Swannee's New FISD Build - Stunt or Hero

CT 1977

7 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Thanks, guys...I really appreciate your taking the time to get back to me. Paul, I like that reasoning and makes sense. I'll likely take that route too. Glen, I will definitely go through all those tutorials. A question on the ears - I just had a thought that I have to assume I'm not the first one to think of this but has anyone ever used white bathroom caulk to close up the gaps that inevitably show up? I imagine matching the white would probably be the hardest part.  

I've seen a couple of people use it in the past but it's not something I recommend, can look quite messy and it's not screen accurate, it's perfectly fine to have some gaps as the screen helmets did

6 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've seen a couple of people use it in the past but it's not something I recommend, can look quite messy and it's not screen accurate, it's perfectly fine to have some gaps as the screen helmets did

Thanks, Glen! Kinda figured that was the case but I wanted to ask. I've seen that gaps are expected, even in the movies!! 

• Like 1

I haven't yet gone through my entire BBB from ATA Works...I have to say/admit I'm a bit intimidated by it but what see from a cursory perspective is quality. I also have two pairs of ears as reported earlier which is a bit of a relief. I'll be taking my time in working the armor so as to read all the advice. I know I'll be working the bucket first as that seems to be the most intricate. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

I haven't yet gone through my entire BBB from ATA Works...I have to say/admit I'm a bit intimidated by it but what see from a cursory perspective is quality. I also have two pairs of ears as reported earlier which is a bit of a relief. I'll be taking my time in working the armor so as to read all the advice. I know I'll be working the bucket first as that seems to be the most intricate. 

All of us were in your feet one day.  Take your time, one tip, what  I did was to watch, once and again,  some video tutorials on YouTube. That helped me to have and idea of how to do things.

When you have started and  have a doubt, stop, review, ask before any cut, you will do it mate!!    :peace:

Like Mario has mentioned above, not many if any come to this hobby experienced in assembling TK armour. The first cut is always the hardest but everything gets easier as you progress and learn new skills.

By the end of it, you have the ultimate satisfaction in knowing you built your armour to fit you perfectly, and you will take pride in instructing others when they start their journey.

You got this Bill.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

All of us were in your feet one day.  Take your time, one tip, what  I did was to watch, once and again,  some video tutorials on YouTube. That helped me to have and idea of how to do things.

When you have started and  have a doubt, stop, review, ask before any cut, you will do it mate!!    :peace:

That's great info, especially taking my time. I figure it'll be like any new project that once I get started i'll get a bit more comfortable with the process. I'll check out You Tube for sure. I've been mostly looking through all the great tutorials in these forums, they've been really helpful. Thanks!

• Like 1

I'll be starting on my faceplate and helmet this weekend and I've been looking over all the great tutorials so I feel comfortable now with all the help that's out there. My question to everyone is that I've seen a couple ways to make the cuts - 1. exacto knife, score and snap   2. Dremel with the proper cutting attachment. If anyone has a preference and can share, I'd love to read about it and learn from it. Thanks in advance.

Score and snap works for a lot of thinner material but I find ATA is quite thick in comparison so I use a Dremel (knock off brand). I use 3 each with a different tip, nothing worse than having to change tips when you are on a building roll. Cutting disc, drum sanding roller a drill bit.

4 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Mario, very interesting. I've got a set of those (right & left) from my duct working days (a millenia ago) but that looks like a neutral which would probably be better. Thanks!

Yes, that image  is for reference only, mine is right hand , but it depends on the user.  B)

On 2/24/2021 at 12:47 AM, Sly11 said:

Like Mario has mentioned above, not many if any come to this hobby experienced in assembling TK armour. The first cut is always the hardest but everything gets easier as you progress and learn new skills.

By the end of it, you have the ultimate satisfaction in knowing you built your armour to fit you perfectly, and you will take pride in instructing others when they start their journey.

You got this Bill.

Funny story, Andrew. I used to race off-road triathlon & mountain bikes and would build my own bikes. I also travel for my job and was coming out out of a hotel just outside Washington DC and saw a bunch of Army guys admiring my bike. When I came and they asked me about I told them I built and they were impressed. I said its kinda like the Jedi building their own light sabers before going into battle and they all got a good laugh. So, yeah, I understand the idea of getting the satisfaction, but dealing in such fine detail...still intimidating but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I figure by the time I'm done, we'll all be back to normal life and I can join in some "field activities" with the detachment.