What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

Thanks to my local Garrison for the suggestion on the screen mesh and the feedback here with the Detachment. Should help with exposure to being visible through the teeth. Went to Menards and found a roll of something called ScreenMend. Cut a section of it and sweated the install with a hair dryer. Was concerned with the heat next to the lens acetate and directly on the PVC of the lid. Next up, attempting to secure the IComm unit and Amp to the chest plate with Velcro. Any tips?

UEYVKV6.jpg

SXjGq6I.jpg

5oqVP9i.jpg

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 2

I double over min so it's even harder to see through

We have metal flyscreen mesh here so easy to fold oh and easy to find ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I double over min so it's even harder to see through

We have metal flyscreen mesh here so easy to fold oh and easy to find ;) 

I was considering that.  Didn't want to push my luck with the heat from the hair dryer on another piece.  I may.  Not sure.

• Like 1

Ok, so installing the Icomm voice communication system tonight. I applied some industrial strength velcro to both the Amp and Icomm unit. Applied the two to pretty much the only available area, inside the chest plate. The only fear I have is the audio being muffled by the velcro. We'll just have to see I guess. One thing I do need to pick up is a substatially reduced Output/Line in wire. I will inquire with Icomm to find if there is a reduced section available. The only wire left is going up into my lid for the mic. Untested for muffle as the speaker faces the plate/velcro.

WbZp9vi.jpg

lq5VLAG.jpg

SUxcXxz.jpg

uj72DyP.jpg

iPRVTqS.jpg

I glued a small angled piece of ABS just underneath both units to to help hold them up, less strain on the velcro ;) 

I have also seen Velcro used as a strap from top to bottom running vertically over the top of the units for additional security/stability  if you didn't want to glue angle brackets on the inside.

9 hours ago, Zinfer said:

Ok, so installing the Icomm voice communication system tonight. I applied some industrial strength velcro to both the Amp and Icomm unit. Applied the two to pretty much the only available area, inside the chest plate. The only fear I have is the audio being muffled by the velcro. We'll just have to see I guess. One thing I do need to pick up is a substatially reduced Output/Line in wire. I will inquire with Icomm to find if there is a reduced section available. The only wire left is going up into my lid for the mic. Untested for muffle as the speaker faces the plate/velcro.

Another option in case you need more: I made a little bracket from ABS which I bent on both sides and glued inside the ab section. The speaker then clips onto the middle section. There is also room in there for the extra cabling. When I had an icomm, it was velcroed onto a part of the bracket that was glued down.

ab-inside.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hupspring said:

Another option in case you need more: I made a little bracket from ABS which I bent on both sides and glued inside the ab section. The speaker then clips onto the middle section. There is also room in there for the extra cabling. When I had an icomm, it was velcroed onto a part of the bracket that was glued down.

ab-inside.jpg

You must be very slim and trim.  I am fighting for every bit of space in that ab section.  :) I haven't tried on the armor since I velcro'd in the chest.  Hoping that's not going to be a problem either.

Edited by Zinfer

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Icomm finished.  Next stop helmet fans and cooling.  Hope I can get my head in there when installed.  Still working on the diet.  Nice 2 hour bike ride Easter afternoon.

Edited by Zinfer

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the Troopacoola 2 fan unit, but I imagine it'll be a while with the Covid shipping to Ohio.  Next up is the final piece.  The E-11 Prop.  Which is better?  The Troopacoola or RS?  What say you CableGuy?

• Like 3

Good to see things are still moving along for you with this build.

Not long now and we shall see you as an approved 501st Stormtrooper, very exciting.

Ordered the Troopacoola 2 fan unit, but I imagine it'll be a while with the Covid shipping to Ohio.  Next up is the final piece.  The E-11 Prop.  Which is better?  The Troopacoola or RS?  What say you CableGuy?

Hi Rodney,

From what I’ve read, I think RS only sell their blaster with a full commission build. I don’t think it’s available on its own.

If you’re looking to build your own, TroopaCoola’s JMC E-11 kit is very detailed. Quest Designs Canada also made a nice resin kit. From what I’ve seen, the Quest Design model is a little more basic, however, the end result is still nice.

:-)

RS do sell them seperatly but currently out of stock, building it yourself always has a great feel to it but...If you like a finished product I can recommend Imperial Warfighters and their rubber E-11, You can find them on FB:)

Edited by TheSwede

Thanks guys!  Yea I am looking forward to having it all done.  But the hard part is the diet and squeezing completely into the clamshell yet.  Think I'm going to go for the TroopaCoola’s JMC E-11 kit  but still waiting for the fans to arrive yet.

Finished a primary install. I may end up redoing it as there are a couple things that came up during the install. Namely the Duracell PB 6700 puts the helmet a little off balance with placing it in the rear. I also had to flip the left fan upside down to get the same symmetry. I found that it does flow some breathable air but it's like a light breeze. Not cool, but enough to keep you from fogging up.

3WSC2yD.jpg

XmMra0S.jpg

1tgF5LI.jpg

pUZ7SSE.jpg

Maybe this needs reworked. Not sure that upside down fan will make any difference other than cosmetic. But weight is def on the back of the helmet. I suppose anywhere I put that PB is going to be heavy on that side. On the upside, despite it's heaviness it should last all day at full speed I guess. Wish battery technology were further along.

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Zinfer said:

Still trying to hit my target weight of 170-175 pounds.  So hard.

yeah it is hard, but you are still at it and that is certainly the most important factor here. You can do it Rodney and we will be here to cheer you on when you do.

• Like 1