What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

On 2/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, tat2trooper said:

Fans are a must have.

Esp. in your area. I've been Seattle the whole time and have never had them installed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

TE2 was def better fit.  The FX was just a tad short for you as you know, with the right shin.  :)  I'm sure alot more differences.  But looked great on you anyways.  Def a nice fit all around.

Yup, but for reference these are not TE2 shins which were even worse then the FX.  They are RT-Mod that were painted to match the TE2.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

Yea I definitely envy photos like that.  beautiful.

Truly, I do suggest a good photographer, even freelance.  It will cost some $$, but if you get some buddies to be part of the shoot you can decrease the cost. I'm really glad I had them taken when I did.

The ones with the book though I didn't pay for.  I was the "model" for that photo shoot and they were nice enough to give me copies of the test shots.  So I have a bunch of me in different poses, but the one for the advertisement is me simply holding up that huge book, which was so heavy I could only keep it at that angle for a short while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Yup, but for reference these are not TE2 shins which were even worse then the FX.  They are RT-Mod that were painted to match the TE2.

OMG lol.  Now that's some mixn'match stuff there.  :D

I’m in the U.K. so it’s rarely that hot here but I just got two pairs of fans for my TK & TX lids because as soon as I put my TK lid on with the balaclava - instant lens fog, I couldn’t see a thing. So, temperature aside - fans are good to have for that purpose too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Short4ATrooper said:

I’m in the U.K. so it’s rarely that hot here but I just got two pairs of fans for my TK & TX lids because as soon as I put my TK lid on with the balaclava - instant lens fog, I couldn’t see a thing. So, temperature aside - fans are good to have for that purpose too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea it started doing that for me.  I then start trying to hold my breath so I don't fog up.  Lol.

Being idle definitely builds up the fog and steam, normally moving around isn't too bad especially if there is a breeze, I've done a 39deg C troop outdoors and only needed the one fan, just feeling the air moving in front of your face makes you feel just a little cooler ;) 

• Like 1

How do you figure how long the butt strap should be?  I guess my butt plate is not being drawn in enough.  So I am proceeding to reduce the length of the strap by half to draw in the cod to butt.  Hopefully don't get it too tight or I'll have to replace the split rivet again.

I have several pieces of elastic with multiple snaps attached and spaced so it's easy to work out strapping length, trial and error

• Like 1

So, a couple things I needed to fix. First the butt plate was not being drawn in. So I reduced the strap by about half. That was then too far. So I settled on an inbetween spot and applied a brand new split rivet. The thing then I noticed after drawing it in, was that it chafing between my legs. Like, if I had to walk alot, which I would, that's going to be a problem. So I reduced the edge, rounding it off. Without trying it on again yet, I think that'll do fine.

LTO3I9k.jpg

wofDRXQ.jpg

aIIiwZ4.jpg

Second attention area was the helmet. Lot of slop inside, as was film original. They did in fact slop around alot. I installed some padding to try to limit this, but it was pretty futile. Removed the padding and applied a helmet liner with hot glue. Well, needless to say the hot glue was not very robust and would often just break away. So, removed and tried again today with E6000 and magnets. Unable to adjust the straps of the liner so I'll still have to use some padding to keep it higher on my head so that I at least have SOME neck in costume with which to look up, down, left and right without the bucket getting hung up on the chest/backplates and shoulder armor. Letting it sit overnight to cure before actually inserting the liner. Unfortunately during this process I seem to have lost my screw that retains the outer ear and inner lens acetate material. Ordered a supply of them. Last issue I'm aware of I'll look into tomorrow.

C0rGaMv.jpg

I found with some padding just in front of the ears stops any bobbing of the helmet, it also does away with the chin strap if padding is tight enough, tried one once and hated it.

• Like 1

I've found that the chin strap assists a bit with pulling the helmet UP and away from the armor of the backplate/chest and shoulders to a small degree.  I don't even have a neck in this armor. I'm using the original acetate material for the lenses, you must be using separate.  There' s not much UP you can do though as then you can't see out of the eyes very well, especially downward.  Delicate balance trying to get it just right.

Edited by Zinfer

8 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I found with some padding just in front of the ears stops any bobbing of the helmet, it also does away with the chin strap if padding is tight enough, tried one once and hated it.

I've got to be careful with the padding as it's just going to add to the heat the more I have.  Like I said, delicate balance.  I'll need to run to Menards or Lowe's see if I can find some foam just to test with before inserting the liner.  Only thing I have is the original foam flower that came with it.

Last fix that I am aware of. Replacement elastics for the chestplate. These seem just a touch longer. Perhaps this will improve the fit. Still need to lose poundage before the next test fit. The screws for the Helmet should arrive by Monday at the latest.

ZPPm0pI.jpg

You can find once you start trooping that you may need to make some adjustments, just for comfort and movement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You can find once you start trooping that you may need to make some adjustments, just for comfort and movement

Oh I'm sure of that.  The first few will be a learning experience.  

Helmet reassembled with the new liner. Missing screw replaced. Wasn't the same exact 1/4" size and not brass. But it works. Can't find that original screw anywhere. Dabbed the screw finish white on the outer helmet. Installed the acetate lens and installed a second nut to prevent it from happening again if I ever need to remove the lens. We'll see how this works out. 

b7w1xRY.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Inside of the helmet looks good, nice tidy job Rod.

Thank you Andrew.  Still have yet to install fans and get my head in there with my Icomm mic on.  I've been told I can install the mouth mesh and still meet approval.  So I may do that yet if there's no air interference.  I wouldn't want anything to block airflow and I think a mesh may stop breezes but I don't know.  I've resisted a plasti dip spray application as it could darken the outer.  So the public could see my mouth if I don't have the balaclava over it/speech with the mic.

Only thing I don't care for is the brow riding over my eyebrows, but I need to see nearer the ground and what's beneath or standing in front of me.  Hard to have a neck and still be able to see without the helmet riding on my head and shoulders.  Could be the weight on me affecting my shoulders and chest breadth.  The liner is not adjustable at all once it's installed.  No tilting.

Edited by Zinfer

Many of us use mesh on the teeth area, no issues with approval all the way to L3

I use a quick dry acrylic paint for the inside of the helmet, hasn't reacted with the ABS.

I've seen some use a water based acrylic and brush on, dries with a matt finish and is pretty durable once dry.

I tried a balaclava at first but it just increases the heat so I don't use one now.

• Like 1