What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

16 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I'm thinking best approach is to drill the previous snaps out.

Yes I would remove those, use a sharp drill bit on low speed and apply a little pressure, keep the heat down.

Pulled the original button snaps off the torso using a drill. Replaced button snaps with Heavy Duty beefier Line 24 male snaps. Now for the canvas belt work of replacing all the snaps.

60jvzXX.jpg

lAVCWxT.jpg

xnQt84n.jpg

I'm really feeling like placing velcro in the center of the torso rather than installing a 3rd snap.  Check me if I'm right, but I'm thinking this is better than a misaligned snap.  Now for the canvas belt itself and plastic ammo section.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

Either would work, at least using velcro will allow you to adjust position.

I used a snap, I kitted up then made sure the belt was sitting in the right position, taped were the top of the belt sat on AB then worked out the snap position from there, really wasn't that hard to do.

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Either would work, at least using velcro will allow you to adjust position.

I used a snap, I kitted up then made sure the belt was sitting in the right position, taped were the top of the belt sat on AB then worked out the snap position from there, really wasn't that hard to do.

I mean if I used a hot iron to poke a hole that left a mark on the torso that'd do.  Just wondering who has actually cleaned or washed (and I imagine wash would be dry cleaners due to all the fray on both edges) their belt.  Mine is bright white, not a cream color.

I've washed one of my belts before, a youngling smudged icecream on it, although I don't have any fraying and none of my hardware on the belt would rust and leave marks, I tested them before washing ;) 

I am so very excited.  Nearing the end of my build.  Finish this belt off.  Get the chest plate bracket loops sized right and I am all over weight loss to get that approval.  I can't wait to be a part and participate in my Garrison, meet new people and newfound friends.  It's gonna be a blast.

It's been a long haul from someone that's never had any experience in this kind of costume building and accuracy to actually beginning to LOOK LIKE a Movie StormTrooper.  Thanks guys for helping me get to just this point.  Bit of a ways to go yet - mainly my own problem in body shaping.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

Wrapped up the rework of the Belt last night. All the snaps replaced with Line 24 snaps. Alot of drilling out of original snaps. Tested and it appears to be holding well. Haven't test fitted again yet as it's not really time, no changes in weight. But the snaps ARE holding. I think I found my issue in that the main Torso Belt snaps appear to be VERY close tolerance distance and that was leading to the original snaps failing. Too tight. I'll let it fly for now. Still need to have some velcro sewn on the inside for the inside center of it to hold it up and in place. Going to run to JoAnn fabrics today and find some velcro without the stickyback for fabric sewing. At least now I can remove the belt and have it cleaned if it ever needs to be. It is pure white, so you know.

YqxUsJW.jpg

7IkeOYh.jpg

HjIP4lk.jpg

cZfjwkM.jpg

Wx17o2t.jpg

IxagFwf.jpg

Nice work, you may want to add a little glue to the back at the top of the drop box or they will till backwards while wearing.

Wx17o2t.thumb.jpg.fd35ec29d45c8261e6114201274efa3c.jpg

36 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, you may want to add a little glue to the back at the top of the drop box or they will till backwards while wearing.

Wx17o2t.thumb.jpg.fd35ec29d45c8261e6114201274efa3c.jpg

You're right.  I didn't notice this.  I'll go up a bit higher with some E6000.  Just took care of it.  Glued, clamped for overnight cure.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zinfer said:

It's about time to get just a little work done on the E-11 prop. I need more parts yet for my cheapo blaster prop.

ByWFC3O.jpg

MwgZX6K.jpg

A question for any CRL team here:

I do the trading cards for my local garrison, and our rules state that the costume must only have props listed in the CRL (for instance, we had a Shoretrooper holding a Deathtrooper grenade, and while one did use it in Rogue One, it is not part of that costume's CRL).  A while back I was unable to complete a card for a member, because the blaster didn't look like an E-11 at all in the front angle the way the trooper was holding it. Looking at this blaster here, I am now certain it was one of these, with the cross-hair detail on the front of the scope and that muzzle shape on the front. I passed it to a few other TK members, and they didn't know what it was either.

Because we couldn't identify it as an E-11, I bounced the card before cutting it out because I honestly thought it was some other Star Wars blaster from the front. Is this one still approvable as a blaster for an ANH Stunt? If so, I can go back and finish that card. If not, then that will be good for @Zinfer to know as well before putting too much work into this. I am aware for Basic, a blaster is not required, I just mean is this specific version approvable?

46 minutes ago, OddViking327 said:

A question for any CRL team here:

I do the trading cards for my local garrison, and our rules state that the costume must only have props listed in the CRL (for instance, we had a Shoretrooper holding a Deathtrooper grenade, and while one did use it in Rogue One, it is not part of that costume's CRL).  A while back I was unable to complete a card for a member, because the blaster didn't look like an E-11 at all in the front angle the way the trooper was holding it. Looking at this blaster here, I am now certain it was one of these, with the cross-hair detail on the front of the scope and that muzzle shape on the front. I passed it to a few other TK members, and they didn't know what it was either.

