Swannee's New FISD Build - Stunt or Hero

CT 1977

ATA is a solid armor, my first kit lasted 7 years with minimal issues, now converted to a Sandtrooper, second ATA kit going strong.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

A great thread full of info 

2 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Just got confirmation I'm on the waiting list now from ATA. Apparently a shortage of plastic is causing a backlog...so it looks like "patience cadet" is the term for now.

Great news, hopefully you won't have to wait long, gives you some time to research and get some tools together ;) 

2 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

...oh yeah and thanks for the info thread. Looks like it's going to be really helpful.

:salute:

Welcome, Bill!  As Glen mentioned, ATA makes an awesome set of armor and is known for great customer service.  As for which route to go (Stunt or Hero) there are some distinct differences, like the number of ear screws, number of teeth openings, frown paint style,  and number of bumps on the ear bars.  If you are (hopefully)aiming for higher levels of approval/accuracy the eye lenses are also different.

The holster straps have different requirements for the number of fasteners as well.

To see all the differences, here are some links that will help you make your decision:

ANH Stunt CRL

ANH Hero CRL

Quick CRL Reference Guide (lots of photos)

Never be shy about asking questions (no matter how small).  We are here to help you with anything you need to know!

• Like 1

Hey guys,

All great info and I've referenced those two pages numerous times but to my extremely novice eye, I can't see the differences although I do know that those differences are important.

ATA apparently only makes Stunt kits and I'd like to make sure that since I'll be investing much time and money, I want to do this as effectively as possible. Meaning that it will take me as far as I can go...so, is the Stunt or the Hero the best route to go with all that in mind?

Also, I'm having a really tough time navigating these forums. I've got some messages I've exchanged with a trooper in my area (James and he's an attache) that he's provided some great information that I wanted to keep to reference it but now I can't find it. When I go to my "Messages" via the link at top right, my messages are empty. 

There was a great thread of getting started and I can't seem to find my way back to there, either. I'm usually pretty good with navigating but I'm pretty lost here and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

..so, is the Stunt or the Hero the best route to go with all that in mind?

The most popular costume in the entire Legion is ANH Stunt.  The main physical difference in the actual helmets are the distinct "bumps" on the ear bars.  If you are only aiming for Basic approval, 4 is fine for Hero, but if you are heading for Expert Infantry level and above or want screen accuracy the ear bars must have 3 bumps. ***

1yAKKyC.jpg    Xi6Y4nX.jpg?1

All things considered, Stunt is the way I would go for your first build as your ATA kit will have all the necessary armor pieces for this.

***Useless trivia:  It is widely thought that the Hero ears have only 3 bumps because the molds for these were pretty much shot after pulling 50 sets of them in HDPE for the Stunt helmets.  The 6 Hero Hero (made for "close-up" shots of Han and Luke) ones were made from ABS.

11 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

ATA apparently only makes Stunt kits and I'd like to make sure that since I'll be investing much time and money, I want to do this as effectively as possible. Meaning that it will take me as far as I can go...so, is the Stunt or the Hero the best route to go with all that in mind?

ATA used to offer both Stunt and Hero ears (if you asked)  so you may want to check, as well as only 3 bumps on the ears there are only 2 screws on Hero ears, one top one bottom, also bubble lenses which are a little harder to see out of ;) 

I converted an ATA Stunt to Hero some time ago BUT it is certainly much easier building the kit to Stunt

You can find a break down of the OTTK differences here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

• 1 month later...

okay, so it looks like I'll be going with the Stunt and I want to make it look as screen ready as possible. I just go word from AKA Works that he just got the plastic in so should be shipping by the end of the month. I've already got dremels (two different ones) drills and bits, etc. so I'll be coming back here frequently once the Big Brown Box arrives.

• Like 1

Great news, looking forward to seeing those BBB photos.

While waiting make sure you do some research, you can pick a lot up looking at others build threads, also look at the EIB and Centurion areas, those members have been approved at L2 and L3 so you know their armors are spot on ;) 

3 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

I was just informed by ATA Works that my armor is ready to ship...I just wanted to double check and make sure that ATA Works is good for their word and good armor. Any thoughts, experience with them?

Hi Bill.  I'm currently building my first set of TK stunt armor and went with ATA back in September of last year.  My experience with ATA was great, no hitches.  Received my BBB within 3-4 days after it shipped.  Everything accounted for inside the boxes.  Nice quality, thick ABS...count me as a satisfied customer! :duim:

Hi Paul, that's great news and thanks for letting me know and putting my mind to rest. I'm looking forward to my build and especially getting out with the rest of the troopers and having some "Imperial" fun, once this pandemic is in our rear view's.

BTW - nice Boba helmet!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, TKSpartan said:

Hi Bill.  This thread could be so helpful and you can come here when needed.  check it out.  :salute:

Yeah, this is a great resource. I just bookmarked it for quick reference. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:48 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome, Bill!  As Glen mentioned, ATA makes an awesome set of armor and is known for great customer service.  As for which route to go (Stunt or Hero) there are some distinct differences, like the number of ear screws, number of teeth openings, frown paint style,  and number of bumps on the ear bars.  If you are (hopefully)aiming for higher levels of approval/accuracy the eye lenses are also different.

The holster straps have different requirements for the number of fasteners as well.

To see all the differences, here are some links that will help you make your decision:

ANH Stunt CRL

ANH Hero CRL

Quick CRL Reference Guide (lots of photos)

Never be shy about asking questions (no matter how small).  We are here to help you with anything you need to know!

Another great resource page! Thanks!

On 2/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, Cali_Nole said:

Hi Bill.  I'm currently building my first set of TK stunt armor and went with ATA back in September of last year.  My experience with ATA was great, no hitches.  Received my BBB within 3-4 days after it shipped.  Everything accounted for inside the boxes.  Nice quality, thick ABS...count me as a satisfied customer! :duim:

Hey Paul, I was just looking over your build and was highly impressed...very good detail. I'll be following your build as you have good attention to detail but you've also got some really good input from others. My first question is...did you find it better to fit the facemask to the helmet before addressing the painting, lense installation, etc first. I was thinking of finishing the face first, working on the helmet second, then fitting them together but if its better to fit as you did, I'm good with that. Thoughts?

Hey Bill.  So my reasoning for fitting/mocking up the entire helmet prior to any painting was that with all the handling of the pieces I'd be doing, I didn't want any paint on there to scuff up or chip.  Started with mock up, then painting, then finished with lenses and frown mesh and Hovi tips.  I'm sure there are 101 different ways to go about it, but this worked for me and I'd more than likely do the same on the next one. 

• Like 2

Thanks, guys...I really appreciate your taking the time to get back to me. Paul, I like that reasoning and makes sense. I'll likely take that route too. Glen, I will definitely go through all those tutorials. A question on the ears - I just had a thought that I have to assume I'm not the first one to think of this but has anyone ever used white bathroom caulk to close up the gaps that inevitably show up? I imagine matching the white would probably be the hardest part.