What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

16 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I'm not aware of side shims being easy to install or remove.  

For basic approval it can be as easy as adding a piece of plastic behind, glue with E6000 so it can be removed, then add another piece on top of that so it meets the kidney plate. You don't have to use ABS paste or fill the joins so it's very easy to remove later ;) Disregard the velcro in the image below, should give you the idea though of what I'm talking about with the shim

img_8421.jpg.03f11477de83e3b90da3e0568c4616fa.jpg

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For basic approval it can be as easy as adding a piece of plastic behind, glue with E6000 so it can be removed, then add another piece on top of that so it meets the kidney plate. You don't have to use ABS paste or fill the joins so it's very easy to remove later ;) Disregard the velcro in the image below, should give you the idea though of what I'm talking about with the shim

img_8421.jpg.03f11477de83e3b90da3e0568c4616fa.jpg

Yea, but to do it properly, you'd need to slice and remove the left hinge elastics (3 of them).  FIND, buy and replace the uhm..rivets (Can't remember their name) and put shims equally on both sides for it to be accurate and good appearance, not just a single side.  Then undo all of that when you reach your target weight.  Or am I wrong?  Pretty sure I'm right.

5 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

Yea, but to do it properly, you'd need to slice and remove the left hinge elastics (3 of them).  FIND, buy and replace the uhm..rivets (Can't remember their name) and put shims equally on both sides for it to be accurate and good appearance, not just a single side.  Then undo all of that when you reach your target weight.  Or am I wrong?  Pretty sure I'm right.

Don't need rivets for basic approval or EI , BUT yes as you have added them you would need to add another 3 to add to your shim and replace the elastic, and yes shims would go on both sides.

Was just an option to give you basic 501st approval, but carry on with the weight loss :duim:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tat2trooper said:

Looking good though. I like the moment you realize you cant see to well either looking for the blaster haha. 

Not to mention the gasp for air after bucket removal..  :D  Thanks buddy.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tat2trooper said:

Fans are a must have.

Dude I had no idea the heat buildup.  Even removing my shins my legs could then breath.  Reminds me of the sand fleas in boot camp biting the crap outta me while standing at attention in boot camp.  Complete discipline.

Nothing better than standing in a doorway and the breeze hits all the openings that armor isn't' covering on a really hot troop. 

You can get very hot just standing in one spot ;) 

I was kind of surprised how ineffective and frankly a waste of money some of these helmet liner retailers are.  Really not happy with what I installed today.  It almost seems a hard hat suspension system would be more effective in how the helmet sits on your head over some of this rubbish out there.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helmet-EVA-Pads-19PCs-CS-Field-Outdoor-Tactical-Protective-Accessories-Set-US/392721498699?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

xGPAJbf.jpg

Edited by Zinfer

5 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I was kind of surprised how ineffective and frankly a waste of money some of these helmet liner retailers are.  Really not happy with what I installed today.  It almost seems a hard hat suspension system would be more effective in how the helmet sits on your head over some of this rubbish out there.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helmet-EVA-Pads-19PCs-CS-Field-Outdoor-Tactical-Protective-Accessories-Set-US/392721498699?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have a similar system in my biker helmet which works well but the biker helmet is a lot smaller.

For my Stormtrooper helmets I just go old skool, a thin piece of foam in the top and some square pieces on the sides to stop wobbling, sometimes the cheaper the more effective ;) 

lFLfvTg.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I have a similar system in my biker helmet which works well but the biker helmet is a lot smaller.

For my Stormtrooper helmets I just go old skool, a thin piece of foam in the top and some square pieces on the sides to stop wobbling, sometimes the cheaper the more effective ;) 

lFLfvTg.jpg

Yea, with all that padding I installed it still wobbles and sits too low on my head.  Can't turn my head, scruffs my back plate and just no neck at all.  Need to get it up off my head just a tad.  The only kind of control I have is the snap if I can get that snapped with gloves on.

I use hard hat inserts for all my helmets, except for one accuracy build. In my opinion my head stays cooler and obviously it doesn't move around. 

$10-15 at home depot

5 hours ago, ukswrath said:

I use hard hat inserts for all my helmets, except for one accuracy build. In my opinion my head stays cooler and obviously it doesn't move around. 

$10-15 at home depot

Do you just then glue it to the interior with E6000?

9 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

Do you just then glue it to the interior with E6000?

No, industrial strength velcro, here's a photo. Disregard where my finger is pointing and look at the insert mounting tabs. 

IMG_7961.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

No, industrial strength velcro, here's a photo. Disregard where my finger is pointing and look at the insert mounting tabs. 

IMG_7961.jpg

I like it, nice and clean.   Went browsing for it on Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's, Walmart.  Is there a particular model #?  I presume this is a 'fixed' insert as there's no adjustment wheel.  Looking for one that fits in the bucket with no problems.

Edited by Zinfer

2 hours ago, Zinfer said:

I like it, nice and clean.   Went browsing for it on Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's, Walmart.  Is there a particular model #?  I presume this is a 'fixed' insert as there's no adjustment wheel.  Looking for one that fits in the bucket with no problems.

Most models will fit, I went with the non wheel so I can pack more stuff in my helmet. How many times are you actually going to adjust your insert once set? never.

20 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Most models will fit, I went with the non wheel so I can pack more stuff in my helmet. How many times are you actually going to adjust your insert once set? never.

I just saw one on TrooperBay.  Ordered.

• Like 1

A touch of helmet work today. A few dabs of some E6000 between the trim and lip to keep the helmet trim in place. Letting it cure overnight. Need to wipe the bucket down as there appears to be some kind of residue just below the left eye.

dyqwT2E.jpg

5pRZekj.jpg

MtAQg8A.jpg

Don't feel bad.

How it was - 2005

image.png

image.png

Later, for a book photo shoot.

image.png

This one has been used for FISD merch.  Should look very familiar.
KMP__0585.jpg

So, it gets better :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Yup, me again. See?  You can do it too :)

TK8020WithBook.jpg?width=1920&height=108

Saweet!  SO how did you do it?  I'm in little Lima, Ohio.  I'm not sure how I go about getting Pro pics taken here or anywhere in Ohio.

No worries. I was partly referring to my armor as well.  The first one in 2005 was FX armor I put together myself and these were my 501st submission pictures.  The second set was a TE2 suit I helped pull while visiting Guns in Hawai'i and was built by Wyatt and painted by Mike Appling.  I was trying to make a joke that how our armor starts is now how it may end up, e.g. "how it started" meme.

As for photos, yes these were taken by a professional for a book promotion and it was just luck that the shoot was held here in Seattle and I was the only EI trooper in my garrison at the time.

That said, I found it best to get someone who you know through your garrison or other affinity group who is a professional photographer, or at least a very good one, to take the photos for you.  Spouses sometimes are not the best as they don't think that a rotated shoulder is a big deal, etc.

Below is one that a Masonic brother of mine took for us.  He had a studio and let my garrison drop by for some photo shoots (that is me as the officer).

e-rayofBarnsbrain_36.jpg

The advantage of a professional is that they are masters of lighting, etc. No way you could get this type of shot at your house.

• Like 2

TE2 was def better fit.  The FX was just a tad short for you as you know, with the right shin.  :)  I'm sure alot more differences.  But looked great on you anyways.  Def a nice fit all around.

6 hours ago, Daetrin said:

As for photos, yes these were taken by a professional for a book promotion and it was just luck that the shoot was held here in Seattle and I was the only EI trooper in my garrison at the time.

great photos !!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1