Because we couldn't identify it as an E-11, I bounced the card before cutting it out because I honestly thought it was some other Star Wars blaster from the front. Is this one still approvable as a blaster for an ANH Stunt? If so, I can go back and finish that card. If not, then that will be good for @Zinfer to know as well before putting too much work into this. I am aware for Basic, a blaster is not required, I just mean is this specific version approvable?

Really depends on your garrison and GML, some allow some don't, locally we don't allow any accessory which is not an option for that particular costume for basic approval / trading cards or LFL / cannon events, for general use we aren't as strict, it's a little like a Stormtrooper wearing a pauldron ;) .

From the CRLBased on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster. "modified commercial toy" so the Hasbro seen in previous post is allowable with an upgrade kit (although I've seen some approved with just a basic Hasbro or Rubies blaster ) upgrades kits are around but unfortunately Doopy Doos are not contactable at the moment, there are other sellers out there, I've found a few on Etsy.

So I would definitely speak with your GCO and GML as to their requirements (but really it should be upgraded ;) )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Really depends on your garrison and GML, some allow some don't, locally we don't allow any accessory which is not an option for that particular costume for basic approval / trading cards or LFL / cannon events, for general use we aren't as strict, it's a little like a Stormtrooper wearing a pauldron ;) .

From the CRLBased on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster. "modified commercial toy" so the Hasbro seen in previous post is allowable with an upgrade kit (although I've seen some approved with just a basic Hasbro or Rubies blaster ) upgrades kits are around but unfortunately Doopy Doos are not contactable at the moment, there are other sellers out there, I've found a few on Etsy.

So I would definitely speak with your GCO and GML as to their requirements (but really it should be upgraded ;) )

Oh I know buddy.  Yea you know I've been hunting high and low for a Doopy kit or something otherwise affordable.  I wouldn't dare submit with that prop.  I was looking at Quest but I guess they don't have the magazine box.  I'm searching for a worthy prop E11 but Im really not in a financial position to spend multiple hundreds for a single prop.

• Like 2

Thinking this has got it. Checking with Garrison and Legion. Looks like I may need a popsickle stick to get rid of some of that glue residue under the button panel. It's hidden by the belt anyways, but I know it's there.

ju9XN7P.jpg

GyMkulW.jpg

G9fVrcQ.jpg

• Like 1

Doing another trial fit this weekend after this last cure session on the belt.  Probably tomorrow night.  Full suit up.  I know the torso's gonna look trash with my waist size in the high 40's.  But peeps wanna see overall the entire thing and it's fit.  The only thing that sucks is no spotter.  All on my own putting all this on for a photo shoot of timer photography with a cheap camera on a cheap tripod. :D  I'll run a walking video as well.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

Huh!  Just noticed that bottom crotch line is off from the rest of the costume.

They are ;) 

gallery_12157_16_7278.jpg

Just back on the blaster, it is not a requirement for basic approval to have a weapon, so you have some time up your sleeve even after approval to find something suitable.

• Like 1

First FULL FIT balaclava, neck seal, gloves the whole bit.  Don't judge too harshly.  Just a first full fitting.  I brushed my belt which unsnapped one.  Couldn't get it resnapped.  Really needed a spotter.  Unable to get the detonator on back.  Just a trial full fit.  Helmet padding needed.  Clamshell unable to close, no side snaps engaged.  In order to fix these things I need to stop eating entirely and cardio biking all summer long.  Unable to take photos as gloves were blocking and unable to see.  Got pretty steamy inside the bucket.  Was easier to take a video than to timer snap photos.  Video upcoming via Youtube.  Wore my butt out!  Sweaty experience.

I was patrolling the arcade for some Droids I was looking for. 

vqHrljM.jpg

All perceived flaws were due to the clamshell not fully closing on the right.  SO Yea I have ALOT of work to do with my body.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

Only way I could do a photo shoot is with a spotter and photographer, so I'mma need someone else to shoot the application photos when I actually apply.  Tried doing this by myself - a big NOPE!  :D  Video was the best way to display the first full fitting attempt.

• Like 2

Very hard to do it by yourself, overall looking good.

You may want to drop your thighs a little, appears you butt plate is getting hit and knocked backwards when walking, tighter elastic between the cod and butt plate can help, also right thigh needs rotating inwards. There is a large gap between the top of your shoulder bell and the shoulder straps on the right side, perhaps some tighter strapping, doubled over elastic normally helps.

You could add some side shims to close that gap then remove later once you loose the weight.

A couple of threads to look over

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Very hard to do it by yourself, overall looking good.

You may want to drop your thighs a little, appears you butt plate is getting hit and knocked backwards when walking, tighter elastic between the cod and butt plate can help, also right thigh needs rotating inwards. There is a large gap between the top of your shoulder bell and the shoulder straps on the right side, perhaps some tighter strapping, doubled over elastic normally helps.

You could add some side shims to close that gap then remove later once you loose the weight.

A couple of threads to look over

Yea let me get closer to my weight goal.  I do not like the way the butt plate looked.  I will need to probably cut the elastic and bring that in and under. All the offsets I see including the shoulder bell is due to the clamshell not closing.  I'm not aware of side shims being easy to install or remove.  I just think I need to do it right the old fashioned way.  Sweat blood and tears my way back 20 or 30 pounds.  :D.  I didn't even ATTEMPT to snap the right closure.

• Like 1