor and kidney plate seem conjoined like ROTJ vs 2 pieces for ANH, with what looks like a possible score line between them.  The abdomen armor is separate from the cod piece, which makes it very comfortable overall, but doesn't match the reference pictures on this site; you cannot tell with the way everything is joined.  The belt is all hard plastic - both the front piece and the piece that wraps all the way around.  I find this very comfortable and easy to work with, but all references seem to call for a canvas belt.  We know the gloves are wrong, and it's missing drop boxes and the thermal detonator (he wore a backpack).  I like the patina as it looks battle worn.  

Happy to upload additional photos if it helps better assess, particularly if you can advise on what to zoom in on.

tk-roamer.jpg

Edited by tk-roamer

Hello and welcome to the forums, you could add some photos in the "pre approval" area to get some feedback ;)

Also check out the CRL's (costume reference library)  which contain the basic requirements for costume approval https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Photos needed, front, side, back, side and close up of helmet

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/193-request-tk-pre-approval/

Hi Jennifer and welcome to the FISD.

Glen's link to the pre-approval area seems like the best way to start.

With more photos at higher resolution some experts here will be able to help determine, if this armor needs corrections / adjustments and if it's worth to go through that.

Welcome to the FISD, Jennifer!  Sizing down armor can be easier than you think, and we are here to help.  In looking at the extensive black "weathering" it looks as if you have armor that was used for a Heavy Weapons Trooper (example here) but I find it odd that the kidney is connected to the posterior plate as in ROTJ armor.

Christine (Cricket) has what I consider to be the best build thread for the smaller trooper located here.  She built from scratch, but I'm sure you can adapt the methods.

Your husband is another matter.  Because of his size, his best bet would be to get a new set of armor from one of our "vetted" vendors that offer them in larger sizes such as AM, TM or RT.  Their details and contact info. can be found here.

Posting as many detailed photos of the armor (both individual pieces** and wearing it) will help us determine the best way to proceed, and always feel free to ask any questions you or your husband may have, and thank you for your service!  :salute:

** Don't forget close-ups of the helmet front/sides!

• Like 1

Hey Jennifer! Welcome to FISD, the Florida Garrison, and Tampa Bay Squad territory! I’m the Tampa Bay Squad Leader and we’ve got a large and active group of troopers here. If you haven’t done so already, register and introduce yourself on the FLG forum:

https://www.fl501st.com/index.html

We also have a new recruits and builds page group on Facebook where you can get lots of help and meet squad members:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1911572342476326/?ref=share

Hope to meet you soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@justjoseph63 great eye. The Heavy Weapons Trooper CRL also explains the backpack, orange pauldron, absence of drop boxes and thermal detonator, and of course heavy weathering. 

I started reading Cricket's thread and especially like the diagrams. Living in a townhouse with a youngling makes a suit build or substantial mods a challenge, so TBD if we'll work on that suit for me or if I'll serve in a support role for Harry (aka Mr. Jennifer to @Harder) for a while. 

We're an easy drive to Dave's Darkside Depot, and we like his customer service and options so we're headed that route for Harry. 

@WhiteWalker, thank you for the warm welcome. I registered on the FL501st board and posted an intro, checked a few other posts. Just got my approval for the FB group.

Didn't get the photos tonight, maybe later this week if I get off before 6.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tk-roamer said:

We're an easy drive to Dave's Darkside Depot, and we like his customer service and options so we're headed that route for Harry.

Dave is an awesome vendor and his customer service is second to none.  AM is built like a tank (my HWT and Stunt are AM) and even after many years has stood the test of time with no cracks or yellowing,

We need to say thank you for taking the time to dawn the armor, take pictures, host, link, create the post.

Yes. FX armor looks great. But I’m happy to see you’re looking at a build or buy again.

What are your thoughts at this point.

Hi Harry!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @illusionz_09.

@Harder, the FX armor found a home where it will be displayed. I decided to go line officer (olive) for myself (thanks to all the IOC team who helped). I made our young one a foamtrooper costume so she can be like daddy. TBD when she'll wear the whole thing long enough for me to get some photos.

• Like 2